Visual Amusement. (Keep it clean!)

RedRamage

3 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Which makes zero sense to me. It is WAY warmer in late August than it is in early June.

I think for many who are involved with fall sports school starts in August anyway.... with practices and all that.  It leaves less time in the summer to plan vacations.  And with younger kids parents are like "Ok, go back already... I love you but I'm also kind of sick of you...."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

There is a MI law but districts and schools can apply for waivers. And most do.  They'd rather go back earlier and end earlier.

Thanks for that clarification. I had a pretty good recollection that it has been passed but not why it didn't seem to still be in force.  So it's the waiver mechanism that has effectively gutted it's effect.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I think for many who are involved with fall sports school starts in August anyway.... with practices and all that.  It leaves less time in the summer to plan vacations.  And with younger kids parents are like "Ok, go back already... I love you but I'm also kind of sick of you...."

Between Fall sports and extra circulars like Band Camp (preparing for the Festival season as well as FB) summer seems to end in early August.

Probably another argument for year round school with semesters, quarters or whatever broken up with several two or three week breaks. Tradition had Summer vacations so that offspring could help with the agricultural seasons (if I remember correctly). Now parents pull kids out of school for numerous reasons, mostly off season vacations.