POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

It is my unsolicited opinion that most of the posters in this political forum would like the movie Oppenheimer.   I just watched it and I thought it was really good.

I really enjoyed it.  My son told me he kept hearing “woke” instead of communism.  

I would watch again in a heartbeat. 

I keep hearing Hitler and Goebbels when I hear the term "woke" used as a weapon.   Stalin used the weapons at hand (the folly of western intellectuals and dreamers) to oppress and dominate. 

6 hours ago, oblong said:

I really enjoyed it.  My son told me he kept hearing “woke” instead of communism.  

I would watch again in a heartbeat. 

Can we talk about the poor power infrastructure here in Michigan? This is the second time we have lost power here in Ann Arbor in five months. Last time it was for five days, this time we have an ETA for Saturday when ours is restored. Does this happen as much in other midwestern states?

2 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Can we talk about the poor power infrastructure here in Michigan? This is the second time we have lost power here in Ann Arbor in five months. Last time it was for five days, this time we have an ETA for Saturday when ours is restored. Does this happen as much in other midwestern states?

Trees and above ground utities are not particularly compatible.

My peeve  is that the storm did not knock out my power but then DTW disconnected me early this moring anyway when they apparently had to shut the area down completely. 

I have a gas range, and a generator just big enough to keep the fridge and Router going. It's all good.

DTE spent a few months in my neighborhood a few years ago, going yard by yard, doing extensive tree trimming.  My neighborhood's "name" has the word Woods in it... so lots of trees.

Frankly I think it's just a matter of staying on top of keeping the power lines as clear as possible from any branches or limbs that may fall off or fly away.   Not much you can do when a storm blows in and lines get hit with flying wood.

To add a third point to G2's items.... increased extreme weather.  This year has been crazy.  Didn't rain at all in May.  But I don't recall having this number of severe and intense bursts of rain.  It might rain for 3 minutes but it's an extremely hard rain.

Yep they cut down all the trees behind our house and the neighbor behind us after the wire came down with the ice storm. Looks weird because there’s no privacy behind houses, but hopefully it helps. This time it was a downed wire across the street. I guess we are in the City of Trees here in A2. Girlfriend’s parents live down the road in Scio and their lines are underground. No power issues there. 

My neighborhood has underground lines, but we've had our share of outages in the last few years and several didn't even have storms associated with them.  Additionally you can blame harsher weather, but it's not unlike our roads, we fair worse than those around us that have similar weather.  Nessel took money from DTE to ensure they didn't give that money to someone else that wouldn't fight for us though, so we're all good.

23 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Yep they cut down all the trees behind our house and the neighbor behind us after the wire came down with the ice storm. Looks weird because there’s no privacy behind houses, but hopefully it helps. This time it was a downed wire across the street. I guess we are in the City of Trees here in A2. Girlfriend’s parents live down the road in Scio and their lines are underground. No power issues there. 

They’ve been stringing new lines in our neighborhood all summer and it still all went out. 

26 minutes ago, pfife said:

Electricity never went out before the Nessel regime not sure if you were aware

Yup, definitely was a problem before....different letter next to their names, but same issues still.

Note, my comment on Nessel was referencing when she was asked about taking money from DTE and she said she had to, because if she didn't, her opponent would.  Unfortunately it's true in today's state of politics, but horrible at the same time.

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

tweet and story link for Sue:

Notice this all comes from Austin, not a locally elected Houston official. And what shade of student do you suppose those 28 schools feature? Sounds like a typical definition of institutional racism.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1