Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

16 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But it had the possibility of fumbling. Kinda scared me a bit.

For sure, or holding penalty.  Surely a 30 yard FG attempt, which the long reception had  already set up, is a higher % play than the chance of breaking a run up the middle for a 15 yard TD. 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

Does anyone remember this, because I have brought it up with friends around my age and nobody does, but I don't think I hallucinated it.     Right after a Steelers-Colts game in Baltimore (Bert Jones era), a plane crashed into the upper deck at Memorial Stadium.  I don't think anyone was killed or seriously hurt, but I still remember the newspaper picture of showing the plane crashed into the stands through the goal posts with a headline like "3 points" or something like that. 

Steelers destroyed the Colts so a lot of people had left before the game was over. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

28 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don’t remember that. But one of my first Lions memories was listening to a game from Baltimore in a car when the Lions blocked a punt in the final minute to pull out a stunning victory. Near the end of some mid-1970s season. I believe Bob Reynolds was doing play by play. 

Found it:

Edited by lordstanley

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I don’t remember that. But one of my first Lions memories was listening to a game from Baltimore in a car when the Lions blocked a punt in the final minute to pull out a stunning victory. Near the end of some mid-1970s season. I believe Bob Reynolds was doing play by play. 

Found it:

I was 12.  I went to the mall that day with me mum.   I was at JC Penny watching this game in their TV section and my mom said let's go, its over - as I saw the Punter taking the field.       Got into the car, turned on the radio and they were going crazy about the win.    Totally missed it.   My mom's fault. 

19 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Found it:

Nice find. At the end, it said if Baltimore were to beat New England in the next week, they would make the playoffs? That was when New England were the AFC doormats. So my question, did they beat New England the following week? 🤔🤔

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Nice find. At the end, it said if Baltimore were to beat New England in the next week, they would make the playoffs? That was when New England were the AFC doormats. So my question, did they beat New England the following week? 🤔🤔

They did! Go to the 21 minute mark for an exciting and controversial finish. 

As Paul Harvey used to say ..now you know the rest of the story. 

D375B5CB-76BE-45E6-8C68-7A0DDAA9ABC8.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why?   if they lose they can't catch us and we own any tiebreakers against TB from head-to-head

The only thing I can think of is that if the Packers were eliminated before the Vikings game in week 17 they would not give full effort? But I think that would take a loss to the Panthers next week, which would be a tall task. A 9-8 team probably makes it as the #7 seed this year. Even 8-9 might. And I think the Packers would love to knock the Vikings out of the North race anyway (we could be rooting for them in that game, maybe that’s what you were thinking of).

I will definitely take the Packers getting eliminated.