2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Would Greene be a success if he became Andrew Benintendi?

Id be disappointed but if you compare him to other top 5 picks and prospects historically that would probably be considered a success. 

How about if he turns out to be  Castellanos when he was with the Tigers with the bat but can play cf competently? Thats like a 110-120 ops+ for a cf. Id have to think that would be a win for the Tigers.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think manning and greene will be good!

everyone else sucks!

/shakesfistatcloud

I'm not sold on Manning just yet. So far he is a low-strikeout, average-walk, high-base hit guy with underwhelming stuff. Maybe that was because he has been hurt the whole time last year and this, and maybe if he gets pain-free it'll change and he'll be an ace. But I'll need to see it first.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id be disappointed but if you compare him to other top 5 picks and prospects historically that would probably be considered a success. 

How about if he turns out to be  Castellanos when he was with the Tigers with the bat but can play cf competently? Thats like a 110-120 ops+ for a cf. Id have to think that would be a win for the Tigers.

Yeah, that would be a win.  

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Manning just never looked after he hurt his shoulder in 2019. I'm hoping that they finally got that taken care of hand he can revert to his previous self.

And that's the unfortunate thing about being a professional athlete: it may not be his fault that he got hurt, and it may not be fair that he can't tap into the apex of his talent as a result, but he's going to bear the burden of it anyway.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm not sold on Manning just yet. So far he is a low-strikeout, average-walk, high-base hit guy with underwhelming stuff. Maybe that was because he has been hurt the whole time last year and this, and maybe if he gets pain-free it'll change and he'll be an ace. But I'll need to see it first.

im not completely sold either, but i think his athletic profile is such that it gives him the highest ceiling.

On 7/28/2022 at 12:10 PM, gehringer_2 said:

I can't decide about Mize. I don't think he has shown much strength at the mental aspect, but that can change. Bigger problem is that there isn't much swing and miss in his fastball, he has to command it. If TJ stabilizes his elbow it could actually help his command, but either way command remains an unknown coming out of the surgery and for Mize it's especially critical. Bottom line, he hasn't justified being picked over Brady Singer.

Yeah, Brady Singer is currently looking like an upgrade over Mize even if Mize comes back healthy.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Would Greene be a success if he became Andrew Benintendi?

If he were more consistent, and had a little more HR power, yes.  Benintendi is underwhelming for a 7th overall pick.  Hardly a bust, but not what I would call a success, at least not yet.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

im not completely sold either, but i think his athletic profile is such that it gives him the highest ceiling.

He sure looks the part of a big-league starter.....but boy his numbers and his projections are yawners.  ZIPs has him as a sub-2 WAR guy for the next three years, with poor swing/miss stuff and far less than elite command.

51 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

He sure looks the part of a big-league starter.....but boy his numbers and his projections are yawners.  ZIPs has him as a sub-2 WAR guy for the next three years, with poor swing/miss stuff and far less than elite command.

“Manning’s got a great body. He's got a plus arm. There's just a lot of things to like about him. And we'll just see how he develops."

28 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

The center piece, trophy FA signing, who's supposed to be a defensive wizard, signifying that the "rebuild is over", leads the league in errors.  This is the way.

635835474432884823-tdndc5-6lv5w010hwnj179c1df-original.jpg

Interestingly, Baez's fielding pct is right at his career norm this year.

His advanced defensive metrics are considerably worse than his norm, but his errors are so far typical for him.

2 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Baez's fielding pct is right at his career norm this year.

but to be honest, since errors get harder to earn every year, and esp this year, a constant fielding % probably represents decay. OTOH, advanced stats take a long time to find their level. My guess from watching is that there is nothing wrong with Javy's fielding skill, but that his concentration level may be suffering playing on a non-competitive team. As a pro that absolutely should not happen, but Javy is exactly the king of high strung guy where you might expect it.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

The center piece, trophy FA signing, who's supposed to be a defensive wizard, signifying that the "rebuild is over", leads the league in errors.  This is the way.

635835474432884823-tdndc5-6lv5w010hwnj179c1df-original.jpg

Last Day of July. Eric Haase is the best hitter in the lineup.

Al's legacy!