POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The thing that I think is very hard to women in American politics is to hit is that perfect note on disposition. Whitmer is almost Reaganesque in her ability to be Sunny yet Serious. Hillary I think aspired to get to 'Happy Warrior' but still came across to too many as a cold. We don't really know if she has the all around skills to go national but there is definitely some unique talent there.

Economy's flying in Michigan.  I think it's the fastest-growing in the US (or near the top).   She's standing up for those being attacked by the GOP (well, anyone that isn't a straight white male).     They actually attacked her on the roads issue in this past election.  Because 60 years of road neglect could be fixed in 3 1/2 years, right?    She's got the Republicans so out of sorts here that they put Kristina Karamo in charge of the party (and they are already out of money).    She's playing it right, too.  She focuses on positivity and letting people be who they are.  Basically "I'm gonna do what I need to do, you can go sulk in the corner, have a nice day".     For all the phony Republican rhetoric about the government leaving them alone,  she's the one actually doing that.   (Sorry GOPers and SovCidiots, taxes are part of life, get over it).    "It's Shark Seek, mother****ers !".  You're damn  right it is.   BIG GRETCH 2028 !!!!!

38 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Economy's flying in Michigan.  I think it's the fastest-growing in the US (or near the top).   She's standing up for those being attacked by the GOP (well, anyone that isn't a straight white male).     They actually attacked her on the roads issue in this past election.  Because 60 years of road neglect could be fixed in 3 1/2 years, right?    She's got the Republicans so out of sorts here that they put Kristina Karamo in charge of the party (and they are already out of money).    She's playing it right, too.  She focuses on positivity and letting people be who they are.  Basically "I'm gonna do what I need to do, you can go sulk in the corner, have a nice day".     For all the phony Republican rhetoric about the government leaving them alone,  she's the one actually doing that.   (Sorry GOPers and SovCidiots, taxes are part of life, get over it).    "It's Shark Seek, mother****ers !".  You're damn  right it is.   BIG GRETCH 2028 !!!!!

She's the same sort of Sparty Chick that this Michigan Man married.  No regrets. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Pancreatic cancer has taken too many folks in my world 

I have known a few also.  One of them said to me once "if you have to get cancer, pancreatic is the one that you want...relatively quick, relatively painless".  I think that there have been some advances in treatment since his day.

1 hour ago, ben9753 said:

Brings nostalgia for a different America. Only 15 years ago but it seems like a different country. 

I hope the whole thing he went through didn’t stress him out and maybe lead to this. Forty-nine is really young to go like that.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

so how long before the Big 3 decide to take a shutdown and lock out the UAW in response to the rolling strike strategy?

No need for a lockout. The Big 3 should give the UAW everything they want and then pass the added cost to the consumer by raising prices.  Everyone else does. This is how big business operates these days in most other industries.  Why bother with a sound business model with a supply chain and infrastructure that limits inefficiencies and waste when you have a consumer that will always pay more and won’t ever say enough is enough.  

Edited by Hongbit
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

No need for a lockout. The Big 3 should give the UAW everything they want and then pass the added cost to the consumer by raising prices.  Everyone else does. This is how big business operates these days in most other industries.  Why bother with a sound business model with a supply chain and infrastructure that limits inefficiencies and waste when you have a consumer that will always pay more and won’t ever say enough is enough.  

I'm no fan of American business, but of all the industries in the US to bang on, the Auto industry is pretty close to organized labor's worst choice. They may be a target of opportunity, but a foolish choice strategically. And 40% is never a realistic ask. But the corps have themselves to blame. Put the Union on the board and you wouldn't have to worry nearly as much about unrealistic demands being made. Of course you would get demands for more rational upper level compensation plans....ergo there are is no union representation on the boards.

52 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Exaclty, thats why it costs $12 for value meal. You want $15 to flip burgers? Sure, now most fast food joints lock the doors and have drive thru only, or you order from a kiosk. Big business always passes the buck. 

Edited by Tigeraholic1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Exaclty, thats why it costs $12 for value meal. You want $15 to flip burgers? Sure, now most fast food joints lock the doors and have drive thru only, or you order from a kiosk. Big business always passes the buck. 

I would argue working in fast food just just as hard as working in a factory or warehouse.  You are on your feet all day.  They do more than just flip burgers.   The kiosks are a response to labor shortages and simply a way to keep your staff focused on other things.  When I worked retail having to deal with a customer was a pain in the ass because you often had other things you needed to be doing.  CVS has the self checkout now so when I have to pay I don't have to bother the person stocking shelves who needs to stop what she's doing and walk across the floor so she can do what I can do myself.   Boomers have aged into retirement now.  Workers have choices and business has to fight for them like they have to fight for customers.  Nobody's entitled to a labor force.  I've seen too many business owners on TV whining about lazy people not wanting to work.  They do.  Just not for you.

