POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

2 hours ago, oblong said:

So the Hitler thing at Spartan Stadium on Saturday..... dumb.  Obviously.  Someone wasn't paying attention and was letting the trivia thing just go through its process.

But the reaction has been overblown.  I'm sorry but nobody felt 'unsafe'.  That was a word I heard.  Even with whats going on in the world. Let's not get stupid.  I know MSU has its issues going on and has to put on a strong face in controversy but.... come on. Our kids are stronger than we think.

They are far less concerned with our kids than they are with their own legal liability.

Intent matters.  Do you think someone was trying to be pro nazi?  From what I have read someone was doing some youtube trivia channel thing on the board and didn't screen the photos.  Was someone trying to intimidate with this?  Or be cute?  

I really don't think it harmed anyone.  It was dumb and careless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/2023/10/20/from-the-editor-gary-miles-the-ags-complaint-against-the-news/71242831007/

Leduff is involved so I suspect some will disregard, but IMO, this is the kind of political corruption, performed by both sides, which ultimately led to someone like Trump because so many people realize this is just standard operating process for so many of these folks.

You can go to Leduff's podcast if you want the full background or here but Traci Kornak is Treasurer for the Michigan Democratic Party.  The allegation is that she attempted to defraud an insurance company and tried to bribe a nursery home once they questioned it.

Nessel sets up a firewall to keep her out of the loop as they investigate.  She later asks for the file, gets it, and sends it to the solicitor general asking for process as Kornak is waiting on this to be completed so she can get a judicial appointment.   She later claims that the investigation was completed with no wrong doing found, they just hadn't officially closed it therefore the firewall rule was no longer needed.  The investigation also claims the whistleblower refused to cooperate, but he says they never got ahold of him, in fact he didn't even know they opened an investigation until Leduff reached out to him regarding it being closed.

Kornak hasn't been charged, so my guess is Dems will hope no one pays attention and then in another month or two Whitmer will appoint her to something.  Annoying.

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/2023/10/20/from-the-editor-gary-miles-the-ags-complaint-against-the-news/71242831007/

Leduff is involved so I suspect some will disregard, but IMO, this is the kind of political corruption, performed by both sides, which ultimately led to someone like Trump because so many people realize this is just standard operating process for so many of these folks.

You can go to Leduff's podcast if you want the full background or here but Traci Kornak is Treasurer for the Michigan Democratic Party.  The allegation is that she attempted to defraud an insurance company and tried to bribe a nursery home once they questioned it.

Nessel sets up a firewall to keep her out of the loop as they investigate.  She later asks for the file, gets it, and sends it to the solicitor general asking for process as Kornak is waiting on this to be completed so she can get a judicial appointment.   She later claims that the investigation was completed with no wrong doing found, they just hadn't officially closed it therefore the firewall rule was no longer needed.  The investigation also claims the whistleblower refused to cooperate, but he says they never got ahold of him, in fact he didn't even know they opened an investigation until Leduff reached out to him regarding it being closed.

Kornak hasn't been charged, so my guess is Dems will hope no one pays attention and then in another month or two Whitmer will appoint her to something.  Annoying.

Charlie has been fired by the News. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Crib Notes, please............

the accusation that the Chair of the Board of Trustees is playing all sorts of games, abusing her position and playing the race card as a weapon to silence her opponent on the Board -- who is also black.  Well, is any of that true?  It all smells.  The state of MSU management has been so crapulent that you'd be shocked that it wasn't something as bad as this level of corruption and ineptitude.

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

the accusation that the Chair of the Board of Trustees is playing all sorts of games, abusing her position and playing the race card as a weapon to silence her opponent on the Board -- who is also black.  Well, is any of that true?  It all smells.  The state of MSU management has been so crapulent that you'd be shocked that it wasn't something as bad as this level of corruption and ineptitude.

and they still don't have a President, do they? 

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

and they still don't have a President, do they? 

Who would want the job?  Reminds me of the Ann Arbor School Board. They are so terrible that after they chased off the last Superintendent this fall, the board was literally told by a search firm not to waste their time trying to do a search for a replacement because no-one competent would apply to work for them.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Who would want the job?  Reminds me of the Ann Arbor School Board. They are so terrible that after they chased off the last Superintendent this fall, the board was literally told by a search firm not to waste their time trying to do a search for a replacement because no-one competent would apply to work for them.

