Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Yep. They've built up a lot of goodwill this year, enough to even make me pay attention. And honestly.... they do not need the money.  I wouldn't be surprised if they walk this back some.

I don't like to disrespect you guys by calling myself a Lions fan because I know real fans take the bad with the good.  I'm fair weather.   It's been a lot of fun to watch this year. I've watched more football this year than any time since the 90's.  A home playoff game will be the biggest sporting event in the city of Detroit... ever.  Just a single home game. Bigger than a WS game..... bigger than a Stanley Cup and bigger than the Super Bowl when it was here.  You guys earned this and for this to happen is lousy, especially right down the stretch since you should be feelilng great as the season winds down.

Yeah you are one of the lucky ones. Not having your heart ripped out all these years... I know you do season tix for Tigers so you are a little crazy! A little advice, stay away from TP he is a walking gray cloud.

Edited by Tigeraholic1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Where did you see 4%? The lowest I’ve seen is 20%, and the highest I’ve seen is literally double. Like I said earlier, mine went up 73%.

I have no real problem with an increase, but I definitely think it could have been done more tactfully.

The 4% was for the current season. It was probably on a Birkett X tweet. The 2023-24 season is going to be much higher indeed.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/3/7/23628236/detroit-lions-raise-ticket-prices-2023-season

Speaking with The Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett, team president Rod Wood said ticket prices were increased an average of 4 percent for members during the early renewal period. Going forward, he said it could even be more than that.

“We haven’t even decided what the price is going to be,” he told Birkett. “It’s probably going to be even a little bit higher than 4%. We’re kind of waiting to see what the final demand comes in at.”

Then there's this

4 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Yeah you are one of the lucky ones. Not having your heart ripped out all these years... I know you do season tix for Tigers so you are a little crazy! A little advice, stay away from TP he is a walking gray cloud.

It feels weird being in here. Like I walked into a bar and realized all my friends have been going there for years without me. 

I just don’t want to be that guy at opening day of the Tigers getting in everybody’s way that’s there all year.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

I just don’t want to be that guy at opening day of the Tigers getting in everybody’s way that’s there all year.  

I think football is a bit different in that way. I couldn't do Tigers season tickets, even if I was the biggest fan... Eighty-one games. Eighty-one! And those are just the ones you attend, there are 81 more to listen or watch at home. It's just such a grind that I have to applaud those of you who follow them day-in and day-out.

And while we make it something of a year-round experience here, and God knows the NFL is capitalizing on us suckers to make it so, it all explodes in a once-weekly three-hour spectacle in the fall, and then it's over. Eight or nine times at home, eight or nine times away. Ford Field sells out every game; even when they were bad they were getting 50-60,000 easy.

I can only speculate, but I'm sure there becomes a routine with the Tigers. I know when I was in undergrad, I would go to baseball games because they were free and I would (kind of) study in the mostly empty stands or grass. There was something of a nice routine to it. If my 81-days-a-year thing became overgrown with people who weren't a part of that routine, I could see being annoyed. There just isn't that same routine feel to football.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think football is a bit different in that way. I couldn't do Tigers season tickets, even if I was the biggest fan... Eighty-one games. Eighty-one! And those are just the ones you attend, there are 81 more to listen or watch at home. It's just such a grind that I have to applaud those of you who follow them day-in and day-out.

And while we make it something of a year-round experience here, and God knows the NFL is capitalizing on us suckers to make it so, it all explodes in a once-weekly three-hour spectacle in the fall, and then it's over. Eight or nine times at home, eight or nine times away. Ford Field sells out every game; even when they were bad they were getting 50-60,000 easy.

I can only speculate, but I'm sure there becomes a routine with the Tigers. I know when I was in undergrad, I would go to baseball games because they were free and I would (kind of) study in the mostly empty stands or grass. There was something of a nice routine to it. If my 81-days-a-year thing became overgrown with people who weren't a part of that routine, I could see being annoyed. There just isn't that same routine feel to football.

I have a 28 game package so that’s just about enough. Maybe when I retire I will get more but I don’t think so. It’s basically every third game. Friday nights plus another weekday game per series. I don’t make the April games a priority.  I know the people around me, some for 20 years.  You can’t go all out or else you go broke. I occasionally eat but usually stick to 2 beers.  No going out before or after unless I go with a friend I haven’t seen in awhile.  If I take a non family member then my guest usually buys my beer.  But if can be a grind sometimes especially when you have a stretch of3-4 games on a long homestand. 