My son was arguing with my bro in law a few weeks ago and I was proud of him.  A comment was made about "HS kids flipping burgers makeing $17 an hour".  My son asked if those jobs were only for HS workers then why are they open during school hours?

I think a lot of fast food places simply found out that most people don't care to eat inside anymore and it's not worth paying for more people to keep the dining room clean.  OUr favorite middle eastern place became a carryout haven during COVID so much that now he cringes when people want to eat inside.  It throws off his routine.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, oblong said:

I would argue working in fast food just just as hard as working in a factory or warehouse.  You are on your feet all day.  They do more than just flip burgers.   The kiosks are a response to labor shortages and simply a way to keep your staff focused on other things.  When I worked retail having to deal with a customer was a pain in the ass because you often had other things you needed to be doing.  CVS has the self checkout now so when I have to pay I don't have to bother the person stocking shelves who needs to stop what she's doing and walk across the floor so she can do what I can do myself.   Boomers have aged into retirement now.  Workers have choices and business has to fight for them like they have to fight for customers.  Nobody's entitled to a labor force.  I've seen too many business owners on TV whining about lazy people not wanting to work.  They do.  Just not for you.

My son was arguing with my bro in law a few weeks ago and I was proud of him.  A comment was made about "HS kids flipping burgers makeing $17 an hour".  My son asked if those jobs were only for HS workers then why are they open during school hours?

I think a lot of fast food places simply found out that most people don't care to eat inside anymore and it's not worth paying for more people to keep the dining room clean.  OUr favorite middle eastern place became a carryout haven during COVID so much that now he cringes when people want to eat inside.  It throws off his routine.  

Agree on everything. I would have to think the profit margin on a durable good from a factory would be more than a cheesburger. Fast food has to pass it on to the consumer and or cut costs.

We talked before and I worked at KFC through HS and is was a crappy paying job then and I am glad it has gotten a little better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Agree on everything. I would have to think the profit margin on a durable good from a factory would be more than a cheesburger. Fast food has to pass it on to the consumer and or cut costs.

We talked before and I worked at KFC through HS and is was a crappy paying job then and I am glad it has gotten a little better. 

I learned things at KFC that I still utilize today. It taught me so much. Dexterity. Multi tasking. Planning.

And if was a hell of a lot of fun. 

• Haha 1

Better watch what you do and say in your car ...

Here's my favorite part:

A surprising number (56%) also say they can share your information with the government or law enforcement in response to a “request.” Not a high bar court order, but something as easy as an “informal request.” Yikes -- that’s a very low bar! A 2023 rewrite of Thelma & Louise would have the ladies in custody before you’ve had a chance to make a dent in your popcorn. But seriously, car companies' willingness to share your data is beyond creepy. It has the potential to cause real harm and inspired our worst cars-and-privacy nightmares.

Really? Car companies reserve the right to turn over your data to law enforcement even for an informal request? Yikes! What would that even look like?

(brrrring!)

Car Company: Hello?

Law Enforcement Agency: Hello, Car Company, this is your local, state and/or federal Law Enforcement Agency.

Car Company: Oh, hello! Would you like to obtain all the data on everything our customers and their passengers ever said or done while in our cars which they paid us money for the privilege of driving but we still think of as ours anyway?

Law Enforcement Agency: Oh! Well, we were really just calling to see whether you wanted to get a bite for lunch, but as long as you're of ...

Car Company: Sent!

Law Enforcement Agency: ... fering ...

Car Company: Check your FTP client, should already be there!

Law Enforcement Agency: Oh! And there it is! Hey, thanks a bunch! We'll let you know whether we need you to testify in any trials.

Car Company: Looking forward to it! Just let us know!

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The great American obsesession - "buying stuff that we don't need with money we don't have" 

6 hours ago, oblong said:

This reminds me of the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs where the gang has finished breakfast at a restaurant and Steve Buscemi is the only one who won't leave a tip and he has the usual bull**** reasons for not leaving one.  All the other hoods led by Harvey Keitel are trying to reason with him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

“I got two words for you.  Learn to ****ing type”

Lol, good advice in 1992 when typists had suffered from the latest Kondratieff wave, the advent of a computer on every desk.  Suddenly  managers did not need typists.  So, learning to type is just about the worst skill to acquire in 1992.  Did Tarantino know that?  Oh absolutely.   

• Like 1