Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Also, they have Glasgow and Sorsdal as RG's...

IMO...

1st need on the O-Line is the best talent in the 2nd and/or 3rd rounds so I'm looking at C first, with flexibility to switch to Guard. And a top backup tackle 2nd.

I'm not worried about RG for at least another year or so...

I don't see Sorsdol as a viable starter on the line. Quality depth is the most I hope to get out of him. Glasgow will be 32 for week one next season, assuming he's re-signed.

I think we just disagree on the very minor point of whether guard or center is more important moving forward. Good problems to have when a team is 10-4.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Another underrated part of this Lions front office has been the handling of the salary cap. They have quickly turned this team into a contender and are in fantastic shape cap wise. 

They will have some tough decisions to make in the coming years. Sewell, McNeill, ASB, Hutch, Jamo, and Houston will all require a decision sooner rather than later.

The trickier decisions are Decker, Ragnow, Josh Reynolds and other veterans who are part of the core of the team but not the critical components like those on your list.

I think your list is big money decisions, but the other side of the coin is do we pay relatively high contracts to players who may be: (A) close to getting too old, (B) replaceable in some ways, but difficult to replace in others (how do you replace top talents a LT, C, and RG (Glasgow) easily when picking at the back end of each draft round/ there are multiple needs/ these guys ARE critical components of team success? (C) Goff is another tricky call. I think he deserves an extension... but at what cost? And we have no idea what Hooker is or is not at this point... (D) All the money spent on middling players that is a high-dollar veteran cost (in relative terms) adds up, and restricts future Cap Flexibility.

I think Sewell, ASB, Hutch, McNeill & Jamo are all easy decisions IMO. Houston is not in a position to demand big money. He'll be affordable. The same with Barnes, Melifonwu, etc... guys who are just now starting to step up... But I definitely pay the other guys on this list. I see no issue with that.

It's the building blocks in the middle that will be tougher calls, IMO.

You have to sign your franchise players. That would be Sewell and St Brown. That will likely also be Goff. Then you will have Hutchinson and after him Laporta and possibly Branch and Campbell. You have the 5th year option on Gibbs and can decide if you want to extend a RB. I don't think Jameson Williams has earned a 2nd contract yet. You do have the 5th year option on him as well. The trickier part comes with the players who are good but may not be franchise players. McNeil only has one year left. Even guy like Barnes and Melifonwu who have taken a big step in year 3 will be going into their final seasons. You have veterans you'll have to decide on like Glasgow and Jackson. I don't see Decker getting another contract. Ragnow is likely not going to get another contract. The Lions seem to be operating a lot like the Steelers or Ravens and I believe Holmes even mentioned them before. Neither of those teams spend a lot in free agency, they draft well year after year and keep their franchise players and let some of their good but not franchise players walk like Cam Sutton. 

The good thing is I don't think this front office is as arrogant as previous regimes were when it comes to keeping their own players. Martin Mayhew and Tom Lewand assured us, to the point that we didn't need to bother drafting Aaron Donald, that everything was fine between the Lions and Suh and that he would resign here. He of course walked after his first contract and we got nothing but a comp pick in return for a first round talent.

I don't see Holmes, Agnew, Dorsey, or Spielman having the same level of arrogance that Mayhew and Lewand did around resigning Suh, so I do feel more comfortable now. I bought into organization's (Mayhew's) spin at the time that everything was fine and that Suh would be resigned. I don't think we have to worry about resigning our own top-tier players this time around because we have competent leadership in the front office for the first time ever.

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The trickier decisions are Decker, Ragnow, Josh Reynolds and other veterans who are part of the core of the team but not the critical components like those on your list.

I think your list is big money decisions, but the other side of the coin is do we pay relatively high contracts to players who may be: (A) close to getting too old, (B) replaceable in some ways, but difficult to replace in others (how do you replace top talents a LT, C, and RG (Glasgow) easily when picking at the back end of each draft round/ there are multiple needs/ these guys ARE critical components of team success? (C) Goff is another tricky call. I think he deserves an extension... but at what cost? And we have no idea what Hooker is or is not at this point... (D) All the money spent on middling players that is a high-dollar veteran cost (in relative terms) adds up, and restricts future Cap Flexibility.

I think Sewell, ASB, Hutch, McNeill & Jamo are all easy decisions IMO. Houston is not in a position to demand big money. He'll be affordable. The same with Barnes, Melifonwu, etc... guys who are just now starting to step up... But I definitely pay the other guys on this list. I see no issue with that.

It's the building blocks in the middle that will be tougher calls, IMO.

josh reynolds?  you can find josh reynolds on the waiver wire.  donovan peoples jones could easily be his replacement.  reynolds is a fine backup receiver who is valuable because he's an ok player and he's cheap.  as soon as he becomes "not cheap" he will be out of a job and replaced by an equivalent.

ragnow will be a bigger call because he's seemingly got a recurring injury.  decker because he's getting old.

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

josh reynolds?  you can find josh reynolds on the waiver wire... an ok player and he's cheap.  as soon as he becomes "not cheap" he will be out of a job and replaced by an equivalent...

That's my point.

Don't overpay him just because he has a "history" with Goff.

DPJ, and also Antoine Green could be developed into replacements...

We have a boatload of veterans that are helping the team win games... but they are middling or old or injured and we can't stack overpay on top of overpay on the next contract for guys like these... even with names like Decker & Ragnow...

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think there is something to be said for the QB-WR relationship. Goff trusts Reynolds, and that matters. Don’t go crazy and bow down to your QB like the Jets are doing but Goff’s preferences should matter some.

I’m sure Reynolds knows it too, it’s not like he’s going to get some massive offer in free agency.

Remember, Reynolds originally signed with the Titans over the Lions and ended up getting waived. He's only been successful in this league with Goff as his QB.