Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Wow, the Washington Commanders got totally screwed on two straight plays

4th and Goal at the one with a minute left...........Wide Receivers looks over to the referee and asks if he's lined up onside and the ref gives a thumbs up and then as soon as the ball is snapped he throws the flag.   WHAT? 

4th and Goal at the Six now, throw into the end zone and there is a Giants player draped all over the Washington receiver and no call.   I was far worse than Okudah's no-call vs. the Jets. 

Total screw job and I think it's intentional.  I think they don't want Dan Snyder's team in the playoffs and they'll do whatever they can to achieve that.    I don't like him either but those players risk their necks for 59 minutes and then you prison sex them?     Bullshit.  

11 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

B3414A74-107E-4F1F-9AA6-F7DB82F52B63.jpeg.758c4ad06bf10bbfaca8b4a2faddc4c9.jpeg

One of these teams is going to host a playoff game.

Rule needs to be changed.     No losing team should host a playoff game and the league needs to stop guaranteeing every division gets in.     The best 7 teams should get in for each conference.   You can still have divisions for scheduling purposes (Dallas is still in the EAST for crying out loud).    This is an embarrassment.    A 7-10 team might get in. 

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Rule needs to be changed.     No losing team should host a playoff game and the league needs to stop guaranteeing every division gets in.     The best 7 teams should get in for each conference.   You can still have divisions for scheduling purposes (Dallas is still in the EAST for crying out loud).    This is an embarrassment.    A 7-10 team might get in. 

I think that division winners should get an auto-bid but I would be okay with not allowing them a home game if they finish with a record below .500.

If the NFC South is won at 7-10, they still won their division. But let them go on the road to the #2 seed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think they should give home field advantage to the team with the better record. Keep the seeding the same, division winners get the 1-4 seeds but a division winner is not guaranteed home field. I think that would really only apply to the 4-5 matchup. I think it would be rare the 6th seed has more wins than the 3 seed. 

Every league should apply this.

On 12/18/2022 at 9:12 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

B3414A74-107E-4F1F-9AA6-F7DB82F52B63.jpeg.758c4ad06bf10bbfaca8b4a2faddc4c9.jpeg

One of these teams is going to host a playoff game.

I honestly have no problem with that.  Now, in a perfect would I would not want a team that is .500 (or worse!) in the playoffs, let alone hosting a playoff game.  But I would rather that vs. not having the division winner in the playoffs.

I think especially in the NFL were you do not play that many teams in the league, winning your division is important and should count for something.  It shows you are the best of the four teams at the very least.

Now, I could probably be persuaded that hosting duties should be determined by record vs. just given to division winners, but honestly I don't think it happens that often where a division winner is that much worse than a wild card winner.

I've mentioned this before (even in the game thread this week) but I honestly think that Belichick as a coach is overrated.  I think he lucked into Brady, perhaps the greatest QB who's played the game professionally, and too many people just assumed that he was the driving cause of the success that Brady has had.

I'll point to two bits of evidence on why I think Belichick is overrated... neither of which is a smoking gun, but still substantial enough that I think it's telling:

1. Record.  Over all, including playoffs, Belichick as a HC has a pretty nice record: 328 wins to 163 losses, or a 66.8 winning percentage.  Not bad at all!  But most of his HC career has overlapped having Brady as his QB.  In games where Brady was NOT the starter for Belichick, his record is uninspiring: 79/87... or 47.6%  The reason this isn't a smoking gun is that the sample size here is small and consists mainly of his time in Cleveland and a few years in NE w/o Brady as the team has struggled to find a starting QB. However, if Belichick is to be considered one of the best coaches of all time, should he not be able to coach up a replacement QB?  Should he not have been able to find some level of success outside of his once-in-a-generation QB?

2. Coaching Tree.  I would expect that a coach who is to being considered as the greatest of all time would have at least a decent level of successful coaches developed under him.  Even if he wasn't actively trying to train/teach his lower level coaches, I would expect some level of his thinking/talent/ability would wear off on his coordinators.  And yet I can't think of a single person, outside of Nick Saban, who's had even a solid, successful career as a HC after parting ways with Belichick.  And even looking at Saban, he was Belichick's DC during his Cleveland years when Belichick only had won winning season.

We'll see if Belichick proves me wrong later, but as of right now I think Belichick is an average coach at best...  I think he lucked into a super star QB and road on Brady's coat tails to fame and fortune.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

His attachment to a yahoo like Patricia certainly should ding his credibility with anyone who's been following the Lions and seen Patricia up close. 

Yeah... and that sorta bring up a possible point 3 of questionable things he's done.  I mean Patricia as the "not-OC" just so the Lions have to still pay him is worth mentioned as well as 'Spy-gate,' 'Deflategate,' and many other times he's been accused of cheating.

18 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah... and that sorta bring up a possible point 3 of questionable things he's done.  I mean Patricia as the "not-OC" just so the Lions have to still pay him is worth mentioned as well as 'Spy-gate,' 'Deflategate,' and many other times he's been accused of cheating.

Yup. Low class move. If the Lions weren't a classy org themselves (which they pretty much are, despite the losing and Calvin Johnson's opinion), they would get down and dirty with NE and force them into court to defend themselves against the fraud charge. But I'm sure Goodell doesn't want to see that.

Edited by gehringer_2

i think belichick is the greatest coach in nfl history.  theyve found and developed a lot of players who, when they leave, turn out to be terrible.  he won 16 games in one of the greatest seasons of all time, he's done it multiple years in a salary cap environment that is tough to keep teams together.

guys like chuck noll did it with one group of amazing players over a 5-6 year period then flamed out as a coach.

landry did it over multiple teams, shula too.  neither won like belichick.

the guy who may be underrated as an all time coach is andy reid.  and dan campbell, of course...