2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

32 minutes ago, Archie said:

One of the catchers needed to go.  Garneau hasn't played any worse than Haase and maybe better.

If Garneau ends up leaving the org, they have Lavarnway on a minor league contract at Toledo who could be the next Garneau going forward.

Edited by gehringer_2

22 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

In fairness to the fan base, a 6 game losing streak is pretty bleak point even in a 162 game schedule. I don't think most decent teams have one very often in a good year. If you assume binomial statistics, even a 100 loss team only has a 6% of having a 6 game losing streak. 

Meh...a team will win 50 games and lose 50 games every season. It's what they do in the other 62 games that matters.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I do think you either have to let Baddoo play through it, which is tough unless others start to hit so you can carry him, or you have to send him down. Dropping him to the 4th OF role is counterproductive, he needs ABs. I'd also like to see Clemens in place of Harold. I know he's got a great OBP for now, but zero power, he doesn't field, he's not even a decent 1b (i.e. didn't know when to just get off the bag and stop a bad throw) and when he gets on base he doesn't run well. I have nothing personal against the guy - I just think he does too many things poorly for the OBP to make up for it.

I wouldn't want them to bring Clemens up unless he can play almost every day. He needs the at bats....somewhere.

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I wouldn't want them to bring Clemens up unless he can play almost every day. He needs the at bats....somewhere.

I don't think he's viewed as a future starter.  I believe his ultimate role would be utility player.  

14 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

well, that's kind of the question isn't it? You might take the view that being a MLB starter has already passed Kody by. If his future is as a utility player (EDIT: which Lee just beat me to) then 26-31 are the years he's most likely to be able to spend getting paid major league money.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think he's viewed as a future starter.  I believe his ultimate role would be utility player.  

Well, I don't follow the minor leaguers but if he's going to be a utility player, I assume he's been playing several positions? We can rag on H. Casteo but is Clemens any better at SS? And Hittin' Harold can...hit. 

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Clemens any better at SS?

right - that's the $64 question. It's an odd circumstance that they've gone from having about 6 utility SS to just Harold and Zach Short. IDK, maybe Harold has just had a bad streak with the glove and isn't doomed to be as bad as he has been every time he has gone out there so far this season, but he has not played an acceptable SS this season in my view, so I don't look as him playing SS as virtue of his compared to anyone else right now. (and the injury to Kreidler figures big also)

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

They've used Clemens in the OF.

So 2B-3B-LF-RF-DH.

Harold Castro can play those positions too.  I don't get the impression he is a great defender, but can he be worse than Castro?  It's hard to say.  Castro might not be as bad as Castro if he played every day. 

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

right - that's the $64 question. It's an odd circumstance that they've gone from having about 6 utility SS to just Harold and Zach Short. IDK, maybe Harold has just had a bad streak with the glove and isn't doomed to be as bad as he has been every time he has gone out there so far this season, but he has not played an acceptable SS this season in my view, so I don't look as him playing SS as virtue of his compared to anyone else right now. (and the injury to Kreidler figures big also)

They need a good defensive backup SS because Baez will miss or rest 20 games a season or more. Kreidler wouldn't get enough at-bats. I would rather have Short up here, short term. But it won't matter if we keep losing SP at this rate. WTF is going on? We have an entire pitching staff injured? Just bad luck, bad conditioning or normal injuries?

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

They need a good defensive backup SS because Baez will miss or rest 20 games a season or more. Kreidler wouldn't get enough at-bats. I would rather have Short up here, short term. But it won't matter if we keep losing SP at this rate. WTF is going on? We have an entire pitching staff injured? Just bad luck, bad conditioning or normal injuries?

I mean, I think you would have to keep Harold on the roster even if Clemens were here, but unless Akil Baddoo turns it around in a big league uniform, they are going to have to send him down at some point. Unless they are waiting for Reyes to return from IL to pull the trigger on that, bringing up Clemens, who can man 2B, 3B or corner outfield positions would be useful to them as an alternative to carrying Baddoo right now.

The point may be moot now, though, given that roster reduction came and went and they kept Willi, who can serve a similar purpose (likely with worse defense, but not my call lol).

Regarding the pitching, I would want to hear more comment from the team about Alexander as to why he got put on IL and how serious this might be before speculating too much.... not suggesting that the injury isn't that bad or isn't serious enough to warrant IL, but considering the tough choices the bullpen presented leading up to roster reduction and the quality of Alexander's starts, I'm not sure that it's the most inconvenient thing in the world for him to be placed on IL either.

Edited by mtutiger

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I doubt it will happen, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to see what kinda DFAs are out there from other teams' roster reductions, to see if there would be anyone useful in terms of infield depth.

I am totally with you on the defense part though - it's nice that Harold can put bat on ball with some frequency, but if you can't field as a bench player, that's not good.

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I doubt it will happen, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to see what kinda DFAs are out there from other teams' roster reductions, to see if there would be anyone useful in terms of infield depth.

I am totally with you on the defense part though - it's nice that Harold can put bat on ball with some frequency, but if you can't field as a bench player, that's not good.

Robinson Cano was a DFA victim today. It seems this pathetic hitting is league-wide.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If Garneau ends up leaving the org, they have Lavarnway on a minor league contract at Toledo who could be the next Garneau going forward.

Lavarnway has been doing well in Toledo.   I think Haase's days are numbered if he doesn't do something soon.  He's not the same guy we saw last year so far this season. 

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Harold Castro can play those positions too.  I don't get the impression he is a great defender, but can he be worse than Castro?  It's hard to say.  Castro might not be as bad as Castro if he played every day. 

I would prefer Short + Clemens to Castrei.

But... not my decision.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Lavarnway has been doing well in Toledo.   I think Haase's days are numbered if he doesn't do something soon.  He's not the same guy we saw last year so far this season. 

Can't escape the feeling Haase lucked out here... his value decreases a lot without the bat, and outside of Game 1, he's been pretty absent with it.

Haase survived because we need a back up catcher for some games and we are starved for power. Clemens is a utility player that can't play shortstop or centerfield so thats not very valuable. The Castros survive because we don't have anyone better and Kreidler injury also helped them. 

19 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Haase survived because we need a back up catcher for some games and we are starved for power. Clemens is a utility player that can't play shortstop or centerfield so thats not very valuable. The Castros survive because we don't have anyone better and Kreidler injury also helped them. 

Harold Castro can't play 3B. but that doesn't stop Hinch from playing him there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1