Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm not sure what all the public complaining about officiating accomplishes, or what the end goal is.

Despite all the mistakes, these are humans at the end of the day. Just like a human athlete is going to line up offsides inexplicably, or jump the snap on 4th and 13 inexplicably, sometimes a human official (who is making significantly less than those athletes) will miss a blatant pass interference, or err on the side of not throwing an intentional grounding penalty that should be called. It's all a part of the game.

There are arguments to be made that at least some contingent of the officials should be full-time year-round NFL employees... But I have a hard time believing these aren't the best individuals in the world at what they do. Those with a long-term memory still have nightmares from how badly their replacements stunk up the joint ten years ago or so.... It's just a really hard job, and I don't think Patrick Mahomes acting like a toddler on the sideline after a clearly correct call helps make it any easier.

I’m not saying I agree with Mahomes or Reid. I’m saying that other franchises make the NFL defend itself on pivotal calls. Detroit just lays there and takes it.

Would Detroit continue to be the poster child for egregious missed or manufactured calls if the officials had to go to the podium and answer questions about these calls? Maybe, but maybe not, or maybe not as much. Remember, the NFL let KC get away with (IIRC) eleven illegal formation and false start penalties against Detroit before calling one. I don’t know why they feel entitled to avoiding flags, but I’d like my franchise to try what KC is trying for a change. 

9 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I’m not saying I agree with Mahomes or Reid. I’m saying that other franchises make the NFL defend itself on pivotal calls. Detroit just lays there and takes it.

Would Detroit continue to be the poster child for egregious missed or manufactured calls if the officials had to go to the podium and answer questions about these calls? Maybe, but maybe not, or maybe not as much. Remember, the NFL let KC get away with (IIRC) eleven illegal formation and false start penalties against Detroit before calling one. I don’t know why they feel entitled to avoiding flags, but I’d like my franchise to try what KC is trying for a change. 

I think the Lions do too, but I think it's done behind closed doors. I seem to remember the Rams/Seahawks game that cost the Lions a playoff berth had numerous questionable (or worse) calls in it, and that it came out after the fact that Lions brass had privately complained to the NFL about it.

If you take yesterday for example though - could Campbell have complained post-game about Fields' intentional grounding that led to a touchdown? Yes. But that's an uncontrollable factor and wasted breath, the officials don't answer to him. His energy is better saved for privately chewing out Hutch for the bone-headed penalty that directly led to the touchdown. That's a controllable factor (or it should be if you're a good coaching staff).

The officials have made the NFL into Big Time Wresting. KC got hosed....again. A couple of weeks ago, Mahomes threw a game winning pass to the Green Bay 10 yard line. The receiver was totally interfered with and a ref was within 5 yards, staring right at it. It should have set up an easy game winning FG. Only the ref, for SOME reason, didn't make the easy and right call. He ignored it. How can a game be decided by a referee unless the fix is in? Why do coaches and players have post-game press conferences but the officiating crew is off limits? Why doesn't the NFL fire these guys who ignore obvious calls? And better yet, why aren't obvious calls allowed to be reviewed? The credibility of the NFL is being questioned by many, many people. Games shouldn't be decided by some part time (crooked??) officials. 

I never believed that games were fixed but I'm seeing more and more questionable calls. Is it because of the multi-million dollar gambling industry? Hmmmm.....

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Warnings are for when your OT is maybe just a little too far off the line. Not when your WR is so far across the line that the wing official is screened from even seeing the ball. That would get called in high school JV, let alone the NFL.

No, officials warn wide receivers multiple times every game. We just don't hear about it or see it. Ask any wide receiver and they'll tell you. I mean, how often do you see an offense offside penalty? Almost never...

GB getting free first downs from cheating refs.  Clearly short of the first down. Should have been a turnover on downs.  Instead it’s a first and then a 30 yard play on 1st down. Everything coming up anti lions. Vikings winning last night, packers getting lucky ass calls.

And packers score immediately, 6-0.  Nightmare of a weekend for the lions.  Nightmare.  I can’t see how they recover and win the division.  

10 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I've been watching Dolphins/Titans for fantasy implications, and I think I'm literally watching Mike Vrabel losing the will to live for every minute he has to watch Will Levis be his QB.

I needed an average Tyreek game.  Thats out. Fun stuff, sports.