2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Al Avila, the Tigers' general manager, was present for each of his high-profile prospects’ at-bats and liked what he saw.

“Next week, at some point, we’ll re-evaluate them,” Avila said afterward, “and if everything checks out, they’ll probably be able to play in some games toward the end of the week.”

Those games, Avila said, would be minor-league rehab stints somewhere in the Tigers' farm chain that precede a return to regular duty: Greene in Detroit, Kriedler at Toledo. Such a timetable could mean an early-June return for each player.

Avila emphasized those rehab missions remained a “possibility” that would be postponed if there were any setbacks.

“We’re not going to let those guys play in any games,” he said, “unless they’re 100%.”

I would love to see Kriedler up to platoon, for now, with Schoop. This team needs energy. But it will start getting really ugly until we get some starting pitchers back.

53 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Two righties in a platoon?

Also, I'm not sure it's a good idea to take Schoop's bat out of the lineup at the moment, or whenever Kreidler would be eventually ready for game action. At least recently, he's been one of the only Tigers to actually hit balls hard

Edited by mtutiger

11 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Also, I'm not sure it's a good idea to take Schoop's bat out of the lineup at the moment, or whenever Kreidler would be eventually ready for game action. At least recently, he's been one of the only Tigers to actually hit balls hard

They also need his defense.  He leads the league in Outs Above Average: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average

23 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Candy’s been smacking it around pretty good lately, too. He keeps doing that and he’s gonna turn it around, too.

20 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Also, Kreidler is still injured.  He may be back sooner than expected, but even then he'll need to play some games before they consider promoting him.  

The story said they had inserted HW into Kreidlers hand that obviously is staying in for now. I wonder if they will remove it in the off-season or if can be left permanently. Usually bone plates are meant to be left in but you wonder if you wouldn't be too constantly aware of it in your hand.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

The Padres signed a washed-up 39 year old Robinson Cano. So I think we could unload Schoop. Or start waiting for him to hit in June or July. 

That’s the problem—we’ve endured his prolonged slump.  Now I want to benefit when he starts raking again.  Your point is valid, though, if you get tempted by another team near the deadline.  It didn’t happen last season.

The Tigers had trouble trading Schoop at the deadline last year when his numbers were relatively robust.... makes me think he'd get little to no return if you traded him now, two months before the deadline.

Just ride him out as is for now.... the best version of this team has him in the lineup, and Kreidler isn't even 100% healthy or cleared to play games yet.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Also, Kreidler is still injured.  He may be back sooner than expected, but even then he'll need to play some games before they consider promoting him.  

If Schoop is still hitting .160 when Kreidler's healthy, call him up. Good defense will only matter if you're not a total black hole in the batting order. It's why we didn't just go with Short at SS, he didn't hit. It's hard to believe Schoop is only 30 years old. He plays like a 38 year old.

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

That’s the problem—we’ve endured his prolonged slump.  Now I want to benefit when he starts raking again.  Your point is valid, though, if you get tempted by another team near the deadline.  It didn’t happen last season.

But sometimes you need to cut your losses. I'm not saying trade him now, wait to see if Kriedler can play an acceptable defense at 2nd base. I'm pretty confident he can hit a bit better than .160. And trading Schoop shouldn't be too hard if we pick up his salary. It's a sunken cost anyway. This team needs some life.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

If Schoop is still hitting .160 when Kreidler's healthy, call him up. Good defense will only matter if you're not a total black hole in the batting order. It's why we didn't just go with Short at SS, he didn't hit. It's hard to believe Schoop is only 30 years old. He plays like a 38 year old.

He's the best defensive 2nd baseman in the league right now, and he's been one of the few guys in the lineup over the past week or two that has been hitting balls hard (along with Candy, Miggy and Tork)... and outside of Abraham Toro, he has one of the worst BABIP's in the league, suggesting a significant amount of bad luck.

If you want to find a player to pick on, I'd suggest Robbie Grossman.... I like Robbie, but there's very little positive to say about his game at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Zach Short was not a good fielder for the Tigers last year. 

The Tigers should bring up Kreidler when the feel he is ready.  They shouldn't bring him up because Schoop is in a slump.