Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

6 hours ago, buddha said:

lions 2024 schedule if season ended today:

away:

cardinals, texans, colts, niners, cowboys/eagles, bears, vikings, packers

home:

rams, seahawks(!), jags, titans, bucs, dolphins, vikings, bears, packers.

tough schedule on paper.  the price of success. 

Away schedule was as tough this year. Chiefs-Bucs-Ravens-Chargers-Saints instead of Cardinals-Texans-Colts-Niners. Other four the same. 9 road games this year, 8 next year. 

Home comparable to next year. Falcons-Panthers-Raiders-Broncos this year instead of Rams-Jags-Titans-Bucs-Dolphins. Other four the same. 8 home games this year, 9 next year. 

Tommy DeVito's agent is going into the Italian American Sports Hall Of Fame.   That's ridiculous.  Why, because he dressed like a gangster on MNF?   

The only teams that can catch the Lions now are  Minnesota, the LA Rams and Seattle and they all must go undefeated .   

Minnesota   2 vs. Detroit and 1 vs. Green Bay  

LA Rams   vs. NOLA,  @ NY Giants  @ San Francisco   

Seattle  vs. Philly,  @ Tennessee,  vs. Pittsburgh, @ Arizona. 

If they all went undefeated, then the Lions miss the playoffs.   Not very likely. 

The following 7-7 teams can't pass the Lions (but one may win the division):   New Orleans & Tampa Bay  

It's a virtual lock.    it would take a miracle. 

So I think we root for Seattle tonight because with Dallas getting crumpled yesterday, #2 is within reach

the Dallas game is in Prime Time, by the way and if the division is up for grabs in week 18, the last game will be as well.   

Just beat Minnesota next week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tommy DeVito's agent is going into the Italian American Sports Hall Of Fame.   That's ridiculous.  Why, because he dressed like a gangster on MNF?   

The only teams that can catch the Lions now are  Minnesota, the LA Rams and Seattle and they all must go undefeated .   

Minnesota   2 vs. Detroit and 1 vs. Green Bay  

LA Rams   vs. NOLA,  @ NY Giants  @ San Francisco   

Seattle  vs. Philly,  @ Tennessee,  vs. Pittsburgh, @ Arizona. 

If they all went undefeated, then the Lions miss the playoffs.   Not very likely. 

All those teams could go undefeated and the lions beat Dallas and the lions win the division.  

19 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

All those teams could go undefeated and the lions beat Dallas and the lions win the division.  

Yeah, I think 11 different results all have to happen for the Lions to miss the playoffs. Lions lose all 3, Seattle win all 4, Rams win all 3, and Minnesota loses to GB. If for simplicity you assume any one of those results is around 50/50, the odds of all 11 happening are approximately 1 in 10,000 I believe. 

Even the chances of winning the division are roughly as good as being up 3-0 in a best of seven playoff series. Lions have 4 cracks at winning the division (their own 3 games plus Minnesota-Green Bay).  3 of those 4 chances are road games though. 

Edited by lordstanley

13 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Yeah, I think 11 different results all have to happen for the Lions to miss the playoffs. Lions lose all 3, Seattle win all 4, Rams win all 3, and Minnesota loses to GB. If for simplicity you assume any one of those results is around 50/50, the odds of all 11 happening are approximately 1 in 10,000 I believe. 

Even the chances of winning the division are roughly as good as being up 3-0 in a best of seven playoff series. Lions have 4 cracks at winning the division (their own 3 games plus Minnesota-Green Bay).  3 of those 4 chances are road games though. 

With the Rams, there is a very good chance that SF has #1 wrapped up by then and won't play a lot of their starters. 

with Seattle.  They are not going to win all 4 games.   Geno ain't playing the Lions and they haven't been that impressive tis year.

Plus Nick Mullins doesn't scare me like Dobbs would, but of course, they haven't announced the starter yet, have they? 

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

With the Rams, there is a very good chance that SF has #1 wrapped up by then and won't play a lot of their starters. 

with Seattle.  They are not going to win all 4 games.   Geno ain't playing the Lions and they haven't been that impressive tis year.

Plus Nick Mullins doesn't scare me like Dobbs would, but of course, they haven't announced the starter yet, have they? 

The Vikings haven't officially announced it but sources are saying it is Mullens. It would be wise for Minnesota to at least keep Dobbs active. 

20 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

NEW HOT SEAT RANKINS  (Week 15, Post-Staley)

Interim Coaches do not qualify

1. Ron Rivera, Washington  -  New ownership will want their own guy.  Can't believe he's still there.  

2. Arthur Smith, Atlanta - He hasn't  moved the needle and a loss to Carolina?   Yikes

3. Robert Saleh, NY Jets - I think it all depends on what Aaron says, but after 30-0, he's in trouble

4. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh - Rare that they would fire a coach, but it's gotten stale

5. Mike Vrabel, Tennessee - I have to have 5, he's number 5, but not sure he'd get the boot.   If he does, he'll be New England's guy.  

I can only see Tomlin and Vrabel being gone if they choose to resign, I can't see Saleh being fired yet either due to the Rodgers injury. Rivera and Smith are toast. McDermott is likely gone if the Bills miss the playoffs or even if they lose in the 1st round I'd think. 

27 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

NFL= not for long. Get a little film on a guy, find his weakness, and he’s done. 

