POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

11 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Lol, good advice in 1992 when typists had suffered from the latest Kondratieff wave, the advent of a computer on every desk.  Suddenly  managers did not need typists.  So, learning to type is just about the worst skill to acquire in 1992.  Did Tarantino know that?  Oh absolutely.   

Notice in the scene when Joe walks up to collect the tip, he notices right away someone “didn’t throw in” and when asked who it’s Mr Orange who tattles in Mr Pink. Foreshadowing his status as the rat. 

lol seriously mother**** this guy

4. 🐦 Musk says X will charge everyone

1695095633735.jpg

Elon Musk, holding one of his sons, talks with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in New York on Sunday. Photo: Turkish Presidency/AP

Elon Musk said he's moving to require all users to pay a monthly fee to use his social media site X, formerly Twitter, Axios' Sara Fischer reports.

• Why it matters: The comments, which Musk made during a live-streamed event on X with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, come as the company struggles to regain trust with advertisers.

Netanyahu brought up the large armies of bots that amplify hate speech.

• Musk replied: "The single most important reason we're moving to having a small monthly payment for use of the X system is it's the only way I can think of to combat vast armies of bots."

Musk said adding a subscription would make it much more difficult for bots to create accounts, because each bot would need to register a new credit card.

• He added that the company plans to come out with "a lower tier pricing" than it currently charges X Premium subscribers — around $8 monthly.

🥊 Reality check: Musk has often teased new products or innovations, only to change course.

Why does Elon assume the people that run propaganda bots aren't willing to invest $ in their activity? Will small fees stop state sponsored Russian disinformation efforts? I doubt it, they are already investing big money in the hardware and manpower behind these programs, why would a few more bucks stop them?

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Why does Elon assume the people that run propaganda bots aren't willing to invest $ in their activity? Will small fees stop state sponsored Russian disinformation efforts? I doubt it, they are already investing big money in the hardware and manpower behind these programs, why would a few more bucks stop them?

Exactly.  His excuse/“reasoning”  is so…. What’s the word…. DISHONEST.

• Thanks 2

I was never a Twitter addict. I don’t check up on it every day. The majority of the times i interact with Twitter, actually, is through posts here. Sometime I will want to share a story I read on a website and I will look for a tweet about it to share here instead of the link.

I really liked how MTS would convert a raw link we posted to the article title automatically.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was never a Twitter addict. I don’t check up on it every day. The majority of the times i interact with Twitter, actually, is through posts here. Sometime I will want to share a story I read on a website and I will look for a tweet about it to share here instead of the link.

I really liked how MTS would convert a raw link we posted to the article title automatically.

Only thing I have used it for is to follow the tactical reports out of Ukraine and Musk has been messing with the visibility of posters he regards as too anti-Russian, so screw him. Have no intention of giving him a first nickel if/when he asks for it.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, pfife said:

I deleted the app from my phone and haven't been on there for about a week.   It was really hard doing the Lions game.

He's terrible.   

I've been perusing reddit, maybe I'll like it.

Reddit can be a cesspool too.  You can avoid some by staying in specific subreddits, but that also limits a diversity of views.  

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Only thing I have used it for is to follow the tactical reports out of Ukraine and Musk has been messing with the visibility of posters he regards as too anti-Russian, so screw him. Have no intention of giving him a first nickel if/when he asks for it.

Twitter has acknowledged that some pro-Ukraine posters may have been downgraded as they may have been lumped in with fake Ukraine pro-Russia bots that Twitter has tried to handle.  In fact i'm pretty confident that started before Musk owned the company.  Even under Musk they said they welcomed information to help them correct that.

I just did a quick search and the latest article I found mentioning this was a Gizmodo article from April in which UkraineCrisisTopic was in it's Do Not Amplify list for Twitter Spaces specifically.  Additionally, we don't know what that accounts for as it could be for the pro-Russian bots.  The article even acknowledges that Musk released the source code just prior to this article but before they could review and I don't show one article since that which one would think would have a lot more proof if Musk was doing this.

I know you folks think i'm a Musk fanboy, but there is a lot of accusations all because he isn't a fan of war.  He holds way to much power for just one person, so he deserves the scrutiny, but for a bunch of folks that demand we follow the facts when it comes to Covid, you're big on following the narrative with Musk.

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Twitter has acknowledged that some pro-Ukraine posters may have been downgraded as they may have been lumped in with fake Ukraine pro-Russia bots that Twitter has tried to handle.  In fact i'm pretty confident that started before Musk owned the company.  Even under Musk they said they welcomed information to help them correct that.

I just did a quick search and the latest article I found mentioning this was a Gizmodo article from April in which UkraineCrisisTopic was in it's Do Not Amplify list for Twitter Spaces specifically.  Additionally, we don't know what that accounts for as it could be for the pro-Russian bots.  The article even acknowledges that Musk released the source code just prior to this article but before they could review and I don't show one article since that which one would think would have a lot more proof if Musk was doing this.

I know you folks think i'm a Musk fanboy, but there is a lot of accusations all because he isn't a fan of war.  He holds way to much power for just one person, so he deserves the scrutiny, but for a bunch of folks that demand we follow the facts when it comes to Covid, you're big on following the narrative with Musk.

It's more than narrative when twitter's search engine won't find return a hit on a well respected poster like Thomas Thiener even when you include his middle initial.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's more than narrative when twitter's search engine won't find return a hit on a well respected poster like Thomas Thiener even when you include his middle initial.

Would that be Thomas C Theiner?  I initially didn't find him, but I realized I entered Thomas Rheiner..... Once I entered it correctly, Twitter tried to confuse me on if I wanted Thomas C or Thomas D.... I just hit enter, first post was about Ukraine with an option to follow him below it.

I like twitter to follow topics I am interested in and I still get useful info and entertainment from certain accounts.  For example the last two epsiodes of Ahsoka were really good and I used twitter to see what others were thinking.

It has its uses for a news feed if you curate who you follow.  I do that every few months.  Even if it's something or someone you agree with politically it can still be toxic as it just riles you up and makes you mad.  I have to get rid of those people.

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

It has its uses for a news feed if you curate who you follow.  I do that every few months.  Even if it's something or someone you agree with politically it can still be toxic as it just riles you up and makes you mad.  I have to get rid of those people.

Absolutely agree that you have to curate it.  Last week someone sent me a link of the hit and run that killed the retired police chief in Nevada.  I didn't it send it to anyone else, I didn't like the tweet.  Soon if felt like every tweet was black on white crime though.  Once I hit 'not interested in this post' it cleared up.  I don't like that my app seems to default to 'for you' versus 'following' now as well.  I likely would have never noticed this if it just stayed on 'following'.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Absolutely agree that you have to curate it.  Last week someone sent me a link of the hit and run that killed the retired police chief in Nevada.  I didn't it send it to anyone else, I didn't like the tweet.  Soon if felt like every tweet was black on white crime though.  Once I hit 'not interested in this post' it cleared up.  I don't like that my app seems to default to 'for you' versus 'following' now as well.  I likely would have never noticed this if it just stayed on 'following'.

Yeah - if you enter a topic from the outside with a google search I think you probably get more unbiased results.

55 minutes ago, MIguy said:

People have been begging for Bluesky to open up to the public for the last 6 months but they're still doing their stupid invite system for some reason.   

I just got my invite last week. My first post was about how stupid to be invite only. I know plenty of people that want to jump ship from Nazitter but the alternatives feel vacant at the moment.

That being said, I think Bluesky and Threads will thrive once the genius Elon totally destroys his platform.

His Saudi investors will be quite happy.