Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

12 hours ago, Hongbit said:

We’ve had this debate before but Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers are in the same group as Stafford, all with very similar career numbers.  Now that he’s a SB champ, Stafford could maybe get in where those other guys don’t get the shot but I don’t see any way that the other 2 are in and Stafford is not.    I personally believe that all 3 will get in.  Ryan needs to retire after this year though.  

ryan is an mvp and 4x pro bowl qb.  stafford was a pro bowl alternate once.

i just dont think stafford has enough to get in.  he has fancy yards, but was never considered a top 5 qb nationally, imo.  

even with the super bowl i dont think he ever gets in or deserves to get in.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Matthew Stafford once threw for 5,000 yards and 41 TDs and still couldn't make the Pro Bowl. He made the Pro Bowl in 2014 which was one of his worst years. Pro Bowls aren't a great measurement. I mean, Goff has two Pro Bowls under his belt. 

While Pro-Bowls aren't always a good measure of the skill of a player, I think they are important for a players HOF chances for two reasons:

1. It's an easy stat to point at and understand (ie, Lazy man research).  More Pro-Bowls means better player, right?

2. It's a judgement of how the league sees a player.  Players who get picked for the Pro-Bowl are viewed as the better player.  The stats may not say that, but the feeling (whether correct or not... insert: unmeasurables comment here) is that that player is better.

I would very much agree that Pro-Bowls aren't the best measurement of a player. But I do think Pro-Bowls contribute to the chance of a player making the HOF, meaning they should be included in the discussion of whether or not we think a player will make the HOF.  (Note this is a different discussion than whether or not a player deserves to make it to the HOF.)

Cam Newton made the Pro Bowl over Stafford despite Stafford being better than Newton in every statistical category except for rushing and the Lions had a better record and made the playoffs. I think with Stafford's case the fact that he immediately won a Super Bowl upon leaving the Lions are going to make people re-evaluate his Detroit years and realize he was better than he got credit for and got snubbed for a Pro Bowl or two.  

I think he still needs to get to 60k passing yards. Rodgers will get there next season and will be the ninth QB to reach that mark. If Stafford finished his career with the tenth most passing yards — and hit the 60k mark — with a Super Bowl in his first season off the sad sack Lions, it would be hard to keep him out. 

Also, don’t forget he was QB for two of the greatest WR seasons in history. And the New York media will remember what he did with Kenny Golladay. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I think he still needs to get to 60k passing yards. Rodgers will get there next season and will be the ninth QB to reach that mark. If Stafford finished his career with the tenth most passing yards — and hit the 60k mark — with a Super Bowl in his first season off the sad sack Lions, it would be hard to keep him out. 

Also, don’t forget he was QB for two of the greatest WR seasons in history. And the New York media will remember what he did with Kenny Golladay. 

lots of players will end up with 60k yards by the time matt stafford is up for the hall of fame.

he's never been considered a top 5 qb in the league.  ever.  pro bowls are a stat to judge you by how the rest of the league sees you.  by all the fancy metrics he's been a borderline top 10 qb for much (but definitely not all) of his career.  he's never been in the top 10 of mvp voting.  he is not considered a top 10 qb.  he's following up his kost successful team season with being injured and barely playing (and playing poorly when he did play).  he is not going to be in the hall of fame without A TON more success in his career, both team and individual.

i just dont see it.  

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

lots of players will end up with 60k yards by the time matt stafford is up for the hall of fame.

he's never been considered a top 5 qb in the league.  ever.  pro bowls are a stat to judge you by how the rest of the league sees you.  by all the fancy metrics he's been a borderline top 10 qb for much (but definitely not all) of his career.  he's never been in the top 10 of mvp voting.  he is not considered a top 10 qb.  he's following up his kost successful team season with being injured and barely playing (and playing poorly when he did play).  he is not going to be in the hall of fame without A TON more success in his career, both team and individual.

i just dont see it.  

Kurt Warner is in the Hall of Fame.  I am confident that Stafford will be as well.   He will get a pass for being on the Lions in the same way Warner got a pass for his small window of greatness.  

28 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Kurt Warner is in the Hall of Fame.  I am confident that Stafford will be as well.   He will get a pass for being on the Lions in the same way Warner got a pass for his small window of greatness.  

warner "got a pass" for his short career because he was great during his short career.  stafford was not.  warner also had great team success and stafford has not until last year.

stafford is bert jones with a ring.  he's terry bradshaw if he only one one super bowl and not four in a great dynasty.

narrative is as much about the hall of fame as stats are.  stafford doesnt have enough of either to be in the hall.  

but we'll see.  his career isnt over yet.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

warner "got a pass" for his short career because he was great during his short career.  stafford was not.  warner also had great team success and stafford has not until last year.

stafford is bert jones with a ring.  he's terry bradshaw if he only one one super bowl and not four in a great dynasty.

narrative is as much about the hall of fame as stats are.  stafford doesnt have enough of either to be in the hall.  

but we'll see.  his career isnt over yet.

Kurt Warner was a system QB 

I agree with Buddha on this one, Stafford may or may not be deserving of getting in but deserving and getting in are two different things. 

As Buddha mentioned aside for maybe last year Stafford was never once viewed as one of the best at his positions, if you were never viewed as one of the best at your position at any point its unlikely they are going to put you in the Hall where its supposed to be filled with guys that were.