Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

COACHING HOT SEAT TOP 5

1. KLIFF KINGSBURY, ARIZONA - Their bye week is after their next game against the Chargers

2. KLIFF KINGSBURY, ARIZONA - Only a 6 day break between games may save him the firing this week

3. KLIFF KINGSBURY, ARIZONA - Had no business getting this gig based on his losing college record

4. KLIFF KINGSBURY, ARIZONA - Kyler Murray is the most overpaid player in the league (sorry D.J. Chark)

5. NATHANIEL HACKETT, DENVER  - You don't think Russ is taking the blame, do you?

The Chargers' Staley is in trouble too.  That is where Sean Payton may land. 

I don't think the Rams will be quick to give up on their season. If they were faced with a decision like Stafford needing a surgery (Tommy John?), and were told "this surgery has between X-Y months of recovery time. If he gets it now, he will be ready for 2023 Training Camp. If he waits until January, he may miss time in the 2023 season", I could see them encouraging Stafford to get it done now. Absent that scenario though, I don't see incentive for them to just give up on their season.

They have a 2nd, 3rd, (3) 6th Round picks, and (2) 7th Round picks... Winning games might drop them a little in the 2nd and 3rd, but their large number of later round picks would probably make up for it if they needed to move up.

On the flip side, they are 3-7 and the leader in their division is 6-4. The #7 seed is also 6-4 currently. Three games is not insurmountable, especially when they still have both games against the Seahawks to come. They've looked awful of late, but if you said before the season that the Rams would go on a 6-1 run to finish the season, no one would have batted an eye.

That's not to say they won't keep losing though. They have the Chiefs next week who will likely put them at 3-8. That can take the heart out of any team.

44 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think the Rams will be quick to give up on their season. If they were faced with a decision like Stafford needing a surgery (Tommy John?), and were told "this surgery has between X-Y months of recovery time. If he gets it now, he will be ready for 2023 Training Camp. If he waits until January, he may miss time in the 2023 season", I could see them encouraging Stafford to get it done now. Absent that scenario though, I don't see incentive for them to just give up on their season.

They have a 2nd, 3rd, (3) 6th Round picks, and (2) 7th Round picks... Winning games might drop them a little in the 2nd and 3rd, but their large number of later round picks would probably make up for it if they needed to move up.

On the flip side, they are 3-7 and the leader in their division is 6-4. The #7 seed is also 6-4 currently. Three games is not insurmountable, especially when they still have both games against the Seahawks to come. They've looked awful of late, but if you said before the season that the Rams would go on a 6-1 run to finish the season, no one would have batted an eye.

That's not to say they won't keep losing though. They have the Chiefs next week who will likely put them at 3-8. That can take the heart out of any team.

they wont intentionally tank, but they are down to their 3rd string qb.  and if its one thing the rams dont have its depth.  injuries were always the thing that could derail their season.

stafford is in concussion protocol for the second time.  he may not be so quick to come back.

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

stafford is in concussion protocol for the second time.  he may not be so quick to come back.

Why would Kelly want him to come back quickly, especially after her health issues.I get that the money is good. Matt has his ring, hopefully they've made decent investments. Is it worth sacrificing your future to CTE?

Edited by CMRivdogs

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/23/matthew-stafford-ruled-out-for-week-12/

“He is in the concussion protocol. That does not mean that he has a concussion,” McVay said.  

McVay said that Stafford “felt some numbness in his legs” after being sacked and that the team wanted to take the “conservative approach” by taking him out of the game. He described Stafford as having a neck injury.

Edited by sagnam

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I respect that guy and hate to see him injured, regardless of the impact on Detroit's draft position. But I hope they shut him down and he has a long offseason to heal and figure out what to do with the rest of his life. I'd love to see him win another Super Bowl, but he also deserves a long and (hopefully) healthy retirement to enjoy his family.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I respect that guy and hate to see him injured, regardless of the impact on Detroit's draft position. But I hope they shut him down and he has a long offseason to heal and figure out what to do with the rest of his life. I'd love to see him win another Super Bowl, but he also deserves a long and (hopefully) healthy retirement to enjoy his family.

The Rams offensive line has been worse than any line he played behind on the Lions. He wasn't particularly good this year when he was playing. He's been dealing with an elbow and with Kupp out he has no receivers either. That Rams team fell apart quickly.

28 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I trust Holmes if he sees a QB he loves, but I’d love to see another starting DL, CB, and LB, with some more depth at OL   

I mentioned it in the game thread but I wouldn't mind them going with two non QBs with their first picks and either trading up in the late 1st/early 2nd or just using their 2nd depending on how things play out on Hendon Hooker or Anthony Richardson. They're by no means sure things but I think their running ability could excel in this offense and if they do end up being busts it's not as critical as if they were top 10 picks.