I'll do it.  For what it pays, I'll tolerate those nut jobs for 6 months and then at my resignation press conference, have a little wash tub and wash my hands in front of the reporters and say  "I'm good, thanks". 

They could have picked me to run K-Mart and paid me $2 million and I could have tanked it as well as Chuck Conaway, who got paid $23 million. 

Give me the Raiders or the Chargers head coaching jobs.  I'll do it for a third of what they pay those two boneheads. 

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'll do it.  For what it pays, I'll tolerate those nut jobs for 6 months and then at my resignation press conference, have a little wash tub and wash my hands in front of the reporters and say  "I'm good, thanks". 

They could have picked me to run K-Mart and paid me $2 million and I could have tanked it as well as Chuck Conaway, who got paid $23 million. 

Give me the Raiders or the Chargers head coaching jobs.  I'll do it for a third of what they pay those two boneheads. 

I keep getting emails from the University with this Woodruf's name on them thinking she's a person with leadership abilities and agency to make decision.  Then I read about Vassar being a caricature of a pettifogging, venal, megalomaniac and it now makes all those emails a joke. 

14 hours ago, oblong said:

Charlie has been fired by the News. 

For good reason as well.  I really like him and enjoy the passion he brings to his stories.  He genuinely cares for people, but he always has trouble controlling that emotion.  

All that said, his reporting here appears to standup.  I really would like to see Nessel address his article, not just put out a presser complaining about the News in which they said they couldn't even print as an opinion piece due to its explicit inaccuracies.  I want to know what 'judicial appointment' is planned for Kornak and have someone force Whitmer to address if she is planning on appointing her to a position. 

I have seen this floating around on Musk. My question is do they maybe rotate who you take questions from to not appear biased? Full disclosure this could easily just be modified photo I genuinely wonder how reporters are selected for questions. 

Crazy Muskers are claiming it proves how every thing is staged. I clipped the picture as to not suggest I support the crazies.

IMG_1803.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have seen this floating around on Musk. My question is do they maybe rotate who you take questions from to not appear biased? Full disclosure this could easily just be modified photo I genuinely wonder how reporters are selected for questions. 

Crazy Muskers are claiming it proves how every thing is staged. I clipped the picture as to not suggest I support the crazies.

IMG_1803.jpeg

See, now I look at that picture, and I think it’s kind of a “what’s that person’s name?” list. Some may be familiar faces, but if a news magazine chooses to send someone different that day, maybe be a good idea to know what their name is. Lol, I’m not sure that picture indicates an order in which they should ask, or answer, specific reporters.

I have no idea.

• Thanks 2

Jeez Louise, I think the president has better things to do with his time than memorize the names and faces of the whole white House press corps and all their alternates. If he uses a photo sheet so he can be more polite to people and call them by name instead of asking them they are, good for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Jeez Louise, I think the president has better things to do with his time than memorize the names and faces of the whole white House press corps and all their alternates. If he uses a photo sheet so he can be more polite to people and call them by name instead of asking them they are, good for him.

Agreed and I am sure that is prudent. RW media is spinning it as the questions are pre-scripted and those are the only questions to be asked. Using this picture as proof.

I can see a scenario where deals are cut to ask certain questions so POTUS is instructed to call on them at some point. But I can’t see a normal journalist agreeing if they know that’s the only questions.  

It’s fiction sure but the show did have former WH staff as writers. On the season 2 finale of the west wing Bartlett was to call on a certain reporter first in order to help calm things down initially (whether he was to run again after revealing he concealed MS). I won’t spoil it. That run of episodes is the greatest thing ever on network TV. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I can see a scenario where deals are cut to ask certain questions so POTUS is instructed to call on them at some point. But I can’t see a normal journalist agreeing if they know that’s the only questions.  

It’s fiction sure but the show did have former WH staff as writers. On the season 2 finale of the west wing Bartlett was to call on a certain reporter first in order to help calm things down initially (whether he was to run again after revealing he concealed MS). I won’t spoil it. That run of episodes is the greatest thing ever on network TV. 

Other than the unique Fox/Trump pathological parasitism, I doubt any journalist would accept asking a planted question at a press conference. The granter of the conference has all the time they want to say whatever they want to and get out any message they feel they need to get out before the 1st question so there isn't any actually need to plant a question beyond Sorkin's sense of the dramatic. 🙄

Edited by gehringer_2