Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Raiders are up 42-0 at halftime. They lost 3-0 last week. 

I know the Chargers are banged but this is exactly why people are correct in saying this is a week to week league and why you can't compare things by saying things like "Team x struggled against team y, team z dominated them so team z is better than x."

Edited by RandyMarsh

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know the Chargers are banged but this is exactly why people are correct in saying this is a week to week league and why you can't compare things by saying things like "Team x struggled against team y, team z dominated them so team z is better than x."

63-21.   Wow.  And Brandon Staley is a defensive-oriented coach.    I know there are only 3 games left for the Chargers, but I can't see, with a 10 day break, how he can remain Head Coach.   They should have canned him last year.    Can we get the Spanos family out of the NFL and move the Chargers back to San Diego?   Or even San Antonio?   Someplace that actually wants them.   That's an awful lot of wasted talent on that team.   I guess it doesn't matter if it's now or January, the Chargers are guaranteed a losing season now.   Some had them going to the Super Bowl.   Not with that coach. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Lincoln Riley ended up there, but of course, the Spanos family is "poor?" and can't pay for a big time coach. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

People are already speculating Bill Belichick to the Chargers.  LOL.   

He really needs to retire. He should have retired last year….. or the year before that.

His style of coaching only works when you’re winning. When you’re not, players will give up on him and not want to go to any city he’s in.

I know people will scoff at the idea of Glenn becoming a HC due to our defense but just cause you're not a good Coordinator doesn't mean you won't make a good HC or vice versa. Assuming the Lions win the division this year and God willing win a playoff game or 2(doesn't look good at the moment but who knows) I think teams will still be interested in Lions coaches due their perceived culture with Campbell and company.

The fact is that its a copycat league so teams may think Glenn could turn out like Campbell and bring that type of success to their team. I mean hell look at Matt Patricia getting hired by us, the Patriots defense was giving up nearly 30 a game under Patricia but he was still seen as a hot commodity since he was Belichek's perceived right hand man. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know people will scoff at the idea of Glenn becoming a HC due to our defense but just cause you're not a good Coordinator doesn't mean you won't make a good HC or vice versa. Assuming the Lions win the division this year and God willing win a playoff game or 2(doesn't look good at the moment but who knows) I think teams will still be interested in Lions coaches due their perceived culture with Campbell and company.

The fact is that its a copycat league so teams may think Glenn could turn out like Campbell and bring that type of success to their team. I mean hell look at Matt Patricia getting hired by us, the Patriots defense was giving up nearly 30 a game under Patricia but he was still seen as a hot commodity since he was Belichek's perceived right hand man. 

In Vrabel's one year as defensive coordinator for the Texans, they had the worst defense in the league and he was hired by the Titans 

Harbaugh has won every where he went so in that sense you have to believe in him but on the other hand he has been out of the NFL for a decade now and alot has changed in the league since then so if I was an NFL team I would tread carefully with him. Guys from his generation and age haven't exactly been taking the league by storm in recent years save for Andy Reid who has the best QB on the planet on his roster. And even his team appears to have taken some steps back after losing his hotshot assistants. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, buddha said:

harbaugh is going to use the michigan contract proposal to get himself a nice, cushy nfl gig.

He won't be the Chargers next Coach.  No way, The Spanos family won't spend that money.  They'll hire another coordiantor.   I know I mentioned Lincoln Riley, but they won't pay that.    I have no idea who the Chargers will hire. 

Which jobs will be open

New England

Washington

Carolina

LA Chargers

Chicago (maybe)

Atlanta (maybe)

New Orleans (maybe)

Of all of those, I think Washtington is the best one for Harbaugh because they want to make a big splash and return that team to greatness - it's been a sad 25+ years there - very Lionesque.    Harbaugh is a bit like Billy Martin - he's odd, he's annoying, he'll wear out his welcome, but if you want to turn a team around - he's your guy.  

New England could make him a huge offer. 

The Chargers won't spend the money

Carolina is a graveyard - No coach with any viable options would take this dumpster fire of a job.    They will take on a retread

I don't think Saleh's out in New York.     Between NOLA-ATL-TB, the two coaches who don't win the division are likely out.  

I know he supposedly doesn't get along with the GM but on the surface Chicago would be the best job. They have an up and coming team, 2 early 1st round picks including the number 1, money in FA and a potential asset in Fields if you decide to trade him. If you do the latter and draft Caleb or Maye you also get a year with limited expectations since most people don't expect you to be SB contenders with a rookie QB.

On top of that even though I like our future it's not like the Lions have a Patrick Mahomes or something that will guarantee that they are going to be contenders for the foreseeable future nor does the rest of the division so that makes it even more appealing. Again though this is just from an on field standpoint, have no idea how the relationship he has with upper management and or ownership could factor into that. 

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know he supposedly doesn't get along with the GM but on the surface Chicago would be the best job. They have an up and coming team, 2 early 1st round picks including the number 1, money in FA and a potential asset in Fields if you decide to trade him. If you do the latter and draft Caleb or Maye you also get a year with limited expectations since most people don't expect you to be SB contenders with a rookie QB.

On top of that even though I like our future it's not like the Lions have a Patrick Mahomes or something that will guarantee that they are going to be contenders for the foreseeable future nor does the rest of the division so that makes it even more appealing. Again though this is just from an on field standpoint, have no idea how the relationship he has with upper management and or ownership could factor into that. 

chicago isnt firing their coach.

Belichick needs to walk away from it all.   Look, he has more rings than any other coach in history, but I really do wonder how much of it was truly him and how much was Brady.   Plus, the cheating, which was normal for him.  He got caught cheating against the Bengals when their record was something like 1-13.  If he cheats against the worst team, he's probably doing it all the time.    Plus - his coaching tree - a never-ending string of arrogant failures.    If Bill was so great, wouldn't that rub off on at least SOME of his proteges?    And never forget, he made Matt Patricia a Co-offensive coordinator.  What a joke.