2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

2 hours ago, Nerb said:

He seems to have completely made it up out of thin air

I seem to have seen two things related to it and know it's a big problem in baseball. Put two and two together and suggested it might be four, and recommended a book that goes into the topic for further reading.

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Clearly. That said, it's also fair to keep in mind that any particular speculation by a poster here may not represent the view of anyone beyond himself.

of course, but its not a crime against humanity like some are making it out to be.

its perfectly fine to wonder what's going on with erod and matthews.  its also perfectly fine to be skeptical about what is said publicly about it, cause the parties at issue all have reason to form a specific narrative that supports them and their careers.

as usual "nobody knows nothin."  but thats really no fun.  its fun to talk about what it might be.  besides, erod and matthews arent here, so we can talk all the crap about them we want, lol!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, casimir said:

Its good to see people of some fame and notoriety use their place in life and platforms to be honest that just because they can hit a fastball or drain a 3 and get paid handsomely for it, it doesn’t mean that they are anyone else is immune to times of difficulty.  “Hey, I’m going through this, but I’m working through it with professionals, and if anyone reading this needs help, go find it, the resources are out there.”  You have to appreciate people that will open up like that.

It's amazing.  You really have to step up and salute the guy; quitters are amazing.  He should have a statue erected in front of every regular person's house.  Can you imagine telling your boss that you are taking the rest of the year off because you don't feel like working?  Because if the majority of us tried pulling that, we would be fired the next day.  Sorry, but everyone else has personal issues they need to deal with and still go to work (if you work), because if many people didn't, they wouldn't be able to feed their family.  Sorry if I don't shed a tear over an entitled athlete's tribulations.  Who doesn't love entitled people complaining about their entitled lives.  The guy isn't a hero for quitting.  

31 minutes ago, gkelly said:

Because if the majority of us tried pulling that, we would be fired the next day. 

If this were true, how do you think rehab clinics stay in business? Also, doesn't FMLA exist, which ensures the right for normal people to look after their health without expectation of losing their job?

Just my two cents, but people stepping aside from work for health reasons is probably more common than you are letting on.

Edited by mtutiger

21 minutes ago, gkelly said:

It's amazing.  You really have to step up and salute the guy; quitters are amazing.  He should have a statue erected in front of every regular person's house.  Can you imagine telling your boss that you are taking the rest of the year off because you don't feel like working?  Because if the majority of us tried pulling that, we would be fired the next day.  Sorry, but everyone else has personal issues they need to deal with and still go to work (if you work), because if many people didn't, they wouldn't be able to feed their family.  Sorry if I don't shed a tear over an entitled athlete's tribulations.  Who doesn't love entitled people complaining about their entitled lives.  The guy isn't a hero for quitting.  

I've done it. I had leave entitled, was unhealthily burned out in mid-December and abruptly used it. Wasn't fired, and now 8 or so years later currently near the top of the org chart.

Read the book I linked. This is VERRRY common in baseball, particularly with guys fighting back from injury. It's tough and grueling.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

If this were true, how do you think rehab clinics stay in business? Also, doesn't FMLA exist, which ensures the right for normal people to look after their health without expectation of losing their job?

Just my two cents, but people stepping aside from work for health reasons is probably more common than you are letting on.

I think there are enough people who work in places with favorable policies that the clinics have a practice, but I would venture to guess that by total percentage, that would be well less than half the population of American workers.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think there are enough people who work in places with favorable policies that the clinics have a practice, but I would venture to guess that by total percentage, that would be well less than half the population of American workers.

Sure. Not everyone has the same options.

But let's not act like it's unprecedented either.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I've done it. I had leave entitled, was unhealthily burned out in mid-December and abruptly used it. Wasn't fired, and now 8 or so years later currently near the top of the org chart.

Read the book I linked. This is VERRRY common in baseball, particularly with guys fighting back from injury. It's tough and grueling.

The COVID overlay has also been mentioned. That is enough of a wildcard that it leaves all kinds of room to speculate.  Long term diffuse chronic after affects of viral disease in general are probably much more widespread than are generally recognized by the public or the medical profession. If the COVID pandemic triggers more research in that area it will be a good thing.

The difference for a professional athlete is that most people can manage to keep their lives together and hold down their employment while being at only 50-80% of their top form for a few months or maybe more while some physical normalcy hopefully returns. An MLB hitter does not have that luxury.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I believe it.  Anyone in a chosen career as specific as baseball which could be thought of like other highly specialized careers faces different dynamics than a lot of others.  Just because many of them have a lot of money doesn’t negate that. They have a limited window of time to work. 

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The COVID overlay has also been mentioned. That is enough of a wildcard that it leaves all kinds of room to speculate.  Long term diffuse chronic after affects of viral disease in general are probably much more widespread than are generally recognized by the public or the medical profession. If the COVID pandemic triggers more research in that area it will be a good thing.

The difference for a professional athlete is that most people can manage to keep their lives together and hold down their employment while being at only 50-80% of their top form for a few months or maybe more while some physical normalcy hopefully returns. An MLB hitter does not have that luxury.

maybe if he were having respiratory issues or stamina issues, but he hurt his achilles and then he said he had mental health issues.  that doesnt sound like covid stuff to me.  sounds like he was performing poorly, got hurt, and hasnt been able to make it back to his previous level and he's having a hard time dealing with it.

give him some prozac and get him back on the field.

3 hours ago, gkelly said:

Speaking of quitters...

image.png.d0622d73220c01332dc939e53532edfb.png

You seem to have quit the conversation about Scherzer.  So have at it, champ, prove your point that Scherzer is often injured.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

maybe if he were having respiratory issues or stamina issues, but he hurt his achilles and then he said he had mental health issues.  that doesnt sound like covid stuff to me.  sounds like he was performing poorly, got hurt, and hasnt been able to make it back to his previous level and he's having a hard time dealing with it.

I have a really hard time being that dismissive of mental health stuff. It's going to take a lot more than "giving him a prozac..."

3 hours ago, buddha said:

I don't know how easy it always is to separate things. Your mental state can be driven by your physical. Lets say (purely hypothetical of course) he has some kind of vague chronic fatigue or just enough brain fog that he can't focus on the fastball well enough to hit it. Give a pro athlete an even barely discernible and hard to identify dose of that kind of post infection effect and you might have an effective driver for a full blown case of clinical depression. 

I think it's probably accurate to think of a lot of kinds of sports pros as more 'resilient' than the average person, and I think a guy like an NFL interior lineman probably is. But what a hitter does exists so much on the very edge of the limit of human physiology and neurology, that you could see it from the opposite side,  they have very little if any resilience in the face of what might be fairly trivial deficits for other kinds of athletes. I could see that making your mental state more precarious than what many people have to face daily. Of course on the other hand, the very fact you make the majors in the face of those realities probably self-selects for people who are not easily knocked off stride.  Never having sniffed that kind of talent I can only guess!

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Speaking of quitters...

image.png.d0622d73220c01332dc939e53532edfb.png

You seem to have quit the conversation about Scherzer.  So have at it, champ, prove your point that Scherzer is often injured.

Are you serious?

Scherzer missed the first few months of this season and ...he's been on the injured list four times since 2019.  

just left the game about 15 minutes ago with an injury.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/mlb/mets/2022/09/04/max-scherzer-injury-mets-nationals/65471098007/

but I thought anybody with basic intelligence and the ability to access the internet could look up his injury history...guess I overestimated some people.  

Edited by gkelly