Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

32 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't know if Falcons HC Arthur Smith, GM Terry Fontenot, Owner Arthur Blank or a combination of the three men decided on drafting Ridder and Pitts instead of taking Justin Fields. If Smith had no decision in that, which I find highly unlikely, then he shouldn't be fired and the GM should be on the hot seat instead. If Arthur Blank forced Ridder on both men then he's a moron. If both the GM and HC decided on him then I think both deserve to be on the hot seat.

I think the Falcons have the making of a good offense with Robinson, London, Pitts as weapons to go to. If they had a real QB to throw the ball to them or run the offense I think they could be a threat, especially in that garbage fire of a division.

ridder sucks.

however, the coach sucks too.  ignoring pitts, london, and robinson so you can send tyson allegeri off tackle and then on a screen is malcpractice.

in fairness...again....ridder is awful.

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Unless there is indeed a power struggle with Rodgers and Aaron wants him out I don't see Saleh getting fired. He will get a free pass for not having his starting qb all season.

His seat is hotter than you think.   It certainly isn't fair, but since when is the NFL fair?      Ask Steve Wilks about that.    

I certainly wouldn't blame a team for doing whatever it takes to get him considering how well some other hot OCs have done like Shanahan and McDaniel but I also think it is worth noting that just cause you are a great playcaller/schematic guy doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be a great HC so I would be a bit apprehensive about paying top dollar to somebody that has never been one before. 

Also I know it pains some people to admit but the Lions do have a very talented offense particularly on the O line along with great pass catchers, RBs and a dependable QB. Who knows he may be good enough to make it work with anybody but if I was a team with a pretty empty cupboard I'd temper my expectations on what he could do right from the start. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I certainly wouldn't blame a team for doing whatever it takes to get him considering how well some other hot OCs have done like Shanahan and McDaniel but I also think it is worth noting that just cause you are a great playcaller/schematic guy doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be a great HC so I would be a bit apprehensive about paying top dollar to somebody that has never been one before. 

Also I know it pains some people to admit but the Lions do have a very talented offense particularly on the O line along with great pass catchers, RBs and a dependable QB. Who knows he may be good enough to make it work with anybody but if I was a team with a pretty empty cupboard I'd temper my expectations on what he could do right from the start. 

Ben Johnson hasn't proven he can run a top offense without Jared Goff.

shocked-gif-45.gif

Belichick is reportedly making $20, Payton $18, Carroll $15, McVay $14, Tomlin $12.5.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/highest-paid-nfl-head-coaches/ 

Don't know if this is accurate, but seems truthy. 

Agree with those who say the HC role is a different deal than the coordinator role, and at least as many hot shot coordinators who get head coaching roles crash and burn as succeed. But clearly Ben is going to get multiple opportunities this time around, and there is almost no chance he won't take one. He's probably going to command six years, around $80 million.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It might dependent on the job. If the Panthers call, ten years / $150MM… if the Chargers call, well, let’s negotiate.

ben johnson is not going to walk into a head coaching job and get more money than 98% of other coaches.  come on.

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

ben johnson is not going to walk into a head coaching job and get more money than 98% of other coaches.  come on.

Of course not. But I do think he’ll have his pick of jobs to some extent. He’s the hottest coordinator commodity out there. If he’s got offers from the Panthers and Chargers for instance I don’t think it’s crazy that he could use them against each other. Respectfully telling Tepper that his franchise is a dumpster fire and will take longer and more money for him to take the Panthers job.

I was being hyperbolic about the 10/150.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

I don't see Johnson going to Carolina. He reportedly turned them down last year, what has changed in that organization to make him change his mind.

If new ownership in Washington wants to make an impact why not a combination package of Ray Agnew and Johnson? Johnson has a bit of a connection with Sam Howell. He was one of his coaches in the Senior Bowl and seemed to connect a bit. They're both North Carolinia grads. Throw in Mark Brunell as Commander OC...

Unless he really likes Bryce Young I wouldn't go to Carolina if I were him. Most coaches either like the QB where they are going or have the flexibility to bring in somebody they do but considering Carolina just drafted him at number 1 and gave up a bunch of resources to get him they are going to make sure they see him through for better or worse. 

Atleast with Washington if he doesn't like Howell he will be in position to draft his replacement this draft. Currently they are sitting at 4th but if they lose out and Zona and NE win 1 more they could move up to 2. Even if that doesn't happen and he can't get Caleb or Maye there are still other options he could get at 4 or 5 unlike Carolina who has no pick. 

Of course with Carolina he will be playing in a MUCH easier division, smaller market and less demanding fan base/media. I bring up those last two cause he seems pretty introverted so not sure how well he would be able to cope with all the scrutiny of a bigger market team and media.  

Edited by RandyMarsh

john bacon was talking today about harbaugh being a real possibility for the chargers or raiders.

doesnt see the bears happening.

carolina, waahington, new england, atlanta didnt come up.

yes the chargers have herbert, but they also have an awful cap sheet and an aging defense.  they'll need to cut bosa or mack.  

but he took over a terrible niners team and had them in the super bowl in two years so...

To me IF the Bears job were to come open that would be the most attractive to me if I were a potential HC, atleast from a roster, cap and draft capital standpoint. Don't know much about their management/ownership but they atleast have potential to build a really good team if they don't screw it up.