Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Just now, TP_Fan said:

This is why you don’t want to play the rams. Rams might be the best team going the nfc right now.  They went into Baltimore and lost in OT.  Having stafford come in and win would be the most lions depression ever. 

Agreed, they are definitely the team I want to avoid most in the 1st round. Yeah they lost some players since then but this team is only a year removed from winning the Super Bowl and they still have the QB that took them there playing at a high level so they would be a tough out. Much tougher than Seattle(despite our personal struggles with) or one of the NFC South or North teams. imo

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Didn't Darnold throw a pick 6 to the Patricia Lions on his very first NFL throw? Probably should've known then that he was destined to be an NFL backup at best. 

Yep. I was there. By which I mean, I was in absurdly long security lines when the pick six happened and missed the best play of the season.

Darnold proceeded to then torch the Lions the rest of the game while Stafford threw four picks. Jets won 48-17.

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Didn't Darnold throw a pick 6 to the Patricia Lions on his very first NFL throw? Probably should've known then that he was destined to be an NFL backup at best. 

and then torched them the rest of the game.  the highlight of darnold's terrible career.

ah lions, always everyone else's highlight reel team.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

San Fransisco didn't look so big and bad tonight. I get that Baltimore is likely the best team in the league and he has clowned a lot of opponents this season, most especially us. But Brock Purdy and San Francisco certainly looked beatable tonight. 

tonight said more about baltimore than san francisco.  unfortunately.

11 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

both are bad kickers. They are the same. One can kicker further.  I don’t understand why Holmes has not addressed the kicker position in 3 years. Keep recycling the same bad kickers.  Was hoping they were gonna draft moody, solidify that position for 15 years.  

Patterson is better.

Patterson is 88% career on FGs while Badgley is 82%. Patterson is 16 for 19 from 40-49, Badgley is 36 for 47. Patterson 3 for 6 from 50+ while Badgley is 5 for 13!!!

Patteson is an average NFL kicker, it can be argued that Badgley doesn't belong in the NFL at all. It's really important to have a good kicker in the playoffs, this could be a fatal error by Holmes this season. Campbell is going to have to be even more aggressive than his usual aggressive self.

Even after his dismal night, Purdy still leads the NFL in passer rating (112.2). Goff is #6 (98.3). And Purdy still leads the NFL in QBR (71.7). Goff is #11 (59.6). Kid is really good.

Looking at some numbers, one stood out to me. Goff is #3 in sack percentage (4.9%), behind only Josh Allen (3.8%) and Patrick Mahomes (4.2%). 

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know kicking is extremely hard but it still amazes me that there isn't some unsigned guy out there whether it be an ex NFLer or recent ex college kicker that isn't better than Patterson or Badgely. In Patterson's case he can't kick it past 40 yards, in Badgely's case he can't kick it period. 

Patterson is 16 of 19 from 40-49 and a perfect 6 for 6 in his Detroit career. 

Edited by NYLion

54 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Patterson is better.

Patterson is 88% career on FGs while Badgley is 82%. Patterson is 16 for 19 from 40-49, Badgley is 36 for 47. Patterson 3 for 6 from 50+ while Badgley is 5 for 13!!!

Patteson is an average NFL kicker, it can be argued that Badgley doesn't belong in the NFL at all. It's really important to have a good kicker in the playoffs, this could be a fatal error by Holmes this season. Campbell is going to have to be even more aggressive than his usual aggressive self.

I wonder if the lions don’t look for another kicker once badgleys call ups expire. Not sure this is the guy we want to role into the playoffs with.  

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Even after his dismal night, Purdy still leads the NFL in passer rating (112.2). Goff is #6 (98.3). And Purdy still leads the NFL in QBR (71.7). Goff is #11 (59.6). Kid is really good.

Looking at some numbers, one stood out to me. Goff is #3 in sack percentage (4.9%), behind only Josh Allen (3.8%) and Patrick Mahomes (4.2%). 

It's kind of misleading to rate quarterbacks on what are basically team stats.

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

I wonder if the lions don’t look for another kicker once badgleys call ups expire. Not sure this is the guy we want to role into the playoffs with.  

Robbie Gould retired earlier this month but would probably answer if called by a playoff team. He was 84% on FGs and only missed one extra point last year, long of 51... Brett Maher is available, the Rams cut him in October after he missed an extra point and from 53 and 51 against the Steelers. That was his only extra point miss and he was perfect from inside 40 on field goals, but 10/16 from 40+.... Ryan Succop is available, he was 29/31 inside 50 but 2/7 from 50+ in 2022, missed one extra point. The way the practice squad works too is that the Lions could re-sign Patterson from the Browns practice squad. If the Browns offered him a spot on the 53-man though, I suspect he would take their offer, depending on Dustin Hopkins' injury.

Zane Gonzalez might be my pick for a tryout. He was on the Lions' practice squad when Campbell and Holmes took over and had a great year with the Panthers in 2021. Was perfect inside 50, 3/5 from 50+ with a long of 57 and one missed extra point. He got injured in the 2022 preseason, was re-injured in the 2023 preseason, and hasn't kicked in the regular season since.  If you need a guy for a few postseason games, with Badgley on the practice squad in case of injury, Gonzalez might worth a shot.

All told though I think they probably just ride with Badgley.

Edited by MichiganCardinal