2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

4 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

Wily Peralta is third, with a 0.8 BR WAR. The guy has pitched 22 innings with a walk rate of 5.2 BB/9 and he has the third highest WAR on the team? Bizarre. 

Wily is super lucky. His RA9-WAR is 0.8 because it’s a results-oriented WAR that is influenced by his high strand rate (94%) and low BABIP (.246). Regress these to mean, and his fWAR, which is more predictive-oriented, is 0.1.

The takeaway is that he is probably going to regress.  As if we couldn’t tell by his stats anyway.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Don't look now, but:

image.png.2ac740d101b8e421546940cd23c22ce9.png

And this includes three straight losses to New York right smack in the middle of this stretch.

If they continue to play .643 for the rest of the season, they'll finish with 91 wins and a chance at the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:38 AM, chasfh said:

Yeah, I definitely do not want to trade this guy for prospects just yet.

I’ve done that with a wiffle ball. But never with a baseball. Maybe these new sometimes irregular balls make this a greater possibility. 

But after a two-month layoff, Greene said he still needed time to acclimate to baseball shape.

“Being back in games, it’s a different toll on your body,” Greene said. “Just trying to get my legs back under me was big, and I’m feeling pretty good now.”

Greene was hitting .278 entering Wednesday. Tuesday against the Iowa Cubs, Greene went 2-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored. He also had a terrific running catch in center, showing the type of instincts the Tigers have been lacking in the majors.

The box score looks great, but the tape shows there’s a bit to go before Greene is all the way back to himself. The left-handed hitter with the sweet swing was rolling his wrists and missed a couple of hitter’s pitches. It’s a small sample, but since his return, Greene is hitting a lot of groundballs, one small sign he’s not ready to hit in the majors, even though he says his foot feels at or close to 100 percent.

“As a hitter, when you’re feeling good at the plate, you want to keep playing in games and hitting,” Greene said. “When you can’t get that feeling back, it’s hard. It’s hard, and you know you’re trying to fight for that feeling back, and sometimes you can’t get it back. But I’m working my way up, trying to figure it out, and the feeling is starting to come back now.”

https://theathletic.com/3355843/2022/06/09/riley-greene-tigers-injuries-rehab/

4 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

If they continue to play .643 for the rest of the season, they'll finish with 91 wins and a chance at the playoffs.

I still consider this team a 1979/1980 team, not a 1983/1984 team.

There are still a lot of prospects on their way up and we still have some team-building to do....

If it is indeed another 2 weeks I guess we owe Lynn an apology cause that would make what 3‐4 weeks total he was there? Yeah Lynn said 5 weeks but if it ends up being close to 4 I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I honestly thought he'd be there a couple weeks tops. 

35 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

So another two weeks plus or minus is how I read that...

(I haven't read the article yet, going to now... I meant just reading tea leaves...).

Scenario A is maybe next weekend against Texas, Scenario B is probably next homestand after that

On June 3rd Gerrit Cole took a perfect game into the 6th against the Tigers and left after 7 giving up a total of 2 hits.

On June 9th, Gerrit gave up 8 hits and 5 HR and didn't make it out of the 3rd inning against the Twins.

Yankees won both games.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

On June 3rd Gerrit Cole took a perfect game into the 6th against the Tigers and left after 7 giving up a total of 2 hits.

On June 9th, Gerrit gave up 8 hits and 5 HR and didn't make it out of the 3rd inning against the Twins.

Yankees won both games.

Almost like the Yankees are really really good.

On 6/8/2022 at 6:21 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Tork has been worth his weight just in the number of bad throws he has already saved. I've only seen him lose one so far and Jeimer and Javy have both had him working hard most of the time. I don't know what kind of glove Pete Alonso had with the Mets last season but with the Cubs Javy had Rizzo at 1st. If he threw in Chi like he throws here, Rizzo must have saved him a lot of errors as well. Javy's not uncatchable wild, and clearly the arm is a cannon, but he almost never makes a straight at the chest throw to 1st either.

Now if he can just catch foul popups.