Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Mike Florio is reporting that Caleb Williams representatives have begun talks with the Bears.   He has asked for a few minor accommodations:

- The Chicago dog will no longer be served anywhere in the city with a pickle spear or tomato slice.

- He would not only like Cubs season tickets but also have the ability to be the team’s manager whenever he chooses.

- The top 20 floors of the Willis Tower are converted to his own personal penthouse.

- A 300 foot statue of his likeness is erected in Lake Michigan overlooking what used to be called Navy Pier, which will be renamed Carl’s Pier, in honor of Caleb’s father. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Mike Florio is reporting that Caleb Williams representatives have begun talks with the Bears.   He has asked for a few minor accommodations:

- The Chicago dog will no longer be served anywhere in the city with a pickle spear or tomato slice.

- He would not only like Cubs season tickets but also have the ability to be the team’s manager whenever he chooses.

- The top 20 floors of the Willis Tower are converted to his own personal penthouse.

- A 300 foot statue of his likeness is erected in Lake Michigan overlooking what used to be called Navy Pier, which will be renamed Carl’s Pier, in honor of Caleb’s father. 

If you were on Twitter you’d be famous

albert breer on the radio in atlanta today saying the falcons job is a two man race between belicheck and harbaugh.

you might remember albert breer as the man who guaranteed harbaugh would never go to michigan and was a lock for the raiders job.

take anything buckeye breer says with a grain of salt.

12 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Pittsburgh at Buffalo suspended until Monday night. You know the weather is bad if a football game gets canceled....

Game not the problem, it's the 100k people traveling to and from the game that presents an issue.

5 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Game not the problem, it's the 100k people traveling to and from the game that presents an issue.

So I guess decided by the state in the interest of public safety? So I guess conceivably that could happen to teams that play in domes?  Incidentally, for the fans in the stands, it means instead of a full afternoon game Sunday it will now be played 3/4 after dark on Monday. Brrr.

Edited by lordstanley

25 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Pittsburgh at Buffalo suspended until Monday night. You know the weather is bad if a football game gets canceled....

Bills’ mafia just wanted an extra day to drink in the parking lot.

• Haha 2

Just now, Jason_R said:

So all that it takes these days to postpone a football game is forecasts of up to three feet of snow and winds of 65 mph? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not throwing any opinion on whether this is right or wrong.  I’ll side on safety, move the game back a day, that’s fine.

I don’t recall playoff games from 20 or 30some years ago being postponed due to weather.  Maybe I’m wrong, I don’t know.  Granted, there are more playoff games these days than back then.  No opinion on it, just an observation.

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

I’m not throwing any opinion on whether this is right or wrong.  I’ll side on safety, move the game back a day, that’s fine.

I don’t recall playoff games from 20 or 30some years ago being postponed due to weather.  Maybe I’m wrong, I don’t know.  Granted, there are more playoff games these days than back then.  No opinion on it, just an observation.

Oh I think it makes total sense to postpone it. I can’t imagine even living in Buffalo with that kind of weather, let alone going to a game in it!

Part of me agrees with postponing the game. Obviously it's safer. No one needs to die in the elements trying to get to a Buffalo Bills game or while shoveling seats for $20/hour.

Another part of me sees what JJ Watt is saying in that Tweet above. It feels like this is happening more often in recent years. For what it's worth, this Wikipedia page claims this is only the third snow relocation or rescheduling in NFL history not due to mechanical failure (like the MetroDome collapse). All three have been since 2010, and this is the second in the last 15 months.

If this is going to be a recurring or more common thing, where we are becoming more and more cautious about bringing fans to stadiums in the elements and drawing the subjective line about how much snow is too much snow, or how much cold is too cold, I don't like these new stadiums in places like Buffalo being built outdoors. Whether the purpose is to play the game in the elements or it's about being cheap, I don't think opposing teams should have to suffer repercussions when inevitable things happen. This isn't a hurricane, earthquake, or a wildfire, it's snow in Buffalo, NY, which averages 100 inches of snow per year.

