POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

On 6/12/2024 at 3:40 PM, oblong said:

I will see your banning women pastors and raise you a banning IVF.  These people have lost their minds. 

I'll see your IVF and raise you this completely bonkers idea:

• Like 1

Since this is bound to turn political I'll just post it here. There are actually parents willing to pay Chick Fil A to put their kids to work.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/chick-fil-s-35-kids-summer-camp-sparks-controversy-rcna157001?utm_campaign=mb&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=morning_brew

I thought summer camp was supposed to be fun (not that it really was)

What are the kids actually doing during this so-called camp? They can’t actually be prepping food and taking orders, can they? Even if their parents ask CFA to make them do it, I can’t imagine there would not be liability issues if something goes upside-down.

Edited by chasfh

No they are not.  I think this is an over reaction.  I don't see it as much differen than having your birthday party at McDonald's.  Kids get attached to brands.  You ever work at a fast food place back when they made us wear hats?  Ever put a had on a 7 year old kid and see their face light up?  "I work at KFC now!!!!"   The kids aren't cooking food or taking orders.  

Representatives for the brand did say, however, that campers are not doing the work of team members as part of this program, adding that Chick-fil-A employees serving as counselors will not engage in their usual tasks during camp and will instead do activities with campers.

This is not the first time the chain has hosted a summer camp. A Houston-area Chick-fil-A started its still-running experience six years ago with activities like bingo and trivia.

Bob Good, House Freedom Caucus Chair and total MAGA nutjob conservative, but he once supported DeSantis, and now appears to have lost his primary in VA. Trump endorsed his opponent who is up less than 400 votes.

Scary to think what the GQP now is.

We started to get it as a holiday this year, along with the option of using it with 2 others as 'floating holidays'.  I was originally not going to do that because I didn't want to appear racist but then one of my bosses, who is black, said he's switching it with July 5, a Friday, I felt better about it.

4 hours ago, oblong said:

We started to get it as a holiday this year, along with the option of using it with 2 others as 'floating holidays'.  I was originally not going to do that because I didn't want to appear racist but then one of my bosses, who is black, said he's switching it with July 5, a Friday, I felt better about it.

My company was beyond weird about this one. “Spend the day contemplating the reasons for it”

That could mean a lot of things.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

it's the voters reluctance to identify themselves as more sympathetic to one party or the other and then to vote in primaries. More than 50% of the American electorate has this idea that there is some kind of virtue in being a 'free agent' and not aligning with a party and just showing up for general elections. When enough people do that, the field is indeed left to the wackos. Maybe one answer is what California is doing with non-party primaries. That basically makes every candidate a free agent needing to appeal to everyone. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the details of how its working or what the downsides are but it does potentially address the problem of people getting to general elections with very narrow support.

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

it's the voters reluctance to identify themselves as more sympathetic to one party or the other and then to vote in primaries. More than 50% of the American electorate has this idea that there is some kind of virtue in being a 'free agent' and not aligning with a party and just showing up for general elections. When enough people do that, the field is indeed left to the wackos. Maybe one answer is what California is doing with non-party primaries. That basically makes every candidate a free agent needing to appeal to everyone. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the details of how its working or what the downsides are but it does potentially address the problem of people getting to general elections with very narrow support.

Or going ranked choice, similar to Alaska and a couple other states. 
There have been elections every year since we moved in 2020. Between presidential and congressional races (plus primaries) to statewide races in the off years. 
The average citizen is getting tired of the constant campaigning and seeing nothing being accomplished for their effort. That seems to be the perception anyway. 

9 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

The average citizen is getting tired of the constant campaigning and seeing nothing being accomplished for their effort. That seems to be the perception anyway. 

Biden has accomplished more than any Dem president since LBJ - and no one effing cares.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Great point on the nationalization of issues due to the collapse of local media. I hadn’t contemplated that before, but it makes total sense.

And that provides them a nifty license to steal, too, because they are not running or being elected on any state-level issue, so they don’t have to address them as state elected officials. All their constituency requires is that the elected officials publicly breathe fire on nationalized cultural issues, which will make everyone’s endorphins rush, while the politicians fix public policy and raid the state treasuries to directly feather their own nests, which their constituency will ignore because policy stuff makes their eyes glaze over.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Great point on the nationalization of issues due to the collapse of local media. I hadn’t contemplated that before, but it makes total sense.

And that provides them a nifty license to steal, too, because they are not running or being elected on any state-level issue, so they don’t have to address them as state elected officials. All their constituency requires is that the elected officials publicly breathe fire on nationalized cultural issues, which will make everyone’s endorphins rush, while the politicians fix public policy and raid the state treasuries to directly feather their own nests, which their constituency will ignore because policy stuff makes their eyes glaze over.

Yeah, that resonated with me after city council elections last year where I was getting mailers about illegal immigration and border patrol.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Even when you have local media these days, views are still colored through the nationalization of media.

If you're a sicko like me and read the comments under news articles from local radio / news outlets on Facebook, for instance, it's hard not to notice people bringing in national political figures into discussions about the tax rate being adjusted for the local High School District or otherwise benign local issues. As if Joe Biden or Donald Trump or whoever have any relevance to local property tax rates lol

Edited by mtutiger

24 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Even when you have local media these days, views are still colored through the nationalization of media.

If you're a sicko like me and read the comments under news articles from local radio / news outlets on Facebook, for instance, it's hard not to notice people bringing in national political figures into discussions about the tax rate being adjusted for the local High School District or otherwise benign local issues. As if Joe Biden or Donald Trump or whoever have any relevance to local property tax rates lol

Sheesh... a local store closes because the owners are in the early 70s and want to retire and people say "Another failure by WHIT-LESS and BIDEN".  Or a business advertises that they have  open positions and everybody says "BIDEN paying people to STAY HOME and NOBODY WANTS TO WORK"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boeing man... when is it time for the intervention?  Maybe GM and Microsoft can organize some of their friends and loved ones, arrange a limo to be waiting downstairs, have some of their peer corporations on video chat and have them say: 

• 1. “I love you.” This statement isn’t limited in how many times you should use it. The act of an intervention should begin and end with love. ...
  • 2. “I forgive you.” ...
  • 3. “I’m here for you.” ...
  • 4. “I’m concerned about how your substance use has affected both you and the people around you.” ...
  • 5. “I believe treatment is a strong first step for you.”

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Boeing man... when is it time for the intervention?  Maybe GM and Microsoft can organize some of their friends and loved ones, arrange a limo to be waiting downstairs, have some of their peer corporations on video chat and have them say: 

• 1. “I love you.” This statement isn’t limited in how many times you should use it. The act of an intervention should begin and end with love. ...
  • 2. “I forgive you.” ...
  • 3. “I’m here for you.” ...
  • 4. “I’m concerned about how your substance use has affected both you and the people around you.” ...
  • 5. “I believe treatment is a strong first step for you.”

There is something completely wrong with corporate governance systems and law in the US when the executives of a failed company can manage to leverage themselves into control of a functioning company that buys them out. 

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There is something completely wrong with corporate governance systems and law in the US when the executives of a failed company can manage to leverage themselves into control of a functioning company that buys them out. 

You can expect more of the same if the Trumpnistas take over again