POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

On 10/26/2023 at 11:27 PM, oblong said:

I can see a scenario where deals are cut to ask certain questions so POTUS is instructed to call on them at some point. But I can’t see a normal journalist agreeing if they know that’s the only questions.  

It’s fiction sure but the show did have former WH staff as writers. On the season 2 finale of the west wing Bartlett was to call on a certain reporter first in order to help calm things down initially (whether he was to run again after revealing he concealed MS). I won’t spoil it. That run of episodes is the greatest thing ever on network TV. 

Love that show! During the '20 election they ran it here all day, which was wonderful.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/11/01/flint-water-crisis-residents-say-state-failed-delivering-convictions-justice/71397342007/

The Flint saga is finally over.  End result, not a single felony conviction.  This is what performative politics gives you.  Can Nessel be charged for her recklessness so we can get something good out of this?

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Good ad, but will anyone ever see it? What media vehicle would run a political ad that lasts exactly two minutes and twenty-three seconds?

Especially in a busy political season. I think he's relying heavily on social media. Who really pays attention to ads on traditional media anymore?

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Good ad, but will anyone ever see it? What media vehicle would run a political ad that lasts exactly two minutes and twenty-three seconds?

This is Arkansas only media, correct?

Or maybe even not Arkansas, but District.

I'm sure he could get that squeezed in somewhere...

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This is Arkansas only media, correct?

Or maybe even not Arkansas, but District.

I'm sure he could get that squeezed in somewhere...

No TV or cable station has a slot exactly two minutes and twenty second long available, is my pedantic point. They budget every second in blocks of 30. 

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

No TV or cable station has a slot exactly two minutes and twenty second long available, is my pedantic point. They budget every second in blocks of 30. 

Sometimes I think the end goal isn't really a TV commercial but more of a viral video thing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Well then what are we even doing here?

Going after never Trumpers who are still inclined to regularly voting for Republicans.  The long ad is designed to get online traction not over the air/cable play.

edit..

Maybe not never Trumpers but those who are a bit fed up with current GOPers. I've seen where he mentioned his opponents vote against Wi-Fi infrastructure. That must be a key issue in his district, especially in relation to education.

Edited by CMRivdogs

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Going after never Trumpers who are still inclined to regularly voting for Republicans.  The long ad is designed to get online traction not over the air/cable play

That seems to me like a rather fine needle to thread, given were probably still talking about conservative people primarily over 50, but they must know what they’re doing.

10 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Maybe not never Trumpers but those who are a bit fed up with current GOPers. I've seen where he mentioned his opponents vote against Wi-Fi infrastructure. That must be a key issue in his district, especially in relation to education.

Subtracting the Never Trumpers and the committed red hats, I'm honestly not sure who that leaves in numbers great enough to swing elections. But, to your point, there may be a unique driver of votes in that particular district for which this might be effective,

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Well then what are we even doing here?

Independents who might vote one way or the other.

They're the key.

Dems gonna Dem.

Maga's going to MAGA.

Never-Trumpers are still an unknown at this point: whether they've had enough or are still willing to vote Party, regardless.

MAYBE suburban conservative moms who MAY be fed up with Republican policy...

That leaves Independents as the key voters to go after.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Independents who might vote one way or the other.

They're the key.

Dems gonna Dem.

Maga's going to MAGA.

Never-Trumpers are still an unknown at this point: whether they've had enough or are still willing to vote Party, regardless.

MAYBE suburban conservative moms who MAY be fed up with Republican policy...

That leaves Independents as the key voters to go after.

I'm just wondering whether these superannuated NTs are going to even see this spot online while they're parked in front of their local CBS affiliate watching crime procedurals.

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Subtracting the Never Trumpers and the committed red hats, I'm honestly not sure who that leaves in numbers great enough to swing elections. But, to your point, there may be a unique driver of votes in that particular district for which this might be effective,

These are just wildly approximate numbers, but:

Dems = 44%

MAGA Republicans = 25%

Establishment/ Never-Trumpers = 16% (but may vote Republican ANYWAYS)

Independents = 15% (These are the swing-voters).

UNLESS Establishment/ Never-Trumpers become more committed to NOT Voting Republican because of the fascist danger they (but more specifically: Trump. But they are still enablers of Trump and therefore are just as dangerous to the Constitution of the United States...) pose.

Edited by 1984Echoes

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

These are just wildly approximate numbers, but:

Dems = 44%

MAGA Republicans = 25%

Establishment/ Never-Trumpers = 16% (but may vote Republican ANYWAYS)

Independents = 15% (These are the swing-voters).

UNLESS Establishment/ Never-Trumpers become more committed to NOT Voting Republican because of the fascist danger they (but more specifically: Trump. But they are still enablers of Trump and therefore are just as dangerous to the Constitution of the United States...) pose.

PS: Also, these are just "National" guesses... I don't know what his particular Arkansas District would break down to...

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I'm just wondering whether these superannuated NTs are going to even see this spot online while they're parked in front of their local CBS affiliate watching crime procedurals.

If it shows up on Aunt Tara's Facebook or Instagram accounts between the apple fritter recipes there's a chance