I've watched Minnesota the last couple of weeks. Their defense may be a problem but the Lions defense shouldn't have a problem with such an inept offense. Luckily, it's not the SOL. We're 5-2 on the road and we should wrap up the division this week!

31 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

They ain’t kidding. I just looked when I saw this, 73% increase on mine.

That's ****ty.  I haven't talked to my friend yet but he had tickets from the Silverdome days until about 5 or 6 years ago.  He finally had enough and felt like a sap writing that check. A few years ago they reached out to him and he went back.  Now this?  

Of course they see the resale market and I know many who get the tickets, sell off Thanksgiving, plus a GB game and a few others at double the price and end up covering their whole lot so I guess supply/demand is at play here.   But I also know many who go to every single game.

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

That's ****ty.  I haven't talked to my friend yet but he had tickets from the Silverdome days until about 5 or 6 years ago.  He finally had enough and felt like a sap writing that check. A few years ago they reached out to him and he went back.  Now this?  

Of course they see the resale market and I know many who get the tickets, sell off Thanksgiving, plus a GB game and a few others at double the price and end up covering their whole lot so I guess supply/demand is at play here.   But I also know many who go to every single game.

I’m pretty pissed. I fully expected an increase after prices have been stagnant since 2018. But for being a “Lions Loyal Membership” I definitely expect that they’re going to price out some of their most loyal fans.

I don’t think it would be too much to ask to announce a three-year price increase of this sort... An additional 25% per year instead of 73% all at once would take a lot of the sting away.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

17 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’m pretty pissed. I fully expected an increase after prices have been stagnant since 2018. But for being a “Lions Loyal Membership” I definitely expect that they’re going to price out some of their most loyal fans.

I don’t think it would be too much to ask to announce a three-year price increase of this sort... An additional 25% per year instead of 73% all at once would take a lot of the sting away.

Yep. They've built up a lot of goodwill this year, enough to even make me pay attention. And honestly.... they do not need the money.  I wouldn't be surprised if they walk this back some.

I don't like to disrespect you guys by calling myself a Lions fan because I know real fans take the bad with the good.  I'm fair weather.   It's been a lot of fun to watch this year. I've watched more football this year than any time since the 90's.  A home playoff game will be the biggest sporting event in the city of Detroit... ever.  Just a single home game. Bigger than a WS game..... bigger than a Stanley Cup and bigger than the Super Bowl when it was here.  You guys earned this and for this to happen is lousy, especially right down the stretch since you should be feelilng great as the season winds down.

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

Yep. They've built up a lot of goodwill this year, enough to even make me pay attention. And honestly.... they do not need the money.  I wouldn't be surprised if they walk this back some.

I don't like to disrespect you guys by calling myself a Lions fan because I know real fans take the bad with the good.  I'm fair weather.   It's been a lot of fun to watch this year. I've watched more football this year than any time since the 90's.  A home playoff game will be the biggest sporting event in the city of Detroit... ever.  Just a single home game. Bigger than a WS game..... bigger than a Stanley Cup and bigger than the Super Bowl when it was here.  You guys earned this and for this to happen is lousy, especially right down the stretch since you should be feelilng great as the season winds down.

You’re welcomed aboard the train as a fan as far as I’m concerned. I’ve never understood the mentality of yelling at people who hop on when a team is good yelling about who is a “real” fan is.

Like, you’re the sane one! You’re the one who hasn’t wasted your entire life (up to 60 years) on a terrible product. I don’t blame you at all for not wasting the mental energy, we are the crazy ones. And we are all happy at the same times for the same players, so it’s all good in the hood if you ask me.

I doubt they walk it back though. You said it yourself, this is a football city and a home playoff game will be insane for this city. People will pay whatever they charge, even if it makes the game atmosphere worse as middle class fervent fans get priced out in favor of affluent fans who show up at halftime after a late brunch at Parc.

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Like 1

Ticket prices for the current season went up by about 4% from what I've read. They've been fairly steady since 2018 and ranked near the middle of the league in prices.

As in every business when the demand goes up, so do prices.  Unfortunately for fans that's the price of having a popular, sucessful team

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

I can only see Tomlin and Vrabel being gone if they choose to resign, I can't see Saleh being fired yet either due to the Rodgers injury. Rivera and Smith are toast. McDermott is likely gone if the Bills miss the playoffs or even if they lose in the 1st round I'd think. 

Tomin's in trouble.   He'd better rally these last 3 weeks.   I know the Rooney's don't fire coaches, but it's gotten very stale and the Steelers seem to be the place where innovation goes to die. 

The fact that the Steelers are even 7-7 with what they have to work with on offense should be a credit to Tomlin. It's hard to win in this league with no play makers and a bad QB. They could use an upgrade at coordinator that is more creative I do agree with that aspect but even so Pickett just has so many limitations along with the aforementioned lack of play makers it would take a real miracle worker to get much out of that offense. 

25 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Ticket prices for the current season went up by about 4% from what I've read. They've been fairly steady since 2018 and ranked near the middle of the league in prices.

As in every business when the demand goes up, so do prices.  Unfortunately for fans that's the price of having a popular, sucessful team

Where did you see 4%? The lowest I’ve seen is 20%, and the highest I’ve seen is literally double. Like I said earlier, mine went up 73%.

I have no real problem with an increase, but I definitely think it could have been done more tactfully.