POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

https://autos.yahoo.com/automakers-sold-drivers-data-shockingly-130000463.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJjiovszmVlG9aX3IM-Sow0Vh9fhmNs_7tyicSM8bsqndzprJd42CdKEljUlBpt_aQd9f2gWVk53dwBx9l_oM1gzF7pFOGpN5hrB0ujTR_7iMeu4X-Xx-a38k8qqLop0sD3b_oyslJS6J0M29c6nogQzM_SmF0AlR_LvAGf7H_Pw

Automakers Sold Drivers' Data for a Shockingly Low Amount of Money

If you drive a car that's capable of connecting to the internet, the manufacturer may be collecting and selling data based on your driving habits to third-party data brokers. A report by the New York Times back in March detailed the practice, and now a letter by U.S. senators Ron Wyden and Edward J. Markey to the Federal Trade Commission explains how little manufacturers actually made.

In the letter, Wyden and Markey chose to focus on three automakers: GM, Honda, and Hyundai because all three sold data to the data broker Verisk. In turn, Verisk sold the data to auto insurers, helping them to assign risk scores. According to the letter, one of the company's products, which it shut down following the NYT report, rated drivers driving habits with data collected from internet-connected cars.

More at link

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Mighty white of him to say so.

what rock has he been under that he's never seen Musk?  :classic_laugh: Not to mention all his favorite Democratic demons have children -- Kennedy, Johnson, Clinton(x2), Obama, Biden.

Edited by gehringer_2

“I’m not saying black people are bad… just that if something bad happens it’s probably done by a black person”. 

and I’m sure Charlie thinks that and has said that in private conversations.  He’s a little dip****.  

54 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Wait.

What?

Is that "wait what" for my comment? If so, my intention was to make a sly reference to the specifically white nature of their creepy-ass nationalism.

If the "wait what" is for his noxious commentary, then never mind. 😁

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is that "wait what" for my comment? If so, my intention was to make a sly reference to the specifically white nature of their creepy-ass nationalism.

If the "wait what" is for his noxious commentary, then never mind. 😁

lol. It was for the noxious commentary.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I really love this focus on the GOP to go after childless folk. I hope they keep doing it every election cycle. 

The proportion of adults in the United States younger than 50 years old who do not have children is growing — leaping from 37% in 2018 to 47% in 2023, according to a new Pew Research Center survey published Thursday.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/26/health/childless-adults-pew-research-wellness/index.html

Also: https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2024/07/25/the-experiences-of-u-s-adults-who-dont-have-children/

In all honesty, I get that having children changes one's perspective, and maybe can concede that physically giving birth can change perspective in a different way. 

What I can't agree with is that this is the *only* perspective that is valid. 

But how are we going to rescue Western Civilization unless we either shame or force wenches into making babies to make up our future labor force once we definitely shut down all immigration?

• Like 1

I've been listening to the ten-part podcast "What Happened in Alabama?". The host's father grew up in Jim Crow Alabama before moving with the family to Minnesota when he was 12. The host was born there and grew up as one of the few black people in his St. Paul suburb. A common theme of the pod is how the host's father regularly beat him and his sister as children to within an inch of their lives. The working hypothesis is that the father did so because, as with so many black parents, beating the children was a way to teach them that they had to grow up fast and learn how to navigate a white world super carefully so they don't end up getting killed by racial violence. The pod also ties the beating of children back to slavery days, where violent punishments established itself as something that got passed down through generations through the descendants of both enslaved persons and slaveholders.

I just got to episode seven and the pod threw a bit of a curve ball: rather than discussing yet another aspect of Jim Crow directly, they veered off into the topic of corporal punishment of children. The host had experienced regular beatings, and as an adult thought things through and determined that even though he had thought it was a normal and even beneficial way to grow up, he was now questioning the efficacy of the entire idea, and he brought on a doctor who'd studied the effects of corporal punishment on children, and how the nervous system is altered by it. He also brought on an African American Studies professor to discuss how corporal punishment extends beyond the home into schools.

There were several really good points I had not contemplated very deeply before. One that had crossed my mind was that constant beatings—and, as importantly, the constant threat of beatings that could come at any moment for any or no reason—likely rewire the brain in unhealthy ways that manifests in the children growing up and behaving that way toward their own children. It's a form of traumatic stress disorder. I also knew that there are certain states, most of them concentrated in the old slave south, still allow corporal punishment in schools.

But the one idea that had never crossed my mind was how we allow punitive behavior against children that would be considered cruel and unusual punishment under the Eighth Amendment were they to be practiced on adults. At one time the flogging of adults as judicial corporal punishment in the US was common, particularly used against enslaved people and, later, black people during the Jim Crow era. As such, it's a holdover punishment from slavery times that still resonates strongly with a large portion of the United States. But while there is no longer any judicial corporal punishment of adults, people still feel free to administer beatings to children, who with their small and vulerable bodies and brains simply break more easily than adults, even in taxpayer-supported institutions such as public schools. When you think about it in those terms, the idea just seems absolutely bonkers.