An NFL policy that games are to be played on the day they are scheduled unless there is no possible alternative venue would suffice. Move this game to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis or even to Pittsburgh, and let the Bills lose out on the gate and home field advantage. If the concern is just the fans, play it tomorrow with no fans. But if the Steelers win, they shouldn't have a day less of rest because Buffalo wasn't equipped with a roof to manage a lot of snowfall in 2024.

33 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Part of me agrees with postponing the game. Obviously it's safer. No one needs to die in the elements trying to get to a Buffalo Bills game or while shoveling seats for $20/hour.

Another part of me sees what JJ Watt is saying in that Tweet above. It feels like this is happening more often in recent years. For what it's worth, this Wikipedia page claims this is only the third snow relocation or rescheduling in NFL history not due to mechanical failure (like the MetroDome collapse). All three have been since 2010, and this is the second in the last 15 months.

If this is going to be a recurring or more common thing, where we are becoming more and more cautious about bringing fans to stadiums in the elements and drawing the subjective line about how much snow is too much snow, or how much cold is too cold, I don't like these new stadiums in places like Buffalo being built outdoors. Whether the purpose is to play the game in the elements or it's about being cheap, I don't think opposing teams should have to suffer repercussions when inevitable things happen. This isn't a hurricane, earthquake, or a wildfire, it's snow in Buffalo, NY, which averages 100 inches of snow per year.

An NFL policy that games are to be played on the day they are scheduled unless there is no possible alternative venue would suffice. Move this game to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis or even to Pittsburgh, and let the Bills lose out on the gate and home field advantage. If the concern is just the fans, play it tomorrow with no fans. But if the Steelers win, they shouldn't have a day less of rest because Buffalo wasn't equipped with a roof to manage a lot of snowfall in 2024.

But there's also complaints about the artificial turf in domed stadiums. Football has always been unique playing in the elements. Most fans have seen highlights of the famous Green Bay ice bowl game.

https://youtu.be/vX3eBGjpW5M?si=KagrxuXNNGonKO0W

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think a lot of folks forget/ignore the indirect infrastructure associated with these games and how adverse travels for those folks ain’t worth it.  Or maybe he’s simply taken too many shots to the head to consider those folks.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:18 AM, gehringer_2 said:

MI theater is a small non-profit org. They don't have the resources to get into a pissing match with the NFL even if they knew they were right. A one time event isn't a big enough motivation to argue.

There were also plans to show the Lions playoff game at several Emagine movie theaters. They were also canceled. The NFL can afford to turn fans away???

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2024/01/13/why-emagine-will-no-longer-host-viewing-party-for-lions-rams-game-in-metro-detroit/

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

I can’t imagine even living in Buffalo with that kind of weather,

And this is it right here.  Buffalo is effectively shutting down.  If everyday activity is told to stop because the travel conditions are treacherous, why should the NFL be allowed to carry on with all of the travel that this game would incur?

Not for nothing, but just a hike up the road is Niagara Falls.  I know they’ve frozen up a few times.  I’d love to see that up close.  Probably not for very long, but it’d be cool to see that.

28 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Wow. I didn't know this, it's a natural disaster area;

Screenshot_20240113_151830_TheWeatherChannel.thumb.jpg.e5bb21e2a67aa43f812ab65e9e691a12.jpg

Yeah, it’s gonna be bad. So OK you could have a dome but the NFL still wouldn’t want people stranded in it due to weather disaster, like the Superdome, or, worse, stranded on roads going to or from the stadium. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yeah, it’s gonna be bad. So OK you could have a dome but the NFL still wouldn’t want people stranded in it due to weather disaster, like the Superdome, or, worse, stranded on roads going to or from the stadium. 

Agreed. And I don't think 3 feet of snow will be cleared out with one extra day.... It's Three. Feet!!