Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

what would be the precedent for a league forcing a player to quit?  its his body, he can do what he wants.  if its an issue, the doctors can tell him he is unfit to play.

how many concussions do you think steve young or troy aikman had?  they continued to play.  i dont think the league can or should tell a player he is unfit to play.

also, you can always pay a doctor to give you the diagnosis you want.  years of litigation have shown me that.  doctors are whores. 

Ultimately I guess it’s on their supposedly independent doctors. At some point will they refuse to clear a QB with X number of past concussions? Their license is on the line after all, though I’m sure the NFL pays them handsomely to do this instead of practice.

That would be a practically forced retirement if he can’t play based on the NFL’s protocols.

20 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Ultimately I guess it’s on their supposedly independent doctors. At some point will they refuse to clear a QB with X number of past concussions? Their license is on the line after all, though I’m sure the NFL pays them handsomely to do this instead of practice.

That would be a practically forced retirement if he can’t play based on the NFL’s protocols.

if they league tells him he cant play, he'll sue to force them to allow him to play and find a doctor who says he's fine.  if the league lets him play, in 20 years he'll find a doctor who says he is brain damaged and the league never should have let him play.  and in the meantime the players union will fight it and demand he be allowed to play if a doctor clears him (which their doctor will).

might as well let him play and kick the litigation can down the road...

besides, i dont think the league wants to be in the business of saying a player with "x" isnt allowed to play and then preventing him from playing.  it opens the door to too many other potential issues.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

if they league tells him he cant play, he'll sue to force them to allow him to play and find a doctor who says he's fine.  if the league lets him play, in 20 years he'll find a doctor who says he is brain damaged and the league never should have let him play.  and in the meantime the players union will fight it and demand he be allowed to play if a doctor clears him (which their doctor will).

might as well let him play and kick the litigation can down the road...

besides, i dont think the league wants to be in the business of saying a player with "x" isnt allowed to play and then preventing him from playing.  it opens the door to too many other potential issues.

Those are exactly the issues the NFL is faced with. When (not whether) to face the litigation, and whether this (concussions) is the road they want to die on.

I could see them putting up something of a fight if their doctors say no more, because it helps them in the litigation long run, to point at and say “hey we didn’t think they should play either after all these concussions but we weren’t given a choice!” - ultimately though, I agree that this is a can of worms that the NFL is cautious to open.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Those are exactly the issues the NFL is faced with. When (not whether) to face the litigation, and whether this (concussions) is the road they want to die on.

I could see them putting up something of a fight if their doctors say no more, because it helps them in the litigation long run, to point at and say “hey we didn’t think they should play either after all these concussions but we weren’t given a choice!” - ultimately though, I agree that this is a can of worms that the NFL is cautious to open.

this is america, they're going to get sued no matter what.  the public has already bought the whole cte thing and now believes any bump on the head is a life altering brain injury.

they're going to end up giving the union a billion dollars for a fund to deal with brain injury issues and let them deal with it.

(and the union will proceed to mismanage the money and get sued by players and the litigation carousel will continue.  because if it is one thing we know for sure its that lawyers will get paid.)

• Thanks 2

After seeing Stafford show what the addition of the right QB can do to a team last year, we’ve been treated to quite a bit of “grass isn’t greener” this year.

Broncos, Cardinals, and Raiders may be wishing they didn’t have that “QB of the future” they thought they had. Browns are probably sweating too, though falling on their face without Watson gives his something of a pass.

The Lions are pretty fortunate to have Goff until the right next QB presents themselves.

On 12/27/2022 at 11:59 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

If the NFL doctors have documented proof the player shouldn't play and the player insists on playing, he should have to sign a waiver warning him of the consequences. And the NFL wouldn't be liable for future damages.

19 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

After seeing Stafford show what the addition of the right QB can do to a team last year, we’ve been treated to quite a bit of “grass isn’t greener” this year.

Broncos, Cardinals, and Raiders may be wishing they didn’t have that “QB of the future” they thought they had. Browns are probably sweating too, though falling on their face without Watson gives his something of a pass.

The Lions are pretty fortunate to have Goff until the right next QB presents themselves.

I would trade Goff for Derek Carr and the Raiders 1st round pick.

On 12/28/2022 at 12:51 PM, sagnam said:

He's done.      It's sad because he finally lived up to expectations this year, but it's just too risky now.   I am just thinking of the stories in 2032 or 2033 of how screwed up he's going to be and how sad it is and how everyone will pledge to do more, but they won't. 

New Coaching Hot Seat rankings with one week left  (Interims don't count)

1 - Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona.   No-brainer.   As the Trinity Killer says on Dexter's kill table "It's already over:. 

2 - Ron Rivera, Washington.  Back on the list. Reason #1 is putting Wentz back in at starter based on Heinecke having one bad game.  A colossal mistake.   Reason #2 is that he was unaware his team could be eliminated from the playoffs today.  That's inexcusable.   Plus, I have a feeling we'll have a new owner in DC next year who will want to start fresh., 

3 - Mike Vrabel,  Tennessee.   The collapse of the Titans is profound.    A win vs. the Jags at Jacksonville can still win them the division, but even so, unless he was to guide them to the AFC Championship, he'll be out.    A new GM is coming in anyway, the call will be theirs. 

