POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

Interesting to see a story in the NYT today about Fetterman deciding he's no longer a 'progressive' and he's OK with taking flak from the left - mostly about Israel but also immigration. 

The Dems do need to jettison the progressive approach on immigration and make a deal on the border - the current stance  hurts them a lot with voters. There are very few voters anywhere happy with a chaotic situation at the border, and there is a broad public understanding that asylum rules passed with the intent of protecting political refugees are now being routinely abused by economic advantage seekers. You can have sympathy for economic advantage seekers and still understand that the law as it exists requires a process and limits and the practical outcome of letting people into the country as political refugees when they are not is an abuse of the law. The US political consensus has not produced legal sanction to an open border and regardless of one's sympathies, it is true that for the left to try to force the border open by normalizing abuse of asylum claims is just as much an end around of the democratic process as anything the right does and it ticks off large numbers of voters in the same way.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ottawa County makes the front page of WaPo.

Can the exhausted, angry people of Ottawa County learn to live together?
Adeline Hambley’s employees at a county health department in Michigan saw her as their protection from political interference by conservative Christians on the county board. Then the board offered her $4 million to quit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/12/23/ottawa-county-commissioners-michigan-department-health/

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I read the story, and I don’t see how it could possibly be worth it to these right wing morons to pay her $4 million to leave the job. I assume they behave some plan to make that all back many-fold with her out of the way, but how?

Edited by chasfh

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Attorney General in Texas, who should be in jail,  is asking a hospital in Seattle for medical records.     Does that mean HIPPA laws are out in Texas?  

He's a member of the party who wants government to stay out of our lives.   

What’s he going to do, sue the hospital out of existence for accepting patients? Imprison trans kids for getting medical care in Washington? Imprison their parents and grandparents and the next three generations of family too? What the actual **** is this fascist bull****?

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I read the story, and I don’t see how it could possibly be worth it to these right wing morons to [ay her $4 million to leave the job. I assume they behave some plan to make that all back many-fold with her out of the way, but how?

You can't put a price on doing God's work.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

You can't put a price on doing God's work.

Meaning there’s no revenue angle and they’ll take a loss at the taxpayers’ expense just to make her go away? That makes no sense, and I doubt they did this just to make no sense. There’s money in this for them somewhere.

Missed an anniversary this past week

Borrowed and rewritten from another site

240 years ago today was one of the most important days in American history.

General George Washington had just led the Continental Army to victory in the American Revolutuonary War. He was beloved by both his troops and the people.

Throughout human history, military leaders in Washington’s position have taken advantage of their popularity to make themselves a dictator or a king.

But not George Washington.

On December 23, 1783, the great commander-in-chief who had the country in the palm of his hand resigned his military commission—giving power back to the fledgling civilian government.

George Washington believed in the ideals of the new nation—a military subservient to civilian leadership. He saw that moment as an opportunity to show the people that a republican form of government could work.

When he heard the news of Washington’s resignation, King George III of England was purported to have said, “If he does that, he will be the greatest man in the world.”

Of all the great things George Washington did in his life, this simple act was probably the greatest. A lesser man would have strangled the young republic in its infancy and consolidated power to himself. Instead, the good general humbled himself and gained even more respect and admiration from his people.

Instead of reading speeches of a failed dictator maybe the former President should have concentrated on the successful Father of his country

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.newsnationnow.com/world/gen-z-positive-view-osama-bin-laden/?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

Poll: 20% of Gen Z holds ‘positive view’ of Osama bin Laden 

• Osama bin Laden masterminded the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks
  • 30% of Gen Z say bin Laden’s anti-American views were ‘force of good’
  • Positive views may stem from letter written recirculating on TikTok

I apologize if this was posted and I missed it.  I heard about this last week but just saw this article.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:36 PM, ewsieg said:

https://www.newsnationnow.com/world/gen-z-positive-view-osama-bin-laden/?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

I apologize if this was posted and I missed it.  I heard about this last week but just saw this article.

Where’s the poll? All NewsNation links to is the DailyMail.com, which, they might as well link directly to youngs-fearing Newsmax. And even there, there is no link to any poll itself, only an infographic with purported results. I’m asking because I want to know who these people are. I’ve got a sawbuck that says there’s no way this was a rigorously-conducted survey.

Not only is there zero link to the internals on that Heartland “poll”, the only links they do provide on that story at their website is to coverage of their purported results by right-wing media firebreathers.

Of course, their target audience for the story not only doesn’t care about things like internals, they would almost certainly lambast anyone who mentions it as fascists and commies.

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

Not only is there zero link to the internals on that Heartland “poll”, the only links they do provide on that story at their website is to coverage of their purported results by right-wing media firebreathers.

Of course, their target audience for the story not only doesn’t care about things like internals, they would almost certainly lambast anyone who mentions it as fascists and commies.

How can you doubt heartland?  They have also rejected climate change and the harmful effects of second hand smoke.  

I'm not going to pretend to know how rigorous this poll was, from the dailymail article:

J.L. Partners polled 1000 people for DailyMail.com to get a snapshot of American attitudes to Israel, Hamas and the unfolding conflict.

I quick google search of that and I see they have done polling work for Theresa May so i'm guessing you won't give it any credence.  Even if the numbers are off, my concern and the reason I posted it was the fact that more younger Americans are getting their news from Tik Tok.

I think that the sentiment is in that ballpark. 9/11 to now is like the Iranian Hostage crisis was in 2011. Younger people would be more familiar with the aftermath of the invasion and response to 9/11, all 20 years of it, than the event itself.  And for people like my son who is 23 9/11 has always been there.  In that situation you can’t fullly appreciate the shock of it.  

I will claim right now to have done more reading on the JFK assassination than anyone here but even I cannot grasp at the impact of it because to me he was always the guy who got shot. That was the first thing I learned about him.  I didn’t know him as the candidate and living and breathing leader giving press conferences who suddenly was gone.  

the shock of the US being attacked on our soil go that degree is not there for people who lived in a world where that event always existed. 

9 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I'm not going to pretend to know how rigorous this poll was, from the dailymail article:

I quick google search of that and I see they have done polling work for Theresa May so i'm guessing you won't give it any credence.  Even if the numbers are off, my concern and the reason I posted it was the fact that more younger Americans are getting their news from Tik Tok.

Yes, but there’s no link to the internals, which reputable poll companies make available, so you are supposed to take Heartland’s word for all of it. Do you?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Yes, but there’s no link to the internals, which reputable poll companies make available, so you are supposed to take Heartland’s word for all of it. Do you?

I don't always dig for the full source on an article/poll unless there is a dispute about it.  As for Heartland, I'm still not sure what that is unless they are a part of this JL Partners polling group.  

Again, my point and I apologize I used an article that provided a poll, but my point was many younger kids are getting their information through influencers, not journalists.  The Bin Laden letters, and their propagation on TikTok, was reported by many reputable news sources and that's where my head was when I posted this which reminded me of that.  Rather how much that truly affected the views of users, I won't argue this poll shows that.  Still, seems like a concern.

I don't think young people are going elsewhere because people bashed the media before those young people were born or aware of what they were doing.  They are going elsewhere for the same reason they ditched cable, quit going to movies, and listening to FM radio. 

It's easier, quicker, and they control what they see or hear.