Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

18 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Actually Washington's been more lucky than good. 

If the game ends with Philly inside FG range the decision to decline the penalty before Wash make the field goal won't look too good.

EDIT: and a dumb roughing the passer insures it won't. 

LOL - and anyone with the under at 50 is PO'd!

Edited by gehringer_2

“The Eagles, who had three turnovers in their first eight games, turned it over four times. They couldn’t stay on the field or get the Commanders off the field and had some untimely and uncharacteristic penalties to boot.

Washington had 81 plays, 330 yards and won time of possession 40:24 to 19:36. It had 49 running plays for 152 yards and two touchdowns. The Eagles had 47 plays and 263 yards.”

Monday Night Football: Commanders knock off undefeated Eagles 32-21

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

As long as it doesnt hurt his career long term I can't say Im upset or feel bad about that news. The Rams had their fun last year so I'm perfectly fine with them suffering this one. 

Same here and same for Stafford. I’d be okay if they shut him down soon, let him have his Tommy John surgery.

They're probably less apt to do this soon without much draft capital to speak of, but it’s looking increasingly likely that there will come a point where the Rams invest in 2023 over 2022, which is a good thing for the Lions.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

As long as it doesnt hurt his career long term I can't say Im upset or feel bad about that news. The Rams had their fun last year so I'm perfectly fine with them suffering this one. 

Ditto.  I don't want to see a player hurt, but that's part of the game and this player being hurt helps the Lions with the draft.

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Same here and same for Stafford. I’d be okay if they shut him down soon, let him have his Tommy John surgery.

They're probably less apt to do this soon without much draft capital to speak of, but it’s looking increasingly likely that there will come a point where the Rams invest in 2023 over 2022, which is a good thing for the Lions.

Maybe Stafford will do his home boys a favor and suggest that the Rams tank for draft position. 

So, it sounds like there's about a thousandy inches of snow due to fall on the Browns-Bills game this weekend.  I know it makes for a fun TV watch, but, I don't know, maybe it isn't wise to tie up resources for a football game when they might be needed to help with basic everyday life during the storm?  Maybe moving the game to Cleveland or elsewhere or another time outside of the window of the storm would make some sense?

I believe they did this once before, didn't they?  I know Detroit hosted a Vikings home game against someone else when their old dome collapsed due to snow and I seem to remember that something happened with a Bills game around then too.

Edit to add: I searched around a bit a found it: In 2014 the Jets vs. Bills game was moved to Detroit because of snow: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/sports/football/bills-home-game-against-jets-will-be-relocated.html

On 11/15/2022 at 8:30 PM, Jason_R said:

Maybe Stafford will do his home boys a favor and suggest that the Rams tank for draft position. 

Ya know, not that I want to be in a position where my team doesn't have a first round pick, but.... it's probably at least a little bit liberating for the fans knowing that there isn't any discussion/worry/thought about trying to avoid winning meaningless games to have a better draft pick.

Again: I'd still rather have the pick.

4 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I believe they did this once before, didn't they?  I know Detroit hosted a Vikings home game against someone else when their old dome collapsed due to snow .....

That year the Vikes played the next game U Minn's stadium but that was still snowed under as well so they basically threw a big party and had the public come in and help shovel it out.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Bills are going to be in Detroit for Thanksgiving anyways so might as well play this game in Detroit as well. 

Not the worst idea... I mean, I suspect they'd rather be in their own practice facility between the games but if Buffalo really gets hammered it might not be possible to get in and out of the city easily anyway.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-vs-browns-weather-as-much-as-six-feet-of-snow-could-hit-buffalo-area-lake-effect-snow-warning-issued/

Chief NFL Spokesman Brian McCarthy told ProFootballTalk on Wednesday that the league continues to monitor the weather and has "been in contact with both clubs."

He did not say whether or not the league is considering moving the game out of Buffalo. Another option would be to postpone it to either Monday or Tuesday.

There's no way they'd move it to Mon or Tues, right?  I mean that'd be awful for the Bills.  Even Playing Monday night and then having your next game be just 60 hours later?  I can't see the NFL delaying the T-day game to give the Bills more time to recover.

22 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-vs-browns-weather-as-much-as-six-feet-of-snow-could-hit-buffalo-area-lake-effect-snow-warning-issued/

There's no way they'd move it to Mon or Tues, right?  I mean that'd be awful for the Bills.  Even Playing Monday night and then having your next game be just 60 hours later?  I can't see the NFL delaying the T-day game to give the Bills more time to recover.

They can't do that.  That'd be completely unfair to the Bills.  There's no way the NFL would move the Bills-Lions off of Thanksgiving, so whatever solution they come up with have that as an immovable object.  I would expect the NFLPA to rightfully object to moving the Browns-Bills game back without making a similar move with Bills-Lions.

I would imagine if they do something with Browns-Bills, it would have to be announced sometime today, right?  And the later we get in the week, the more likely it would be a venue change rather than moving the game from Sunday to Saturday.  Not that its the main concern in this, but CBS has an open slot Saturday 12-3.  If the game then wouldn't interfere with metro Buffalo prepping for / dealing with the storm on Sunday, couldn't that be a solution?  My understanding is that the storm is supposed to hit Sunday, but if it is due before that, then Saturday in Buffalo might not be wise either.

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

I would imagine if they do something with Browns-Bills, it would have to be announced sometime today, right?  And the later we get in the week, the more likely it would be a venue change rather than moving the game from Sunday to Saturday.  Not that its the main concern in this, but CBS has an open slot Saturday 12-3.  If the game then wouldn't interfere with metro Buffalo prepping for / dealing with the storm on Sunday, couldn't that be a solution?  My understanding is that the storm is supposed to hit Sunday, but if it is due before that, then Saturday in Buffalo might not be wise either.

I know that the NFL does like to intrude on traditional highschool or college gamedays.  I don't think there is any formal agreement though on this so in an emergency they obviously could do it on a Saturday when college football is still going on (and even if there is a formal agreement on this they still might be able to do it in an emergency). 

If the snow it's supposed to really hit until Saturday night/Sunday morning, then I think this makes sense.  I suspect most people involved (vendors/fans/media/etc) would be able to do Saturday.  Obviously not all, but most.

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The best solution seems to be to move it to Detroit. Detroit is even closer to Cleveland, the Lions are on the road this week, and the Bills are playing in Detroit the next week anyways. 

Cleveland would have the advantage of being one of the teams fan bases.  Now, the Bills might prefer a neutral site if they can't have it at home, but the NFL might prefer a stadium filled with fans vs. a mostly empty Ford Field.  I still think too the Bills aren't going to just camp out in Detroit for the 4 days (unless Buffalo is impossible to get in and out of).  They're prefer their own facilities and practice field to get ready for Detroit.

Yeah I agree about the playing here suggestion, no it's not perfect solution but it seems to be the best one. I guess the only other option is to just have Cleveland host the game but that obviously would put the Bills at a disadvantage going from a home game to a true road game. 

Edited by RandyMarsh