2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

I don't mean to be a naysayer, but I preached this all off-season. The Tigers will have one of the worst lineups this year in the AL if not all of Baseball. We'll get one more high pick next year. But we will be in a pretty good place next year going forward. 

I love these boys, but this was predictable and forseeable. Let Tork get his lumps in and let Greene as well when he's ready. Next year we will have those two in a lot better place, Baez will be ok, and Dingler should be up as well. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

If I really want to go crazy (I probably should of ended my message above), I think these guys will have a good core next year though after Greene and Tork get their "experience year". They won't be competing for MVP's but they could be competing for above average spots though.

Greene
Tork
Baez
Dingler
Meadows

That is a good start right there. Schoop and Candy might be able to fill in there as well but I'm guessing we'll add another FA hitter. That should give us at least 5 above regular hitters (not including Meadows here unless he shows us something). Dingler profiles to be above average hitter too. I could see him being a top 10 Catcher in terms of hitting when he finally gets here as most hitters are hitting for dog crap right now. But at least that's a start. Much better than we have now 😕.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the tigers will win 3 games in a row and you'll all be talking playoffs again.  lol.

Yeah, there seems to be too much highs and lows with some folks trying to make it though a 162 game baseball season.  I don’t know if there’s too much of a football mentality that gets pulled into it, at least in regards to the magnitude of one game/series in relation to the entirety of a season.

12 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yeah, there seems to be too much highs and lows with some folks trying to make it though a 162 game baseball season.  I don’t know if there’s too much of a football mentality that gets pulled into it, at least in regards to the magnitude of one game/series in relation to the entirety of a season.

In fairness to the fan base, a 6 game losing streak is pretty bleak point even in a 162 game schedule. I don't think most decent teams have one very often in a good year. If you assume binomial statistics, even a 100 loss team only has a 6% of having a 6 game losing streak. 

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

In fairness to the fan base, a 6 game losing streak is pretty bleak point even in a 162 game schedule. I don't think most decent teams have one very often in a good year. If you assume binomial statistics, even a 100 loss team only has a 6% of having a 6 game losing streak. 

Thinking back to last year, I believe that Cincy, MKE, San Diego, NYY, Atlanta all had some longer losing streaks at points, and they were all in contention at the end or made it.

May be less true of the elite teams tho... I doubt LA or SF suffered any of those.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

It's also a sport where the even the best teams still lose around 33% of the time. Just a much different animal than the NFL.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Thinking back to last year, I believe that Cincy, MKE, San Diego, NYY, Atlanta all had some longer losing streaks at points, and they were all in contention at the end or made it.

May be less true of the elite teams tho... I doubt LA or SF suffered any of those.

Actually checked on this, but the 100-win Tampa Bay Rays had a seven game losing streak at one point last year (6/15 thru 6/22).

Of course teams have to offset it with big win streaks, but it can happen to the top teams as well.

Edited by mtutiger

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

sure - first off team winning percentages are not a constant - as a group the guys do go through collective highs and lows together so you may really have a team that for two weeks can't win 2 out of 10, plus of the quality of the opposition is not constant so you will see a lot more variance in streak probability than simple stats would predict. And finally if you have 30 teams, something with a 6% chance of happening should happen to roughly 2 of them. OTOH, I think the longest losing streak the Tigers had in 2006 or '13 was 4. Still, the things will tend to cluster around the predicted math.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Tomorrow is roster reduction day.

My guess is Willi and Will Vest get sent down (the latter only because he has options and Hutchison doesnt). But who knows.

There's also the possibility that Grossman has to go on the IL, so they'll only have to send one down.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If Grossman goes on the DL, I’d prefer they promote Cameron and give him a bunch of AB’s.  Time to step up.

If they really wanted to be bold, if Robbie goes on IL, they could promote both Cameron and Clemens and send Baddoo down for a bit, who clearly needs it.

