Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Suspending him is absolutely the right call there, and a pretty obvious decision too. What he did there was totally disrespectful to both the coaches and those who were named captains, and then to mess it up too?! He's lucky the official didn't just f*** him over and let his mistake be, giving Carolina the ball to start both halves. And then a total lack of accountability after the fact, telling the media that LaFleur didn't know he was from Carolina, implying it wasn't his fault?

To not suspend him would risk completely losing the locker room.

I don't really get Payton. He was worshipped in New Orleans. The franchise had gone to the playoffs five times and won only a single playoff game in its 39-year history prior to his hiring. He went to the playoffs nine times and won the Super Bowl with them, never winning less than seven games. He wasn't untouchable, but I think he would have survived a rebuild.

He didn't want to rebuild from ground zero in New Orleans though, so he just up and left in the middle of a contract, and then a year later gets bored with broadcasting (?), so he goes to Denver, where instead he can rebuild from ground negative one, on a team with $85MM invested into a sunk cost quarterback that is missing future picks because they valued him more than the picks. It doesn't make much sense.

From Campbell's POV I understand the mentorship angle. Campbell's playing career ended with a training camp injury on the Saints and Payton is who encouraged him to get into coaching, vouched for him to get the gig in Miami, and gave him a job when the Miami staff got fired. He wouldn't be here if it weren't for Payton, but he's also definitely not Payton. Payton is obviously a good coach, but Campbell I think is a much more calm and collected presence on the sideline than Payton, and I think the players like him more... You would never see Campbell yell at a quarterback how Payton did Russell Wilson. Even the officials, I've never seen Campbell lose his mind on the officials. Payton earned himself stupid 15-yard penalties with the Saints, one of which I remember costing him the game. And BountyGate? I couldn't even imagine a former NFL player like Campbell entertaining the possibility.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Russell Wilson has been benched. Seems to be a Derek Carr situation. Broncos probably didn't want his contract to become guaranteed due to injury. Will likely cut him in the offseason. Still a massive cap hit. 

I don't know,  maybe it's too early to call, but I think Seattle won that trade.....................at least, that's where I am leaning.