If I have to have a top 5

4 - Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland  (I think he'd get another shot within two years)

5 - Arthur Smith, Atlanta (game management as bad as Hackett in Denver)

So the open jobs will likely be

Already Open

Carolina - Steve Wilkes gets screwed again, Owner will want to make a big splash

Indianapolis - They will make a very serious run at Harbaugh and there won't need to be an interview

Denver - Condi Rice will be one of the 2 or 3 people that makes the hire.   Forget Beineimy, too much personal baggage (he's not a great guy).  

Probably Open

Arizona - Byron Leftwich had his coaching internship there, he could return

Tennessee - Vrabel got stale and Henry's getting older. If they land a good QB, maybe their fortunes change.  Could Jim Schwartz be the first ex-Head Coach of the Lions to get another shot in over 50 years?  

Washington - Totally no idea what happens in the offseason, it's a trainwreck, but Ron Rivera's lack of awareness and bungling of the QB situation was very bad. 

It Depends

Dallas - another quick playoff exit seals Mike McCarthy's fate

LA  Rams - (if McVay walks away) - Sean Payton's gig if McVay leaves

Atlanta & Cleveland aren't likely, but something could happen there.  

On 1/2/2023 at 12:32 AM, MichiganCardinal said:

Hadn't seen this. Maybe they should void that game.... just don't count it for anyone.....

As much as I'd love to see the Lions gain a half a game, I don't think you can do that.  Both teams had to play on the same surface so it wasn't like it gave an advantage to one team vs. the other.

At the very least it could explain the poor effort by the Lions. People don't realize when teams travel on the road they only travel with so much equipment including shoes/spikes, the ones they traveled with may have not been suited for how the field ended up. Whereas the home team has all that stuff in the locker room so it's easier for them to make the correction. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

At the very least it could explain the poor effort by the Lions. People don't realize when teams travel on the road they only travel with so much equipment including shoes/spikes, the ones they traveled with may have not been suited for how the field ended up. Whereas the home team has all that stuff in the locker room so it's easier for them to make the correction. 

The Montreal Forum had tilted ice that tilted downward in the direction the Habs went in the first and third periods. 

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not sure how long you’ve believed this story but it’s not true.  

LOL - I was thinking about how you could actually do this since gravity keeps the surface of water level in any natural body that freezes, but in an arena if you are creating the initial ice by spraying thin layers then continuing to build with a Zamboni I suppose you could create tilted ice.  In any case I am old enough to have watched/listened to many a game from the old forum and never heard any such complaint from the Wings.

What I am curious about though is that I have tried to find the ice dimensions from the old Forum and haven't found them anywhere on the web. I remember it as a bigger ice surface, certainly deeper corners, maybe Olympic width(?), but I've not found any confirmation one way or the other.

On 1/1/2023 at 8:37 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

New Coaching Hot Seat rankings with one week left  (Interims don't count)

1 - Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona.   No-brainer.   As the Trinity Killer says on Dexter's kill table "It's already over:. 

2 - Ron Rivera, Washington.  Back on the list. Reason #1 is putting Wentz back in at starter based on Heinecke having one bad game.  A colossal mistake.   Reason #2 is that he was unaware his team could be eliminated from the playoffs today.  That's inexcusable.   Plus, I have a feeling we'll have a new owner in DC next year who will want to start fresh., 

3 - Mike Vrabel,  Tennessee.   The collapse of the Titans is profound.    A win vs. the Jags at Jacksonville can still win them the division, but even so, unless he was to guide them to the AFC Championship, he'll be out.    A new GM is coming in anyway, the call will be theirs. 

If I have to have a top 5

4 - Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland  (I think he'd get another shot within two years)

5 - Arthur Smith, Atlanta (game management as bad as Hackett in Denver)

So the open jobs will likely be

Already Open

Carolina - Steve Wilkes gets screwed again, Owner will want to make a big splash

Indianapolis - They will make a very serious run at Harbaugh and there won't need to be an interview

Denver - Condi Rice will be one of the 2 or 3 people that makes the hire.   Forget Beineimy, too much personal baggage (he's not a great guy).  

Probably Open

Arizona - Byron Leftwich had his coaching internship there, he could return

Tennessee - Vrabel got stale and Henry's getting older. If they land a good QB, maybe their fortunes change.  Could Jim Schwartz be the first ex-Head Coach of the Lions to get another shot in over 50 years?  

Washington - Totally no idea what happens in the offseason, it's a trainwreck, but Ron Rivera's lack of awareness and bungling of the QB situation was very bad. 

It Depends

Dallas - another quick playoff exit seals Mike McCarthy's fate

LA  Rams - (if McVay walks away) - Sean Payton's gig if McVay leaves

Atlanta & Cleveland aren't likely, but something could happen there.  

Condi Rice is going to war to get the candidate she wants and they'll probably just bomb out in the end after feeling cheated and lied too.