Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Assuming Johnson bolts in the offseason I wouldn't mind giving Dorsey at look at OC, as mentioned I don't think he was the real problem there. 

I think it's far more likely that the OC would be promoted from within. The relationship between Campbell, Johnson, and Goff is too important to risk bringing in extraneous factors to replace Johnson. If Glenn leaves, then DC is a position I could see us going outside the organization for. Probably will be lots of good options too.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it's far more likely that the OC would be promoted from within. The relationship between Campbell, Johnson, and Goff is too important to risk bringing in extraneous factors to replace Johnson. If Glenn leaves, then DC is a position I could see us going outside the organization for. Probably will be lots of good options too.

im beginning to think its likely aaron glenn will leave at the end of the year.  the defense isnt really keeping up with the offense as far as improvements.

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Is it Aaron Glenn, or is it personnel?

Missing 1 better CB or 1 better pass-rusher or both...?

The D was not good last season and they invested only moderately over the off-season so I don't know why anyone would have expected it to reach top echelon. Starting from last season, to achieve a middling D in one season was a realistic target, and that is about where they are. But with this offense a middling D still got them to 7-2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The D was not good last season and they invested only moderately over the off-season so I don't know why anyone would have expected it to reach top echelon. Starting from last season, to achieve a middling D in one season was a realistic target, and that is about where they are. But with this offense a middling D still got them to 7-2

The secondary I understand. They added four pieces in Sutton, CJGJ, Moseley, and Branch. Injuries have plagued three of them, and one of them was a rookie to start.

The defensive line is more puzzling. They knew Hutchinson couldn't do it on his own. He was not good last year when teams could just double team him, knowing the other side wasn't a problem. It's what made James Houston so dynamic. I don't understand what they saw in Charles Harris that made them say, "no let's not address that position". The game plan would work if we had two pass rushers who could get home in a one-on-one scenario, but they only have one. They have no one to blame but themselves for that missing piece.

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Is it Aaron Glenn, or is it personnel?

Missing 1 better CB or 1 better pass-rusher or both...?

It's Glenn. Keenan Allen tears up the field, goes out with an injury, Chargers don't miss a beat and keep tearing up the field - without their best offensive weapon.

When guys like Gus freakin' Edwards can burn you for an 80 yard play, that isn't talent. It's scheme. It's Harbaugh knowing exactly what to do to easily toy with Glenn's defense, and it was embarrassing 

They were the worst defense in the NFL last year. Now they are middle of the pack. Top third of the league in yards allowed, slightly below average in points allowed. And this is with injuries to their top two defensive free agent signings and to their top rotational pass rusher. Clearly they aren’t executing like they think they should and that is ultimately on Glenn. But I’m not sure anyone could reasonably expect them to have performed much better given the circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

They were the worst defense in the NFL last year. Now they are middle of the pack. Top third of the league in yards allowed, slightly below average in points allowed. And this is with injuries to their top two defensive free agent signings and to their top rotational pass rusher. Clearly they aren’t executing like they think they should and that is ultimately on Glenn. But I’m not sure anyone could reasonably expect them to have performed much better given the circumstances. 

I think you're right about all that, but it just seems whenever they face a good QB and a halfway decent offense this year, it’s not like Glenn’s defense gets beat. They get absolutely blown off the field. Like, 2008 Lions blown off the field. They added Sutton, they have some talented young players in Branch, Joseph, Campbell, Hutch, Alim... is it all them? Or is Glenn simply being out coached? 

Until LA finally scored a touchdown, that goal line stand by the Lions was amazing. I think there’s definitely talent on that defense. And Glenn is good against the run - I’ll give him that. Yet the Seattle, Baltimore, and LA games… I just find it hard to believe the LBs and secondary are THAT bad. There’s something else going on

One other thought… we heard Campbell in the presser, again, talk about communication problems on the defense. So we’re still talking about communication problems on the defense? After 9 games? I also thought it was interesting when Campbell said after the Baltimore blowout that certain players on defense need to be more disciplined, especially when playing contain. You have to lay these issues at Glenn’s feet. I don’t mean to harp on the guy, but I don't think it’s just the players.

It's been an awesome season and there's really nothing at all to complain about. I just think this could be a concern in the postseason

20 minutes ago, number20 said:

One other thought… we heard Campbell in the presser, again, talk about communication problems on the defense. So we’re still talking about communication problems on the defense? After 9 games? I also thought it was interesting when Campbell said after the Baltimore blowout that certain players on defense need to be more disciplined, especially when playing contain. You have to lay these issues at Glenn’s feet. I don’t mean to harp on the guy, but I don't think it’s just the players.

It's been an awesome season and there's really nothing at all to complain about. I just think this could be a concern in the postseason

Yes, this seems to be what Campbell is concerned about. He was complaining about the defense not being able to deal with motion and hurry up, which seem like basic things they need to handle.

