POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

In honor of Memorial Day for the rest of civilized society here who respect the sacrifice of our troops, even if we don't always agree with the decisions that lead us into war. Thank you to anyone here that served and all those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. You're never a sucker or loser in my book.

That sum's it up I think 

Representative Jackie — are you here? Where’s Jackie?” the president asked from the podium, peering futilely about the room. “I think she was going to be here,” he added.

Biden had released a lengthy statement mourning Walorski when she died in a horrific car crash.

The likelihood there’s going to be the Taliban overrunning everything and owning the whole country is highly unlikely,” Biden told reporters — one month before the insurgent group seized control.

2 hours ago, pfife said:

Taliban?   Trump invited them to camp David on 911, negotiated to free 5000 of the in Afghanistan, and negotiated an agreement to leave them in power.    Trumpers sure are some historical revisionists.

That, and...

Our Intelligence Reports are the responsibility of our Intelligence Agencies, not Biden. He can only rely on them, and report them to America based on info received from them.

Apparently...

He received bad intelligence...

Edited by 1984Echoes

16 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That, and...

Our Intelligence Reports are the responsibility of our Intelligence Agencies, not Biden. He can only rely on them, and report them to America based on info received from them.

Apparently...

He received bad intelligence...

I'm a huge supporter of his national security team but...tbf, his team made a first year mistake like a lot of teams make first year mistakes.  

I agree with Bill Kristol here, Biden should tell the former football coach as long as he holds up promotion of senior military officers the bases in his state will not even get a sniff of mess hall upgrades...That's called old fashion political hardball. 

On 5/24/2023 at 9:21 PM, romad1 said:

I'm a huge supporter of his national security team but...tbf, his team made a first year mistake like a lot of teams make first year mistakes.  

Which resulted in thousands of men women and children being slaughtered and was basically brushed under the carpet.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:39 AM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Which resulted in thousands of men women and children being slaughtered and was basically brushed under the carpet.

So not a good outcome:  Cambodia in the Hindu Kush.

Otoh, we reorganized to face threats to Democracy on better ground in Taiwan and Ukraine with more stable partners.  

The GWOT gives way to the global war of democracy which if you grew up in Livonia in the 70’s and 80’s is a terrible acronym.  

Edited by romad1

33 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm not sure if it's fair to say it's a result, it was something that happened after the evacuation.   The evacuation wasn't the cause, the cause was the taliban murdered them.

Correct. We can't save everyone in the world from the bad people they live with. The problem is that by the actions of 20 yrs we were the ones that put them in peril in the first place which does generate a higher level of responsibility, but even given that,  the US does in the end have to extricate itself from policies that were a mistake in the first place and can't be fixed and if there were ever any easy way to do that in a place it means the policy probably wasn't a mistake and the need would never have arisien. The responsibility for the exit failures in Afghanistan may be Biden's but also to just as great an extent, Bush's, Obama's and Trump's. Biden may have been the one write to the check, but he was fundamentally paying off the bill run up by others.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would like to commend the local Republican Party for supplying flags for the end of our driveways even though I still believe it was an empty gesture.

That has been the only thing of substance they've done in the last two years. We the people deserve more.

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

I would like to commend the local Republican Party for supplying flags for the end of our driveways even though I still believe it was an empty gesture.

That has been the only thing of substance they've done in the last two years. We the people deserve more.

This is in suburban Virginia, right? How does this work? Do they just come around and stick flags at the end of your driveway without asking? Do they deliver flags to you with a clear expectation that you will display them? What if you decide not to? Is there any fallout for you if you don’t? 

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

This is in suburban Virginia, right? How does this work? Do they just come around and stick flags at the end of your driveway without asking? Do they deliver flags to you with a clear expectation that you will display them? What if you decide not to? Is there any fallout for you if you don’t? 

CMRivdogs is in the Tidewater area which is much more veteran-oriented than Northern Virginia.   Our local GOP is too busy scouring the local girl's HS locker rooms for trans athletes.

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

We were out of town Friday and most of Saturday. Came home and the small flag was at the end of the driveway, small not saying it was from our state senator and other republicans in the region...several of them candidates. 

I'll keep it there, no big deal, I probably prefer an insurance company or real estate agent. I'd feel the same way if it was the Democrats. This is a holiday that remembers those who were killed in service, I'm not crazy about the commercialization. 

And to Romad1's post, yes this a very big military area. Nearby is the Navy Weapons Station, Fort Eustis and Langley. Not to mention Camp Peary, otherwise known as The Farm

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

We were out of town Friday and most of Saturday. Came home and the small flag was at the end of the driveway, small not saying it was from our state senator and other republicans in the region...several of them candidates. 

I'll keep it there, no big deal, I probably prefer an insurance company or real estate agent. I'd feel the same way if it was the Democrats. This is a holiday that remembers those who were killed in service, I'm not crazy about the commercialization. 

And to Romad1's post, yes this a very big military area. Nearby is the Navy Weapons Station, Fort Eustis and Langley. Not to mention Camp Peary, otherwise known as The Farm

Seems kind of presumptuous of them to put something on your lawn without your explicit permission, but maybe that's just the way things are there. Was just wondering is all.

50 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Seems kind of presumptuous of them to put something on your lawn without your explicit permission, but maybe that's just the way things are there. Was just wondering is all.

It's a townhouse community, the placement is between the sidewalk and road. I really don't consider it a big deal other that the fact it was done in several subdivisions in the area.

On 5/28/2023 at 8:02 AM, CMRivdogs said:

We are now starting day three of post Remembrance Day observance. A weekend where we bbq cows and pigs in remembrance of those who gave their lives allowing us to have a big celebration and attend sales at big box hardware stores. (  The Bible has a verse somewhere about rejoicing a death).

The flags are still out because patriotic Americans are too lazy to walk the 50 or so feet to the end of their driveway and pick them up and store them in their overcrowded garages. It has also rained the past several days, I seem to remember something about flag etiquette during my Boy Scout days long ago and far away, something about flags and inclement weather (The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all weather flag is displayed.)

Yet we have a our tidy whiteys in a knot over gay and trans people having fun...

Edited by CMRivdogs

I don’t see much of the Detroit/Michigan press theses days outside of a daily Axios briefing. Just wondering how much blowback there is up there from Liz Cheney’s or Mark Cuban’s appearances at the Detroit Chamber’s Mackinac Conference. 

Outside of the usual regional pols, the outside speakers tend to run more in the direction of business friendly Republicans. Liz and Mark don’t seem to fit the current mold. I heard Cuban dropped a few F-Bombs (and the old hotel is still standing)