Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

8 hours ago, RedRamage said:

image.png.a9cca472634f71590342d0ea8c329d58.png

I said this to my friend when watching the game, I told him that eventually they will threaten the fans by giving the Bills a penalty. He asked how could they do that and I brought up that Barry 2k game where Lions fans were so loud the Jets couldn't call plays so the refs came on the mic and threatened us with I believe 5 yard delay of game penalties or something like that.

48 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I said this to my friend when watching the game, I told him that eventually they will threaten the fans by giving the Bills a penalty. He asked how could they do that and I brought up that Barry 2k game where Lions fans were so loud the Jets couldn't call plays so the refs came on the mic and threatened us with I believe 5 yard delay of game penalties or something like that.

They changed the rule about volume a few seasons after that. If the Lions ever host a playoff game it’ll be roaring in there and they won’t stop it.

I have a feeling the snowball thing was an empty threat though. How do you enforce that? I guess ultimately it’s on home game management, but that threat is just asking for Miami fans to start hurling snowballs. If one lands and Buffalo gets knocked 15 yards, you just helped your team way more than volume could have.

I feel like it would be more appropriate to treat it like trash getting thrown on the field and clear the field, send the teams to the locker room if you have to and - importantly - stop selling beer during the stoppage. The fans throwing snow will get cold soon enough.

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I have a feeling the snowball thing was an empty threat though. How do you enforce that? I guess ultimately it’s on home game management, but that threat is just asking for Miami fans to start hurling snowballs. If one lands and Buffalo gets knocked 15 yards, you just helped your team way more than volume could have.

That was my thought.  I'm not sure how in the world you catch a fan in the act of throwing a snow ball.  Now, after the fact there might be enough video from others in the stadium that you can find out who threw it and determine if it was a visiting fan or not, but I don't see anyway in the moment to be able to pinpoint the fan who threw it and figure out if it was a Bills backer or not.

i love sunday ticket.  we'll see how it goes with streaming, i kind of liked recording it and watching it again.

red zone is probably the most overrated channel, imo.  i like to watch the games, not just when one team is in the other team's 20 yard line.  i hope youtube doesnt get eid of the nfl mix channel where you can watch all the games at once.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

i love sunday ticket.  we'll see how it goes with streaming, i kind of liked recording it and watching it again.

red zone is probably the most overrated channel, imo.  i like to watch the games, not just when one team is in the other team's 20 yard line.  i hope youtube doesnt get eid of the nfl mix channel where you can watch all the games at once.

Streaming is great if you have the proper bandwidth. I switched to Directv stream this year, 4k everything is fantastic. Only downside was the AT&T merger did not allow the sunday ticket for stream. Forced to go the VPN NFL Europe route. Glad I won't have to do that going forward.

Not sure how they will integrate into YouTubeTV but it has an unlimited DVR space so you can still record everything and watch it back.  The ability to watch easily from a phone or computer is really nice and keeps me out of trouble with the family for not needing to sit on the couch to watch sports.    I really they hope they don’t pump up the price to pay for Sunday Ticket. 

22 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Couldn’t even make it to Black Monday

Not everyone is cut out to be an NFL head coach.  This guy is an elite QB coach and a damn good OC.  Don’t fault him for trying it but he needs to stay in his proper lane from now on.  

They should’ve hired Dan Quinn instead of Hackett.  They should right this mistake and bring him in as soon as the season is over. 

Edited by Hongbit

On 12/20/2022 at 10:37 PM, RandyMarsh said:

I was at that game............it only made us louder when they made those threats.  

At what point does the NFL force a retirement? They’ve been sued to Timbuktu by the estates of deceased NFL players with CTE. Can they justify allowing a player to continue to play with three concussions in the span of a season? However many in the course of a career?

At some point a physician will recommend Tua not to continue to play football. Will he just doctor shop like Mike White did, hoping to find a doctor willing to clear him?

COACHING HOT SEAT

Already in the ER with 3rd degree burns on their bottoms are Frank Reich, Matt Rhule and now Nathaniel Hackett, which most people saw coming around.......well.........Week 1. 

So the new rankings are 

#1 Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona.   Surprised he made it this far.  

#2 Arthur Smith, Atlanta.  Do I think he gets fired?   No, but his game management is awful.

#3 Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland.   Someone's going to take the blame for another disappointing season

#4 Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay.   It's going to depend on Tom Brady, but it shouldn't and another black Head Coach being a One-And-Done will give more weight to Brian Flores' claims

#4 Josh McDaniel, Las Vegas.  I think he's done just enough to keep his job, for now, but the Davis family is impatient

That's it.  I think everyone is safe.   Dennis Allen in New Orleans could be a bubble guy is someone irresistible comes along.  Sean McVay could walk away.  Pete Carroll could decide to retire but the way Russ has played in Denver makes me believe Pete really is a mad genius and Russ was never all that great.   

So the openings are or  will likely be

Arizona - Seattle OC Shane Waldron could end up here

Carolina - Could this be a spot for Lions OC Ben Johnson?   

Denver - Forget about Eric Bieniemy..........way too much personal baggage.  

Indianapolis - If Jim Harbaugh happens to win it all at Michigan, he could jump

Los Angeles Rams - If McVay leaves, Sean Payton comes here

On 12/13/2022 at 12:53 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

Hot Seat / Replacement Predictions

1. Panthers: Matt Rhule (already out) / Steve Wilks (Panthers Interim HC)

2. Colts: Frank Reich (already out) / Dan Quinn (Cowboys DC)

3. Cardinals: Kliff Kingsbury (fired on Black Monday) / DeMeco Ryan (49ers DC)

4. Broncos: Nate Hackett (fired on Black Monday) / Eric Bienemy (Chiefs OC)

5. Chargers: Brandon Staley (fired after wildcard exit) / Sean Payton (FOX)

6. Texans: Lovie Smith ("retires") / Kellen Moore (Cowboys OC)

7. Rams: Sean McVay (retires) / Raheem Morris (Rams DC)

8. Patriots: Bill Belichick (retires) / Jerod Mayo (Patriots LB Coach)

I think Bowles gets a second year as Brady retires and the team enters a rebuild. Josh McDaniels gets a second year too even though he doesn't deserve it.

I stand by almost everything. I think Staley keeps his job. I don’t think McVay retires anymore.

Less opportunities for the Lions coordinators to be stolen.

26 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

At what point does the NFL force a retirement? They’ve been sued to Timbuktu by the estates of deceased NFL players with CTE. Can they justify allowing a player to continue to play with three concussions in the span of a season? However many in the course of a career?

At some point a physician will recommend Tua not to continue to play football. Will he just doctor shop like Mike White did, hoping to find a doctor willing to clear him?

what would be the precedent for a league forcing a player to quit?  its his body, he can do what he wants.  if its an issue, the doctors can tell him he is unfit to play.

how many concussions do you think steve young or troy aikman had?  they continued to play.  i dont think the league can or should tell a player he is unfit to play.

also, you can always pay a doctor to give you the diagnosis you want.  years of litigation have shown me that.  doctors are whores. 

• Like 1