Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 hour ago, ben9753 said:

So a multi billion dollar industry fixes their most important games, a scheme which if uncovered would destroy the league and land people in prison, but Vancouver Island TV is in on it??? 

Maybe if for some reason this year is a "one and done" event for the Lions and they go back to sucking (I don't think they will but let's just say for the sake of argument), 25 years from now the next generation will look back at the Lions' 2023 season/2024 post-season and suspect it was a hoax. AI-generated? Paid actors on the field with 60,000 extras in the stands? In some ways the Lions making the Super Bowl sounds as remarkable as man landing on the moon.

17 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Wait.....the Eagles fired the offensive coordinator? Did they already fire Patricia? If not, are they that stupid?

Patricia isn't signed beyond 2023 season, so he wasn't fired, but wasn't retained.

22 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Patricia isn't signed beyond 2023 season, so he wasn't fired, but wasn't retained.

Ohhh..ok. I just saw the blurb they fired their OC. I guess it makes sense now. But...I've never seen a team fall off the cliff in the middle of a season like the Eagles. Maybe teams tanking for the draft but not a team sitting at 10-1.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Replaced him with Patricia, right?

Patricia was elevated to play caller. Desai was still around while Patricia was calling the defense. It was like the situation with Anthony Lynn. Campbell took over play calling but Lynn was still around. 

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i expect the lions to promote from within.  maybe bring deuce staley back.

Sometimes coordinators who get head coaching jobs takes some of the assistants with them. We'll see how it all plays out. I hope both Glenn and Johnson stick around.

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Sometimes coordinators who get head coaching jobs takes some of the assistants with them. We'll see how it all plays out. I hope both Glenn and Johnson stick around.

johnson is 100% gone.

glenn maybe 50%.

The good thing about Washington if you are a potential coach is that they have the 2nd pick in the draft this year so you won't come in saddled with somebody elses QB if you don't like them. You can start from scratch and get any non Caleb QB you want and groom him from the very beginning. 

To me that would be very attractive, especially if I was an offensive minded guy like Ben Johnson. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The 49ers did trade for Trey Lance. I would think they would just take the best QB available. Ben Johnson built his system around Goff, I'm sure he would build it around whatever QB they draft. 

Could be. I could also see them drafting the best player available in Marvin Harrison though, or trading down with a QB-needy team and selecting the best OT in the draft. The fact that it’s Purdy v Goff for the NFC Championship (or even that it was Baker v Goff and Love v Purdy in the divisional) should say something about there being more than one way to build a contender. Of course you can ignore that and just look at the AFC and say that QB is all that matters, but that’s bad for my point. 🙂

I just don’t think it will be a foregone conclusion that they’ll pick the best QB available, like it probably would have been during a regime change five years ago.