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

I have a 28 game package so that’s just about enough. Maybe when I retire I will get more but I don’t think so. It’s basically every third game. Friday nights plus another weekday game per series. I don’t make the April games a priority.  I know the people around me, some for 20 years.  You can’t go all out or else you go broke. I occasionally eat but usually stick to 2 beers.  No going out before or after unless I go with a friend I haven’t seen in awhile.  If I take a non family member then my guest usually buys my beer.  But if can be a grind sometimes especially when you have a stretch of3-4 games on a long homestand. 

That's not bad. It's about as much as I could ever do I'm sure. Even so, feels like something of a nice routine. Not that I don't have one for Lions games, but mine is just more akin to cramming in with those next to me, some semi-familiar faces and some not, high-tenning whoever came with me (who has also bought my beer), and high-fiving strangers after Amon-Ra somersaults into the end zone. None of my concern whether those strangers were fans for Bobby Ross, Marty Mornhinweg, or Rod Marinelli, as long as they put on deodorant we are friends.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Don’t judge me dude.  This a message board.  I’m an optimistic dude, life brings a lot of responsibilities with it.  I’m allowed to feel as I please about a team who has literally been bad for 60 years.

And I’m pumped as hell for this lions team. I’ve paid my dues. I can be critical on a message board during games. A message board I’ve been around a long time. 

• Like 1

I was always hyper critical of the Lions and my sports teams in general till 2013. The Lions fell apart down the stretch that year and the Tigers choked against the Red Sox in the playoffs and I don't know something just changed in me. I still support all my teams but if they lose it's like it bothers me at first but then just get over it, before then it would hang with me for days after. It was like live or die with me. 

I also was the guy in the game threads, particularly the Tigers but also the Lions bitching about everything they did that didn't work but now it's like I will point it out and it will bother me but nowhere like it used to. Maybe it's because I'm getting older or more than likely the state of Detroit sports has sucked for so long I just kinda become apathetic to it but whatever the case I think it has been better for my sanity. 

What was Pete Carroll doing?  Calls a timeout on 4th and 2 allowing the eagles plenty of time to challenge the 3rd down play, which turned out to be a sack.  Seahawks lose the timeout and have to kick the field goal.  17-13 in the 4th, Seattle down to one timeout.  

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

As someone whose fantasy existence is hanging on for dear life hoping Dallas Goedert and Devonta Smith take the rest of the game off, I disagree.

I lost my first round matchup.  I’ve been riding the coattails of Keenan Allen and Tyreek hill all year.  Both out this week. 

16 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Don’t judge me dude.  This a message board.  I’m an optimistic dude, life brings a lot of responsibilities with it.  I’m allowed to feel as I please about a team who has literally been bad for 60 years.

And I’m pumped as hell for this lions team. I’ve paid my dues. I can be critical on a message board during games. A message board I’ve been around a long time. 

I know man. It suppose to come across light hearted.

19 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

What was Pete Carroll doing?  Calls a timeout on 4th and 2 allowing the eagles plenty of time to challenge the 3rd down play, which turned out to be a sack.  Seahawks lose the timeout and have to kick the field goal.  17-13 in the 4th, Seattle down to one timeout.  

That’s more on Lock. The Seahawks eerent ready, likely wouldn’t have converted on 4th and short if they had to snap it. At least they got 3 out of it. 

Edited by lordstanley

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Why is the Eagles' push so effective? Is it their offensive line? Hurts? They're the only ones who execute it so perfectly.

Every team defends it the same way. Why aren’t they pushing back?  Look at Bobby Wagner, he has jumped the pile every time. You are never going to stop it by leaving your feet. The LBs have to push the DL to meet the point of contact at the line. No one has done that. Is it illegal for the LBs to push the DL?   LBs jumping the pile will never work. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Look, Mahomes can be good if he has a loaded roster around him. You take away Tyreek Hill and he is good and you can win with him, but he's not elite. 

No doubt. He's really got nothing on that offensive side. It seems like they are of the mindset "the offense is fine as long as they've got Mahomes, let's buy a defense." Which, to be fair, has worked.