Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Goff actually won the game for us. Two of those picks weren't his fault. One was tipped and on another, LaPorta got interfered with, not called, and it threw him out of position. Those last 2 TD drives by him just seemed inevitable. Like we could see it coming...

because the bears dropped a pick 6.

Trevor Lawrence hasn't exactly lived up to his hype but he was atleast solid to good last year and is at the helm of a playoff team this year so makes me wonder how different things would be for the Jets if they didn't win that meaningless game at the end of the 2020 season that cost them the number 1 pick.  

Eagles have the Bills, 49ers, Cowboys, Seahawks, Giants x2, and Cardinals left. It’s probably not realistic to expect the Lions go 7-0. Our best hope is probably to go 6-1 and finish 14-3 (which is crazy). Unless that loss is to the Broncos, we probably need the Eagles to lose two against the 49ers/Cowboys/Seahawks or three generally, for the Lions to get the #1 seed.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The 2 seed may be preferable.  Their first playoff game would be against a weak 7th seed. As the 1 seed, you're looking at either Dallas or Seattle. Better chance to get the no playoff wins since 1991 off your back and maybe Dallas can pull the upset on the Eagles and the Lions host the NFC Championship. 

The bye puts you only two games from a Super Bowl, and in a league where on any given Sunday you can lose to the Bears over 56 minutes I think that’s preferable.

But you’re right that matchups wise, you’re probably looking at like Vikings/Packers/Rams, then the 49ers, then whoever is left. Which is actually a decent path for the Lions, matchups wise. I wouldn’t love playing the Vikings three times in four weeks, though I don’t think it’s an inherent disadvantage.

I think if the Lions get the #2 seed the likeliest 1st round matchup would be Seattle. Half a game up on #7 seed Minnesota at the moment but with a brutal schedule coming up. 

A win Thursday would virtually clinch an actual playoff spot for the Lions without Detroit having to win another game. Any team that could knock them out of the wildcard is at 4-6 and the Lions have already beaten a few of them - Tampa, Atlanta and Green Bay.