Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

10 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

People calling that a “ref safety” like it didn’t start because Lamar ran 25 yards backwards.

Well, yes, shouldn’t have ran that far backwards, but Lamar gets out of trouble and doesn’t take a safety if the ref didn’t trip him.  

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Better or worse, it's Badgely here on out.

Patterson is better than Badgley. Love just about everything Holmes has done but his inability to properly address the kicker situation in 3 years is bizarre. It hasn't hurt them yet although one can argue that Campbell would be less inclined to take 4th quarter gambles with a better kicker but I fear that one game when they have the ball around the 35 yard line near the end of a game and lose because they can't kick 50+ yard FGs.

20 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Patterson is better than Badgley. Love just about everything Holmes has done but his inability to properly address the kicker situation in 3 years is bizarre. It hasn't hurt them yet although one can argue that Campbell would be less inclined to take 4th quarter gambles with a better kicker but I fear that one game when they have the ball around the 35 yard line near the end of a game and lose because they can't kick 50+ yard FGs.

What’s Jason Hanson doing? Let’s sign him and assemble a Lions All-Time All Star team* for the playoff run, except it’s just the 2023 Lions plus Jason Hanson.

*must not have unexpectedly retired to qualify 

41 minutes ago, NYLion said:

both are bad kickers. They are the same. One can kicker further.  I don’t understand why Holmes has not addressed the kicker position in 3 years. Keep recycling the same bad kickers.  Was hoping they were gonna draft moody, solidify that position for 15 years.  

55 minutes ago, NYLion said:

That's because Goff is in a much more perfect situation. Oh wait....

brock purdy leads the league in passer rating, qbr, yards per completion, yards per attempt, net yards gained per pass attempt, adjusted net yards per pass attempt, and td %.

he's having a bad game against one of the best defenses in football, but he's still an mvp candidate.

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

To be fair you'd probably think the Giants or Patriots would murder the Lions. Outside of Ben Johnson don't think you had a positive thing to say about the team all season. 

you talking about me?  if you think that, that's because you dont read my posts.

understandable, but still slander.  🙂

15 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

both are bad kickers. They are the same. One can kicker further.  I don’t understand why Holmes has not addressed the kicker position in 3 years. Keep recycling the same bad kickers.  Was hoping they were gonna draft moody, solidify that position for 15 years.  

I really think they chose not to re-sign Prater because he figured by the time we get to this point, the NFC North Champ and a playoff team, someone off the street would have emerged as an NFL kicker. And that just hasn’t happened.

I don’t agree with drafting a kicker in the 3rd round, especially when you are a good drafter, because you can find players like Travis Kelce, Tyler Lockett, and Cooper Kupp in the 3rd round (or Alim McNeill, Iffy Melifonwu, and Kerby Joseph). You should find a starter in the 3rd round, and that’s more valuable than a kicker.

But - you can PAY for one! Prater, Zuerlein, and McManus were all free agents this past offseason and all could have been had. And all would have been better than running it back with Badgley and Patterson. If you’re a good drafter it should mean you can afford to pay a kicker a few million dollars, because your young talent isn’t getting big contracts yet.

I will say we know first hand how good this Ravens team is when they are playing at their best so I do think it's fair to say that our chances wouldnt be good IF the Ravens play near their best but that's no guarantee, I just don't agree with the sentiment that the Lions would be murdered by either of them. I think the Lions are good enough to beat any team, they just have to play near perfect football to beat the likes of these two but it's not unrealistic.

I feel like some people(maybe I was wrong to lummp you into this buddha) just are still so traumatized by past Lions teams that they just can't accept or admit that this is a good football team. Not perfect but certainly good enough to beat any other playoff team. imo

Edited by RandyMarsh

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

brock purdy leads the league in passer rating, qbr, yards per completion, yards per attempt, net yards gained per pass attempt, adjusted net yards per pass attempt, and td %.

he's having a bad game against one of the best defenses in football, but he's still an mvp candidate.

He does it without ever throwing an out route or coming under pressure.  His heat map is hilarious. He isn’t an mvp of the league talent.  It’s masked by how good the talent is on the niners and the extent shanahan can call plays.  He looks incredibly lost tonight.  MVPs don’t have nights where they throw 4 ints.  Lamar is locking up the mvp tonight. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I will say we know first hand how good this Ravens team is when they are playing at their best so I do think it's fair to say that our chances wouldnt be good IF the Ravens play near their best but that's no guarantee, I just don't agree with the sentiment that the Lions would be murdered by either of them. I think the Lions are good enough to beat any team, they just have to play near perfect football to beat the likes of these two but it's not unrealistic.

I feel like some people(maybe I was wrong to lummp you into this buddha) just are still so traumatized by past Lions teams that they just can't accept or admit that this is a good football team. Not perfect but certainly good enough to beat any other playoff team. imo

i am definitely traumatized by past lions teams.

i think the lions offense is good if they can protect goff.  i think the lions defense is below average because they cant rush the passer and their corners are very suspect.

if they protect the ball, they can hang with a lot of teams.  i think it would take a lot of turnovers and luck for the lions to beat the niners or ravens.  i think they can hang with most other teams even if i do not think theyre not an elite team, but rather among the top of the "next tier" of teams.

that's pretty much been my opinion all year long.  i thought they were a 9-11 win team so theyve already exceeded my expectations.

4 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

He does it without ever throwing an out route or coming under pressure.  His heat map is hilarious. He isn’t an mvp of the league talent.  It’s masked by how good the talent is on the niners and the extent shanahan can call plays.  He looks incredibly lost tonight.  MVPs don’t have nights where they throw 4 ints.  Lamar is locking up the mvp tonight. 

purdy benefits from having the best set of skill players in the league, a great left tackle, and an amazing play caller.  that's for sure.  talent wise he's average, if that.

regardless, he's having a stellar season.

Here's the Lions' path to the Super Bowl:

- win in Dallas and home vs Minnesota

- Rams upset Niners in season finale to give Lions the #1 seed

- All home teams win in NFC wildcard round while Lions rest at home with bye

- Lions host and beat NFC South champion in divisional round while Philly upsets SF

- Lions host and beat Philly in NFC championship game while anyone other than Baltimore wins AFC

- Lions beat AFC winner in Super Bowl

Edited by lordstanley