Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

I fully expect the Lions to win of the Vikings games but boy looking at the schedules of the teams they need to lose and if the Lions due happen to lose out its hard to see where a loss is gonna come from those teams. 

Best chance would be the Packers over Vikings otherwise youre counting on the likes of the Cardinals, Giants, Steelers, Titans or a likely SF resting its starters against a red hot Rams team. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

OMG I TURNED IT OFF WHEN IT WAS 30-7 IN THE 4TH QUARTER AND I WAKE UP TO FIND OUT THE RAMS ALMOST CHOKED IT AWAY!!! LET IT BE A 1-SCORE GAME AND THEN HAD TO HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE AT HOME AGAINST A MEDIOCRE SAINTS TEAM. HOW PATHETIC WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FIGHTING FOR A PLAYOFF SPOT. A GOOD TEAM WOULD HAVE NEVER LET UP INSTEAD OF LETTING THE SAINTS BACK IN IT. A WIN IS A WIN BUT THIS IS FREAKIN' UGLY. NO WAY DO I SEE THEM BEATING NYG NEXT WEEK. THE RAMS ARE TOAST.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

To me IF the Bears job were to come open that would be the most attractive to me if I were a potential HC, atleast from a roster, cap and draft capital standpoint. Don't know much about their management/ownership but they atleast have potential to build a really good team if they don't screw it up. 

now that wcf is dead, the mccaskeys are the most incompetent nepo baby owners in the nfl.

This whole thing with the Lions..........lets look at the Lions vs. Minnesota in the Campbell era

First season before the team was any good - at Minnesota it took a last-second long field goal to beat the Lions, it was the game where Campbell cried in the post game presser.    Second game was the one where the Lions got their first win of the season

Second season - at Minnesota.   Campbell made some odd decisions late and it cost the team a win, but they controlled most of that game.   Next game at home vs. Minnesota the Lions kicked their ass and Sewell caught a first down pass.  That was also the game that ended the myth that Kirk Cousins was unbeatable in 1pm games. 

The Lions are better now than in any of those four games and the Vikings are starting Nick Mullens at QB.   If they end up losing all 3 games and Minnesota wins all 3 then it would mean the Lions didn't deserve it.   But I really doubt that is going to happen  (and I think the Rams are going to stumble too).   I think the Lions are going to clinch the division on Sunday.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This whole thing with the Lions..........lets look at the Lions vs. Minnesota in the Campbell era

First season before the team was any good - at Minnesota it took a last-second long field goal to beat the Lions, it was the game where Campbell cried in the post game presser.    Second game was the one where the Lions got their first win of the season

Second season - at Minnesota.   Campbell made some odd decisions late and it cost the team a win, but they controlled most of that game.   Next game at home vs. Minnesota the Lions kicked their ass and Sewell caught a first down pass.  That was also the game that ended the myth that Kirk Cousins was unbeatable in 1pm games. 

The Lions are better now than in any of those four games and the Vikings are starting Nick Mullens at QB.   If they end up losing all 3 games and Minnesota wins all 3 then it would mean the Lions didn't deserve it.   But I really doubt that is going to happen  (and I think the Rams are going to stumble too).   I think the Lions are going to clinch the division on Sunday.  

That first win against Minnesota was when I knew they had something in Dan Campbell despite being 0-10. Look at Goff's reaction. I don't think I have ever seen a QB run straight to the head coach vs teammates on a walk off win like that.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:09 AM, lordstanley said:

OMG I TURNED IT OFF WHEN IT WAS 30-7 IN THE 4TH QUARTER AND I WAKE UP TO FIND OUT THE RAMS ALMOST CHOKED IT AWAY!!! LET IT BE A 1-SCORE GAME AND THEN HAD TO HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE AT HOME AGAINST A MEDIOCRE SAINTS TEAM. HOW PATHETIC WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FIGHTING FOR A PLAYOFF SPOT. A GOOD TEAM WOULD HAVE NEVER LET UP INSTEAD OF LETTING THE SAINTS BACK IN IT. A WIN IS A WIN BUT THIS IS FREAKIN' UGLY. NO WAY DO I SEE THEM BEATING NYG NEXT WEEK. THE RAMS ARE TOAST.