I remember we had a spirited discussion on MTS many years ago about corporal punishment, with one proponent who was very supportive of it, and would counter with arguments such as "I was spanked when I was a child and I turned out fine" (Did you? Really?), and "Are you a parent? No? Then you have no right to weigh in on this." It's a controversial topic, which is why I put it here in Politics. But the link below leads to a very thoughtful discussion of the issue, admittedly all anti-corporal punishment and nobody on the pro side, that might be worth your time to take in if you have any interest in the topic.

https://www.whathappenedinalabama.org/episode/2024/06/26/ep-7-spare-the-rod

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I've been listening to the ten-part podcast "What Happened in Alabama?". The host's father grew up in Jim Crow Alabama before moving with the family to Minnesota when he was 12. The host was born there and grew up as one of the few black people in his St. Paul suburb. A common theme of the pod is how the host's father regularly beat him and his sister as children to within an inch of their lives. The working hypothesis is that the father did so because, as with so many black parents, beating the children was a way to teach them that they had to grow up fast and learn how to navigate a white world super carefully so they don't end up getting killed by racial violence. The pod also ties the beating of children back to slavery days, where violent punishments established itself as something that got passed down through generations through the descendants of both enslaved persons and slaveholders.

I just got to episode seven and the pod threw a bit of a curve ball: rather than discussing yet another aspect of Jim Crow directly, they veered off into the topic of corporal punishment of children. The host had experienced regular beatings, and as an adult thought things through and determined that even though he had thought it was a normal and even beneficial way to grow up, he was now questioning the efficacy of the entire idea, and he brought on a doctor who'd studied the effects of corporal punishment on children, and how the nervous system is altered by it. He also brought on an African American Studies professor to discuss how corporal punishment extends beyond the home into schools.

There were several really good points I had not contemplated very deeply before. One that had crossed my mind was that constant beatings—and, as importantly, the constant threat of beatings that could come at any moment for any or no reason—likely rewire the brain in unhealthy ways that manifests in the children growing up and behaving that way toward their own children. It's a form of traumatic stress disorder. I also knew that there are certain states, most of them concentrated in the old slave south, still allow corporal punishment in schools.

But the one idea that had never crossed my mind was how we allow punitive behavior against children that would be considered cruel and unusual punishment under the Eighth Amendment were they to be practiced on adults. At one time the flogging of adults as judicial corporal punishment in the US was common, particularly used against enslaved people and, later, black people during the Jim Crow era. As such, it's a holdover punishment from slavery times that still resonates strongly with a large portion of the United States. But while there is no longer any judicial corporal punishment of adults, people still feel free to administer beatings to children, who with their small and vulerable bodies and brains simply break more easily than adults, even in taxpayer-supported institutions such as public schools. When you think about it in those terms, the idea just seems absolutely bonkers.

I remember we had a spirited discussion on MTS many years ago about corporal punishment, with one proponent who was very supportive of it, and would counter with arguments such as "I was spanked when I was a child and I turned out fine" (Did you? Really?), and "Are you a parent? No? Then you have no right to weigh in on this." It's a controversial topic, which is why I put it here in Politics. But the link below leads to a very thoughtful discussion of the issue, admittedly all anti-corporal punishment and nobody on the pro side, that might be worth your time to take in if you have any interest in the topic.

https://www.whathappenedinalabama.org/episode/2024/06/26/ep-7-spare-the-rod

It’s a worthy topic.  I didn’t spank more than maybe a swat on a diaper once with no real force.  I was hit with a belt a couple time by my otherwise saintly father and my drunk mother many times.  I still have negative feelings about those incidents 

20 hours ago, romad1 said:

It’s a worthy topic.  I didn’t spank more than maybe a swat on a diaper once with no real force.  I was hit with a belt a couple time by my otherwise saintly father and my drunk mother many times.  I still have negative feelings about those incidents 

18 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

My mother once broke a wooden clothesline prop over my backside. I probably deserved it at the time.

I believe there’s a clear difference between swatting a kid on the butt once to get their attention, and as a completely unusual and out-of-character response to a situation that signaled its practically grave consequences, versus carefully planning and preparing a beating over a period of time before administering a painful corporal punishment for something like backtalk. I think the healthiest relationships between children and parents are those in which discipline is rooted in a loss of privileges and an explanation of why, versus loss of privileges AND a savage beating AND the silent treatment during and afterwards.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I believe there’s a clear difference between swatting a kid on the butt once to get their attention, and as a completely unusual and out-of-character response to a situation that signaled its practically grave consequences, versus carefully planning and preparing a beating over a period of time before administering a painful corporal punishment for something like backtalk. I think the healthiest relationships between children and parents are those in which discipline is rooted in a loss of privileges and an explanation of why, versus loss of privileges AND a savage beating AND the silent treatment during and afterwards.

Mine was a reaction to something I did vs a chore I was supposed to be doing. There was a broken window involved if I remember correctly (60 plus years ago). The clothes prop was also rotted 

Not exactly political but more like a peeve.

The Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village is spending something like $30 Million to buy and move the house in Selma, Alabama that Martin Luther King planned many of his Civil Rights marches to Greenfield Villiage

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/greenfield-village/jackson-house/

While I applauded them of buying up historic buildings and adding them to their collection, I can't help but think they could find other ways to spend the money or work to refurbish the house and make it a historic site where it was actually a historic site. At the same time bring a bit of tourism to Selma and other places in the  south. Maybe some sort of a Freedom Trail setup combined with similar sites.

To me Greenfield Village is a hodgepodge of historic buildings bought by a quirky collector with no real rhyme or reason. After all Henry Ford original plan for the Museum and Greenfield Village was to feature and celebrate industrial growth in the United States. This doesn't seem to fall into that category.

Rant over... 

I’m not sure that’s fair to The Henry Ford.  The owner of the house, the daughter of the Jacksons, contacted them about relocating it there. The Henry Ford didn’t  go in and scoop it up like hawks.  The museum and village has many artifacts and exhibits related to civil rights and Justice.  I think it will be in good hands and will reach over a million people a year, with many of those visitors coming from out of the country and this history will be somewhat new to them.