POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

5 hours ago, buddha said:

chances are he looked like a semitic jewish person considering by all reports he was, in fact, a jew.

jews from that part of the globe come in all hues.  the bottom line is that we will never know what skin color jesus was.

True, though a lot of the ‘hues’ in the ME today came from the Roman era but even more so from the crusades. In my ME family the joke goes back generations that that the blue eyed among us were “Crusader Babies”. The odds are good that the ME was more ethnically homogenous in 6 BC than it is even today. 

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

True, though a lot of the ‘hues’ in the ME today came from the Roman era but even more so from the crusades. In my ME family the joke goes back generations that that the blue eyed among us were “Crusader Babies”. The odds are good that the ME was more ethnically homogenous in 6 BC than it is even today. 

well right, which is why people saying jesus was "brown" or "white" has nothing to do with jesus and everything to do with today's politics.

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

image.thumb.png.948bfc313d238e25eee3c625003ec7bb.png

But my buddy has a bar ...

The area where the alleged bar at is in an area where crime rose significantly according to that map. It looks to me like most of Chicago is seeing an increase of crime. This is like my old neighborhood in Detroit. Every neighborhood around was going downhill but it won't happen in our neighborhood...

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I'm old enough to remember being asked "and have you seen what's going on in lincoln park and lakeview?"

But you mentioned the bar in the post. I'm not the most familiar with Chicago but given the intersection mentioned where the bar is, that would put it in a neighborhood where the crime increased significantly. It's good to know a couple gentrified neighborhoods in Chicago are doing ok. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Has Chicago tried defunding the police? Judging by the sharp decline in officers, I'm going to say yes. 

look, it was just a drive by shooting outside a bar.  i think every bar has had one of those, it doesnt make it dangerous...

it was just a police warning because of 20 armed robberies in the neighborhood.  what neighborhood hasnt had that happen?  i mean sheesh, i get robbed every day.  suck it up, bucktown!

800 murders.  it could happen anywhere!

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The area where the alleged bar at is in an area where crime rose significantly according to that map. It looks to me like most of Chicago is seeing an increase of crime. This is like my old neighborhood in Detroit. Every neighborhood around was going downhill but it won't happen in our neighborhood...

From the article:

Between the lines: Bucktown and neighboring Logan Square actually saw a decrease in violent crime.

• But that hasn't stopped the Bucktown neighborhood association from bringing in armed private security.

https://www.axios.com/local/chicago/2021/12/20/chicago-violent-crime-gun-violence-statistics-2021

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

From the article:

Between the lines: Bucktown and neighboring Logan Square actually saw a decrease in violent crime.

• But that hasn't stopped the Bucktown neighborhood association from bringing in armed private security.

https://www.axios.com/local/chicago/2021/12/20/chicago-violent-crime-gun-violence-statistics-2021

I'm no Chicago expert, so I'll let Buddha chime in, but my mapping skills show me the intersection of Milwaukee/Damen/North is not in Bucktown and is in a neighborhood per your map that has saw a dramatic increase in crime. 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

but my buddy owns a bar, and i have anecdotes

Violent crime in Chicago is up 7.5% but one neighborhood saw a decrease and my wife walks alone so anecdotes. 

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm no Chicago expert, so I'll let Buddha chime in, but my mapping skills show me the intersection of Milwaukee/Damen/North is not in Bucktown and is in a neighborhood per your map that has saw a dramatic increase in crime.

The Bucktown neighborhood the association wants the unvetted and unaccountable group to come and patrol is literally one block north of that intersection.

And how dare you capitalize buddha's name, you fascist.

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Violent crime in Chicago is up 7.5% but one neighborhood saw a decrease and my wife walks alone so anecdotes. 

Well, good thing you don't live in Chicago,then!

Edited by chasfh

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Bucktown neighborhood the association wants the unvetted and unaccountable group to come and patrol is literally one block north of that intersection.

And how dare you capitalize buddha's name, you fascist.

Well, good thing you don't live in Chicago,then!

Right so I would be concerned if the level of crime is surging only a block away. Maybe they want to head off the crime before it becomes a problem? I remember when we were this naive when the neighborhoods surrounding my Detroit neighborhood were declining.

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

but my buddy owns a bar, and i have anecdotes

as opposed to anecdotes about fascist neighborhood watch people?  lol.  

anyway, you posted your fascist fantasy about what was going on in bucktown and since i actually know someone involved in the decision and why that decision was made, i posted about it.

its funny that you dont seem to believe me, or even to make light of it, like a drive by shooting in a busy nightlife district is no big deal.  or multiple car jackings caught in film.  the last one was right in front of coast at around 10 pm.  no biggee.

10 hours ago, buddha said:

at least mb respects me!

I don’t know where this comes from, but of course I respect you. I thought we were breaking balls and having fun. But, OK, note taken.

At no point did I say I don’t believe your anecdotes. In a big city with a lot of people densely packed in, individual violent incidents can occur even in safe neighborhoods where violent crime has dropped. But even if it’s the safest neighborhood in the city, if police still wanted to beef up their patrols there, I have no beef with that, because that’s the city’s prerogative. We pay them with our tax dollars and they are accountable to all of us. I simply don’t believe an unvetted private armed force should be hired by individuals who are unaccountable to the taxpayers and who make themselves unavailable to explain the details. I think that’s dangerous. YMMV. 

Since Detroit is past the point of no return and unsalvageable, I find what's going on in Chicago fascinating. Don't most people who support police reform want more community based policing? Isn't this part of defunding the police? Using the community to help police themselves? Chicago already has over 800 murders, how many were committed by armed vigilantes? Is that more dangerous than what's already going on?