OTOH if someone told me that they would sign two new starters in the defensive backfield who would both miss almost the entire season, and their pass rushing phenom would miss almost the entire season, and they’d still improve to be an average defense, I would have thought that’s a pretty good outcome under the circumstances.  

So the Raiders had this Airing Of Grievances meeting with Josh McDaniels where the players absolutely laid into him and Josh  sat their silently.   Then LB Coach Antonio Pierce spoke up to defend McDaniels and told them that they had to build their own thing, their own identity and that needs to start now and then he said that nobody thought his Giants team could beat the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl, but the Giants internally believed they could beat anyone on any given Sunday and that the Raiders needed to find that mentality. 

Apparently after that meeting McDaniels went ballistic on Pierce for talking about beating the Patriots team he was part of in a "don't ever talk about the Patriots like that" and that was the moment where Mark Davis said "I've seen enough"

Then Josh McDaniels calls his kids home from Trick Or Treating to tell them he was fired.    Couldn't wait?   And by the way, "Daddy got fired" still means Daddy is getting millions. 

That is one weird guy.       McDaniels and Patricia are two sides of the same coin and players HATE them.   

I just want to say, that I am right about things maybe about 7 or 8 times a year and that's about it.   When the Raiders hired McDaniels, on the old board, I said it would be a disaster.     The league will be so much better off when all these Belichick errand boys are out of it.    Guess Bill O'Brien will probably get another shot, for some reason, and that could be the end of it.  

• Like 1

Not that power rankings mean a whole lot but depending on which ones you look at the NFC has 4 of the top 5.

Just pointing that out cause all year the narrative was that the NFC was wide open and the AFC was much tougher but with teams like Buffalo, Cincy and Jax not being as good as many suspected maybe it's the NFC that is actually the tougher conference, atleast at the top anyway.

39 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So the Raiders had this Airing Of Grievances meeting with Josh McDaniels where the players absolutely laid into him and Josh  sat their silently.   Then LB Coach Antonio Pierce spoke up to defend McDaniels and told them that they had to build their own thing, their own identity and that needs to start now and then he said that nobody thought his Giants team could beat the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl, but the Giants internally believed they could beat anyone on any given Sunday and that the Raiders needed to find that mentality. 

Apparently after that meeting McDaniels went ballistic on Pierce for talking about beating the Patriots team he was part of in a "don't ever talk about the Patriots like that" and that was the moment where Mark Davis said "I've seen enough"

Then Josh McDaniels calls his kids home from Trick Or Treating to tell them he was fired.    Couldn't wait?   And by the way, "Daddy got fired" still means Daddy is getting millions. 

That is one weird guy.       McDaniels and Patricia are two sides of the same coin and players HATE them.   

I just want to say, that I am right about things maybe about 7 or 8 times a year and that's about it.   When the Raiders hired McDaniels, on the old board, I said it would be a disaster.     The league will be so much better off when all these Belichick errand boys are out of it.    Guess Bill O'Brien will probably get another shot, for some reason, and that could be the end of it.  

I had heard about the airing of grievances but not about Pierce’s NYG flex. That is awesome. All of these coaches have been riding Brady’s coattails. Even Belichick. 

16 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I had heard about the airing of grievances but not about Pierce’s NYG flex. That is awesome. All of these coaches have been riding Brady’s coattails. Even Belichick. 

I agree.  I think Belichick is very overrated - especially as a GM.  Just look at the roster.   The best move he ever lucked into is taking Brady, who he passed on at least 5 times.    If Drew Bledsoe never got hurt, would the Pats have all those Super Bowls.      Belichick is a great defensive coach, but yeah, it was Brady, it was always Brady. 

And speaking of Brady,  when Harbaugh scurries to the NFL to avoid punishment (Washington Commanders),  you know people are going to start cheerleading for Brady to be Michigan's next head coach.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It was always Brady.

Maybe it’s just me, but I find the whole Dan Campbell to Texas A&M rumors, even if just media nonsense, to be so insulting to this organization. It’s like they think of us like a MAC school where success isn’t expected but if you get it, you can use it as a launching point to a better job. We ARE the better job (we are also the one who knocks).

I know it would never happen, but that’s not the point. How come Kyle Shanahan isn’t rumored to the Texas job every time that’s open? Or Zac Taylor to Nebraska?

Keep winning and change this narrative of the Lions bring some poverty organization.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I find the whole Dan Campbell to Texas A&M rumors, even if just media nonsense, to be so insulting to this organization. It’s like they think of us like a MAC school where success isn’t expected but if you get it, you can use it as a launching point to a better job. We ARE the better job (we are also the one who knocks).

I know it would never happen, but that’s not the point. How come Kyle Shanahan isn’t rumored to the Texas job every time that’s open? Or Zac Taylor to Nebraska?

Keep winning and change this narrative of the Lions bring some poverty organization.

The media are like mice in those experiments that just push buttons to see which ones produce food pellets. 

• Like 1