Not that the alternative AAA options are better, but now wouldn't be a bad time for a roster shakeup. And it would be nice to have a non-Castro option who could play 2nd or 3rd.

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

If they really wanted to be bold, if Robbie goes on IL, they could promote both Cameron and Clemens and send Baddoo down for a bit, who clearly needs it.

Not that the alternative AAA options are better, but now wouldn't be a bad time for a roster shakeup. And it would be nice to have a non-Castro option who could play 2nd or 3rd.

I do think you either have to let Baddoo play through it, which is tough unless others start to hit so you can carry him, or you have to send him down. Dropping him to the 4th OF role is counterproductive, he needs ABs. I'd also like to see Clemens in place of Harold. I know he's got a great OBP for now, but zero power, he doesn't field, he's not even a decent 1b (i.e. didn't know when to just get off the bag and stop a bad throw) and when he gets on base he doesn't run well. I have nothing personal against the guy - I just think he does too many things poorly for the OBP to make up for it.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I do think you either have to let Baddoo play through it, which is tough unless others start to hit so you can carry him, or you have to send him down. Dropping him to the 4th OF role is counterproductive, he needs ABs. I'd also like to see Clemens in place of Harold. I know he's got a great OBP for now, but zero power, he doesn't field, he's not even a decent 1b (i.e. didn't know when to just get off the bag and stop a bad throw) and when he gets on base he doesn't run well. I have nothing personal against the guy - I just think he does too many things poorly for the OBP to make up for it.

The real downside to Clemens being in the Harold role is SS.... he's had reps all around the infield except at that position, which means that if Baez needs a day off or anything, you're still stuck with Harold there. This also assumes Willi still gets sent down for roster reduction purposes.

Either way, with Schoop / Candy batting as they are, it would be nice to have an alternative to being stuck with Harold having to cover all these positions. I doubt Clemens is a game changer or anything, but it'd be nice to just seem them try something different... 

Edited by mtutiger

Where do you play Clemens?  I don’t think he’s an upgrade to either Schoop and Candy, who have replicated their early season slump from last year.  I do think they’ll start to hit soon.  He might be an upgrade to Cabrera at DH, but that isn’t happening.

At try this point, I think Clemens is an injury replacement at 2B or 3B, or trade bait.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Where do you play Clemens?  I don’t think he’s an upgrade to either Schoop and Candy, who have replicated their early season slump from last year.  I do think they’ll start to hit soon.  He might be an upgrade to Cabrera at DH, but that isn’t happening.

At try this point, I think Clemens is an injury replacement at 2B or 3B, or trade bait.  

The idea in my mind is that he's a bench player who provides better defense than either Castro at the positions that he can play. 

It just seems to me that Akil needs reps and, even if Grossman were on IL, it's not clear that he's gonna get more of them in Detroit. Or whether it or not it would be more beneficial for him to get some in Toledo.

EDIT: I would also add that Stavenhagen made a good point on his Podcast about the catching situation; and the reality is that if the Tigers weren't carrying three catchers right now, it's not hard to envision that one of Zack Short or Kody Clemens could be on the roster right now.

Edited by mtutiger

19 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

IDK - fair question. I don't know much about Kody's D, but if he has the arm to have played 3rd and can play second, then even if he's not very good at SS he's probably better than Harold at this point, who doesn't seem to be able to make any plays at all. Baez is going to get 95% of the reps there anyway. In any case I'm not so much a fan of Clemens as hoping for any way they get themselves off the addiction to H. Castro.  🦃🦃

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I kinda feel bad for Garneau, but the experiment did need to end.

Alexander.... umm, yikes. And are they gonna cover him with Peralta?

One of the catchers needed to go.  Garneau hasn't played any worse than Haase and maybe better.

7 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

The fact that they have the option of carrying 14 pitchers in May may give them a little more flexibility if they needed to swap Castro for Wentz or Faedo, perhaps. But that wouldn't be ideal for as a long term solution, maybe for 1-2 starts at a time.