Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Oh, now the big media is griping about the NFL's officiating problem. Why, because Precious Patrick Mahomes had a tantrum? You're realizing this now? Hey Big Media, do you have a few hours to go over how the Lions have been screwed by bad calls for decades? Not talking about yesterday, they soundly lost that one, but we have had epic inexplicable calls that cost us games and even playoff games. Oh, but Precious Patrick got wronged. Well, screw him and his stupid brother too. Sick of both of them.

Green Bay (several times)   Phantom facemask calls - Aaron knew that if the pocket collapsed, he only need to jerk his head back.   Worked several times

The Seattle end zone tap-out play

The Atlanta TD overturn, clock runoff game

Calvin's CLEAR catch

And of course, the Dallas pick up (after the officials' boss hung out with Jerry Jones). 

But no, Patrick is upset so we'd better look at things.   The Golden Boy's having a rough year.   Maybe if he focused more on football than making the endless ****ing commercials, he'd be playing better.      Maybe at home to a struggling and mediocre Bills team, who's coach used terrorism as a teaching moment,  they should not have been in a one-score game if they are such a great team, 

But yeah, the officials are bad now, they made Patrick cry. 

44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Chiefs went an entire game with their RT in the backfield and false starting every play and they meltdown when they are finally called for one formation penalty. 

I'm still waiting for a Detroit coach to go up to the podium after one of these blown calls and simply point out that the officials had a bad day. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

I'm still waiting for a Detroit coach to go up to the podium after one of these blown calls and simply point out that the officials had a bad day. 

I'm not sure what all the public complaining about officiating accomplishes, or what the end goal is.

Despite all the mistakes, these are humans at the end of the day. Just like a human athlete is going to line up offsides inexplicably, or jump the snap on 4th and 13 inexplicably, sometimes a human official (who is making significantly less than those athletes) will miss a blatant pass interference, or err on the side of not throwing an intentional grounding penalty that should be called. It's all a part of the game.

There are arguments to be made that at least some contingent of the officials should be full-time year-round NFL employees... But I have a hard time believing these aren't the best individuals in the world at what they do. Those with a long-term memory still have nightmares from how badly their replacements stunk up the joint ten years ago or so.... It's just a really hard job, and I don't think Patrick Mahomes acting like a toddler on the sideline after a clearly correct call helps make it any easier.

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The entitlement by the Chiefs gets me. They see to finally acknowledge begrudgingly that Toney was offside but he should have been warned. It's not the refs job to make sure you line up correctly. You can ask the ref but he is under no obligation to move you before the ball is snapped.  

Warnings are for when your OT is maybe just a little too far off the line. Not when your WR is so far across the line that the wing official is screened from even seeing the ball. That would get called in high school JV, let alone the NFL.