2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

Then pull Garcia up tomorrow as the extra player.  They've taken a poorly constructed roster and made it more poorly constructed.

True, must be up for good. I wonder if this means we get a free preview of Kody Clemens as 26th man?

Edited by Tigeraholic1

5 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

True, must be up for good. I wonder if this means we get a free preview of Kody Clemens as 26th man?

My guess is something like Faedo for 27th man (again), Bullpen day Wednesday (which Rony supplements), then Rony down whenever Victor Reyes is ready to be activated.

I don't care for it mostly because, again, it leaves the bench short on competent outfielders.

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

Cabrera, Schoop, Baez, Candelario, Meadows and Grossman are getting paid millions to hit the ball over the fence and they aren't doing it. That's where the blame should lie right now.

Yes, the only thing really going on is that the Tigers have gotten off to a poor start for the second year in a row. Is this someone's fault? Not really, it's life. Shit happens. Like Sparky said, the first 40 games are a crapshoot, and you only hope to be around .500 till everything shakes out. 

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Is there anyone here who actually believes or who is arguing that Avila has done a good job as GM? 

The conversation overall about the failures of player development for the Tigers is an interesting one, but it also feels like we're taking baseball bats to Strawmen here.

i will continue to beat that strawman until he's fired.

and then i'll bitch about him for years the way i still bitch about stan van gundy, mid 2000s ken holland, and bob quinn.

30 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Serious questions that I have:

Can't Hinch just say to Avila, I don't want Willi here, call up X?

Does Hinch really think there is something else to learn about Willi as a ML player?

it seems there is always some player over a given perioid they just refuse to give up on. Christin Stewart, Sizemore, Michado, all kinds of guys get way more run than they merit. Ever since his one hot streak it's been W. Castro. I understand you really don't want to miss a guy that may turn into something when your position player pool sucks, but I'm sorry, I just don't see it with Willi. Last yr was his opportunity to turn it around but he finished the season the same player he started it and still is.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it seems there is always some player over a given perioid they just refuse to give up on. Christin Stewart, Sizemore, Michado, all kinds of guys get way more run than they merit. Ever since his one hot streak it's been W. Castro. I understand you really don't want to miss a guy that may turn into something when your position player pool sucks, but I'm sorry, I just don't see it with Willi. Last yr was his opportunity to turn it around but he finished the season the same player he started it and still is.

It says a lot about what they think of Daz Cameron as well.

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

Yes, the only thing really going on is that the Tigers have gotten off to a poor start for the second year in a row. Is this someone's fault? Not really, it's life. Shit happens. Like Sparky said, the first 40 games are a crapshoot, and you only hope to be around .500 till everything shakes out. 

This is the crux of it. Analyzing Hinch's moves at the micro level or complaining about Avila and the macro picture are fine. But they miss the reason the Tigers are 8-19. Guys who in the past hit HRs have pretty much stopped hitting HRs. How is this management's fault? In MLB, the Tigers are last in HRs, last in slugging percentage, and of course last in Rs/game. No one could have predicted this, not after signing a guy who hit 34 HRs last year and trading for another who hit 27 last year. Between the two of them they have hit 3 HRs, after 27 games!  One would expect about 9-10 HR from these two at this point (allowing for the decline in HRs across the league in 2022). Even allowing for expected regression among guys like Grossman, Baddoo, Schoop, and Candy even the most pessimistic projections would have expected more than 4 HRs among this group. This is a complete power outage than makes no sense but has sure been damaging. Hopefully all of these guys will start reverting to the mean. If they do it all at once things could get fun. 

I mean come on, man.  Derek Hill can't play 2 tomorrow?  He's 26 years old and I know there have been some injuries, but they've usually come on hustle plays, not stamina plays and if a guy with his skills at his age can't play 2 games then why is he even here? 

Willi Castro has played only 20 innings in CF at Toledo and he's going to cover Comerica's CF?   

Everything is broken. 

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I mean come on, man.  Derek Hill can't play 2 tomorrow?  He's 26 years old and I know there have been some injuries, but they've usually come on hustle plays, not stamina plays and if a guy with his skills at his age can't play 2 games then why is he even here? 

Willi Castro has played only 20 innings in CF at Toledo and he's going to cover Comerica's CF?   

Everything is broken. 

I can only surmise that the pressure of losing is scrambling their brains.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

g..o..t....t..o....d..o..u..b..l..e....D..O..W..N

It really does feel like this.  I wonder if they read this message board and think to themselves "I can up the level of annoyance to the fans who think they know more than me."

Edited by Hart

46 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Everything is broken. 

If this is the reason, I would lose my mind.  I sure hope it has more to do with just getting spreading the wealth of at bats.  I still hate it but can at least stomach it.  If they are trying to rest Hill, they are dumber than I thought.  

25 minutes ago, Hart said:

If this is the reason, I would lose my mind.  I sure hope it has more to do with just getting spreading the wealth of at bats.  I still hate it but can at least stomach it.  If they are trying to rest Hill, they are dumber than I thought.  

Hinch will probably be mad at him and bench him for bunting with one out just now.

Edited by gehringer_2