It's the NFL. No big deal. Rams are playing well. Should beat the Giants easily. We need them to finish off strong against SF.

On 12/22/2023 at 5:00 PM, Sports_Freak said:

True. And there would be an upside...a better draft pick...<ducks>

It's just really, really, really nice to not be hankering for draft position next year.

It's been a great season and whatever we get, we get.

Obviously, playoffs and positioning and getting some playoff wins are foremost in mind right now...

But...

Not gonna lie...

I cheated and looked at 2024 Prospect Rankings yesterday after seeing this post...

Not because I'm worried about draft position... but more along the lines of... we know what the weaknesses are on this year's team and if we're trying to get to "the pinnacle", what should we expect in the way of help in next year's draft?

Thinking ahead, so to speak...

Needs?

#1. Pass-rusher.

#2. It gets tricky here IMO. Our O-Line is critical to our success. That's become so overwhelmingly obvious that I don't think it can be dismissed with "we need a top-notch CB". We do, or most likely do, need an improvement at CB. But I don't know that it is as critical as our O-Line... just a thought. I'm putting O-Line #2.

#3 CB

#4 Gotta get an NFL-caliber Kicker.

#5 Either a depth/develop guy at LB'er, or same thing at RB. Just someone that may help down the road, or if there's an injury. Depth never hurts.

So...

1. There's a crapload of edge rushers next year... Holmes just has to decide on the right guy... and be able to get his hands on him with a late 1st. A couple guys will fall and/or there are actually a couple slotted in our area so I don't think I stress here. Top of the 1st: Laiatu Latu, Jared Verse, Dallas Turner... mid-to-late 1st (in our range): Chop Robinson, Jack Sawyer, Bralen Trice, JT Tuimoloau.

2. I want Holmes to move to the top of the 2nd for Troy Fautanu, who looks like a monster in the middle, able to play Center or Guard. He can sit behind Jonah Jackson (I think they sign him to a multi-year), Ragnow & Glasgow for a year and come in only as needed (injuries, etc.). If he steals the RG spot eventually, for example, Glasgow can swing back to the top interior backup O-Lineman. Maybe Sorsdal gets better and we have a strong interior O-Line backup and/ or transition plan...

3. I think we need a top backup OT too but CB is still a concern. But if Holmes can keep our two 2024 3rds (trade a 2025 4th since we have two, if that gets us in the right spot to select Fautanu)... then he can draft both a draft-n-develop OT as well as a CB. All sorts of options in this area so I'll just leave it at that.

4. Our next pick is in the 5th... and here Holmes is just working his magic to find depth players at RB, LB, a Kicker maybe... whatever he can find.

Just a couple thoughts I had perusing what's available in next year's draft...

Edited by 1984Echoes

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

For the most part, we are seeing these backup QB sensation crater back to earth. Latest one is Jake Browning. Thankfully it came after the Vikings game. 

28/42 for 335 is halfway decent, he just can’t turn the ball over three times. His defense didn’t do him any favors though against Mason Rudolph of all people.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's gotten to where if you want a top tackle or C, you've got to think 1st round. Sewell, Ragnow and Decker were all 1st rounders. Should find a fine guard in the 2nd.

Not looking for a top-10 guy.

Just 2nd/3rd rounder types that can develop into top backups or eventual starters. Glasgow and Jackson were both 3rd rounders. Glasgow was a Center.

1. Pass Rush. Probably an edge rusher, but if there is a pass rushing DT available, take him. Jeff Simmons was taken at 1.19, Chris Jones was taken at 2.37, and Javon Hargrave was taken at 3.89. You don't need a top ten pick to get a pass-rushing DT, if you know what you're looking for like the Titans, Eagles, and 49ers did.

