POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

My new district could be a toss up but my estimation is it will lean Republican. Here's a link to the proposed maps:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/12/28/michigan-redistricting-panel-maps-vote-congress-state-house-senate/9028496002/

Thanks! Are you in the Warren/Clinton Twp/north of M-59 one (11)? That one would likely lead Republican. I’m in Royal Oak/Ferndale/Birmingham/Detroit that I would think leans Democrat for sure. 

8 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Thanks! Are you in the Warren/Clinton Twp/north of M-59 one (11)? That one would likely lead Republican. I’m in Royal Oak/Ferndale/Birmingham/Detroit that I would think leans Democrat for sure. 

Mine is the Warren one that extends over to Rochester Hills. My current congressman is Andy Levin but I don't know about this new district. It's a close one but I think it would lean Republican. 

Wonder if Dingell will get squeezed out.  Where I live we had John until 2002. Then Conyers.  In 2012 back to John again.  I’m in the souther end of 12 but Debbie’s current area goes south down to Trenton and Wyandotte.  She had an office in Dearborn but moved it to Wyandotte after a break in. Also had one in Trenton.  Looks like that area is 6 now. She might be one that is squeezed out.  I might but stuck with Tliab. 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Wonder if Dingell will get squeezed out.  Where I live we had John until 2002. Then Conyers.  In 2012 back to John again.  I’m in the souther end of 12 but Debbie’s current area goes south down to Trenton and Wyandotte.  She had an office in Dearborn but moved it to Wyandotte after a break in. Also had one in Trenton.  Looks like that area is 6 now. She might be one that is squeezed out.  I might but stuck with Tliab. 

Yeah, Dingells old district was a terrible gerrymander, but if wash co is most of a new district she can win it. 

I feel fortunate to have been represented by someone who knew my name. I met her a few times before she got elected after John retiree. Rotary type events. A good friend was on city council and introduced us at one.  We served beer together.   When I saw her again she remembered my name. Even in my GOP days I gladly voted for John. Was very upset to walk into my booth in 2002 and see Conyers name listed. John did have an A+ rating from the NRA before they went batshit crazy. 

The Haley Stevens/Andy Levin primary will be a fun one to watch. My early prediction is Andy wins that seat. Haley is going to have to move to the left on issues where Andy already is. Furthermore, the Levin name in that area of Oakland County still means something. Andy will have big support from organized labor having been a former labor organizer himself. That will be another advantage there.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

13 hours ago, oblong said:

Does Tlaib do anything for her district, or is her sole goal to pursue a national profile? Honest question, I don’t know.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Does Tlaib do anything for her district, or is her sole goal to pursue a national profile? Honest question, I don’t know.

I would say she is more of an activist vs an actual legislator. Her district has one of the highest crime rates in the country and she wanted to disband all police and release all prisoners and that's not exaggerating. 

I don’t live there anymore but I’m not a big fan of Ms Stevens. She and her staff was unresponsive to approaches from the company my wife works for. Other reps in the area at least answered calls and took meetings. 

Meanwhile, I see Slotkin is moving to Lansing and has announced she’s running in the new 7th. I hope she is successful, I like her a lot.

On 12/28/2021 at 11:45 PM, oblong said:

I feel fortunate to have been represented by someone who knew my name. I met her a few times before she got elected after John retiree. Rotary type events. A good friend was on city council and introduced us at one.  We served beer together.   When I saw her again she remembered my name. Even in my GOP days I gladly voted for John. Was very upset to walk into my booth in 2002 and see Conyers name listed. John did have an A+ rating from the NRA before they went batshit crazy. 

I suspect you've already read it but Dingells book is so good

• Like 1

MGT is an idiot, but I often wonder what would happen if the United States amicably split into two countries.  I think it's unnecessary and I am not promoting it, but I still think about it.   Obviously, it would be chaotic and damaging short-term, but I wonder what would happen long-term?  How would they be divided and how would it work out economically, culturally, etc. ?  I want to hear what people smarter than me think.  

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

MGT is an idiot, but I often wonder what would happen if the United States amicably split into two countries.  I think it's unnecessary and I am not promoting it, but I still think about it.   Obviously, it would be chaotic and damaging short-term, but I wonder what would happen long-term?  How would they be divided and how would it work out economically, culturally, etc. ?  I want to hear what people smarter than me think.  

it would probably have to be three -  the three pacific coast states would end up separated from the rest of the blue states. There was a story in WaPo listing some of the logistical issues. One thing is certain, a nation composed of the MountainWest and old South would quickly fail economically - it's transfer $$ from the other states that keep all but FLA and Tex alive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/12/31/secession-civil-war-stephen-marche/

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Not smarter than you, but I think if there was a split it would end up as several smaller nations not two. You would still have the current problems of dissent within each territory. 

This is exactly what the delegates feared when they gathered to draft a constitution. Then it was only the fear of 13 individual nations being taken over by the likes of England, France, and Spain with lots of territory still occupied by native tribes.