2. Corner. I don't think this is a draft upgrade though, at least not early. I don't want someone learning on the job in 2024 and we need an instant starter. Find a good free agent with two functioning ACLs, re-sign the talent you've got in-house (CJGJ), leave Jerry Jacobs in Vegas after the Super Bowl (wishful thinking?) and the defensive backfield should be halfway decent. Pickup DB depth with one of the 3rds.

3. Offensive Line. If you re-sign your two offensive guards, which I think they will, then you have only long-term/depth needs, but maintaining this unit is of utmost importance. I like how they came into this year with six starting offensive linemen, which lasted until Vaitai got hurt again. Replace Vaitai with your RG of the future, who can replace Glasgow after 2024. This should probably be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. If a starting RT of the future falls into your lap in the 2nd round though, I don't think you can pass that up.

4. More Pass Rush. It cannot be understated how much of a one-man front the defensive line is right now. There is Hutch, then behind him there is McNeill, then behind him there is virtually nothing generating pressure. We don't need world-beaters, we just need guys who can demand some amount of attention and win a one-on-one now and then to free Hutchinson. If we got a DT with #1, get an edge, and if we got an edge with #1, either get another edge or pickup an athletic DT.

5. "X" Receiver. We never really replaced DJ Chark. And while it's been shown that we don't necessarily need him this season, I do think having a Tee Higgins or Mike Evans type (even if not that caliber) would add an extra something to this offense.

6. Kicker. Can we not be holding ****ing kicking tryouts in the practice before week 15 next year please? Is that too much to ask?

7. Depth. You can never have enough. Pretty much any position on the field, particularly on defense, can use more bodies, more competition, more guys ready to be that next man up.

37 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's gotten to where if you want a top tackle or C, you've got to think 1st round. Sewell, Ragnow and Decker were all 1st rounders. Should find a fine guard in the 2nd.

PS:

2023 2nd round (43 overall) Starting Center for the Jets (and looking really good according to PFF...) Joe Tippmann:

https://nypost.com/2023/12/10/sports/rookie-joe-tippmann-proves-he-belongs-as-jets-center/

2023 2nd round (57 overall) Starting Center for the Giants (and looking OK, not great according to PFF... 3 sacks in eight starts at center...) John Michael Schmitz

18 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

1. Pass Rush...

2. Corner. I don't think this is a draft upgrade though, at least not early... Pickup DB depth with one of the 3rds.

3. Offensive Line. If you ... Replace Vaitai with your RG of the future, who can replace Glasgow after 2024. This should probably be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. If a starting RT of the future falls into your lap in the 2nd round though, I don't think you can pass that up.

4. More Pass Rush...

5. "X" Receiver. We never really replaced DJ Chark...

6. Kicker. Can we not be holding ****ing kicking tryouts in the practice before week 15 next year please? Is that too much to ask?

7. Depth. You can never have enough...

In alignment.

On the bolded part though... Ragnow's injuries worry me. So... I want to draft an athletic Center who can also play Guard... sort of like both Ragnow & Glasgow. I don't want a Guard incapable of playing Center. A Center-Guard gives us the most flexibility IMO.

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

In alignment.

On the bolded part though... Ragnow's injuries worry me. So... I want to draft an athletic Center who can also play Guard... sort of like both Ragnow & Glasgow. I don't want a Guard incapable of playing Center. A Center-Guard gives us the most flexibility IMO.

I think they should have an idea of where they want the player they take to be the long-term starter at. When they took Sorsdol, I think part of the appeal was that he could backup any of the five positions on the line. Jack of all trades, master of none (to some extent). While that's nice to have in a depth piece, I want them taking first round talents who can be a 1st round talent at a particular position (being a high talent at nearby positions is just a bonus)... For me, I think in terms of long-term concerns on the OL, Center is 3rd behind RG and RT.

Ragnow's toe concerns me too, but he is signed through 2026, and to this point I haven't seen indication that it would so serious as to require medical retirement. I agree that I would like to see the player they pick up have the athleticism and flexibility to be a backup G/C/G that first year before settling into a starting role, but I would prioritize finding the best possible RG first, and then looking at how well they could be a G/C/G backup in 2024.