2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but I have a lot of confidence in Fetter/ Hinch being able to get above average pitching out of thin so Hypothetically if Mize and Manning come back strong and look good the rest of the year should we consider trading one or both for a bat(s)?

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but I have a lot of confidence in Fetter/ Hinch being able to get above average pitching out of thin so Hypothetically if Mize and Manning come back strong and look good the rest of the year should we consider trading one or both for a bat(s)?

Do you mean actuals bats or ball players that know how to use said bats?

26 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Previously would have said no, now, I don't know about them specifically (all depends on the return), but they appear to have depth in pitching that they do not have in terms of position players coming up through the system where they definitely could look at trading pitchers and returning players that could help them offensively.

Edited by mtutiger

It might be too early to pull the trigger on a trade involving Mize or Manning, since you generally don’t want to sell low on a struggling green asset, but it’s probably not too early to hypothesize that Tairik Skubal might have established himself as the best and most dominating of the three young pitchers.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It might be too early to pull the trigger on a trade involving Mize or Manning, since you generally don’t want to sell low on a struggling green asset, but it’s probably not too early to hypothesize that Tairik Skubal might have established himself as the best and most dominating of the three young pitchers.

probably, but I want to see where Manning tops out. TBH, considering he was trying to get by on two pitches early, Brieske may have a damn high ceiling. With the spin on the FB keeping guys swinging under it, once he started mixing in some off speed other than the change he shut Houston down - 1 hit in his last 3 IP.

I don't know how much more time Al Avila should get.    Theo Epstein is out there and he dropped some hints that some people may think were about the Tigers.   I'd pay him whatever he wanted and give him total control, but I think we all know that winning is not really part of Chris Illitch's plan, so he won't bend over backwards to do it.   I don't think he'll get very creative and he'll stick with the guy that does what he's told.    

This city is just beat down with their sports teams right now.   We need someone, anyone to just make a playoff.   I don't think with 4 pro teams that's asking very much.    I think the Lions are building it right but they need 2 more years and I'm not sure on Campbell yet.  The Pistons have a potential superstar and hopefully the draft lottery gives them another one and they could be in the playoffs next year.  The Red Wings have some young studs and probably as red-ass coach coming along and some more youngsters on the way (Read between the lines with Yzerman - he's not going for any big free agents this year, so probably no Stamkos).   So we had a little hope with the Tigers, but.....

It won't be the Tigers this year.......and I didn't realistically think it would be, but I thought I would accept that realization in August, not May 7th.      We should have seen the bad karma coming the second Greene got hurt.  Now Kreidler with a lost season.  

A lot of us said that you need 8 starting pitchers going into a season.  The 5 you start with and 3 guys that can step in.   We've already used 8 and we'll probably need another one before Mize and Manning come back (if they come back this year).  Ugh.  It's just been brutal.   That along with the shittiest Spring ever (so far) has made this a very depressing time around here.   

Maybe its a case of every little thing going wrong at the same time, but this lineup looks lifeless.   4 starters and 1 platoon starter hitting under .200.   

I didn't think there was any chance they could start as badly as 9-24 again, but they are right on track for that.  

It's sickening.  

From 1984 through about 2014 we had it pretty good here.  We always had one of our team (not named the Lions) as a legitimate championship contender and we got to the finals 5 times with the Pistons, 5 times with the Wings and 3 times with the Tigers, and in many of those years we got as close as the semi-finals.  Even 2014 the Tigers were a legit contender (thanks Brad).   We had it sooooo good here and now,  when was the last time a Detroit team even made the playoffs, much less won a playoff game.  We're closing in on a full decade.  The 70's weren't even that bad, and the 70's were fucking bad. 

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The thing about the Riley Greene injury, unfortunate as it is, is that I dont know that their record is any different if he wasnt injured. Just as I dont know their record is any different if they sign Correa over Baez, etc.

We don't know how good Greene would have been initially.  Many top prospects struggle at first no matter how good they hit in the minors.  We do not know that he would have hit better than Meadows.  His defense probably would have helped, but it's not like he is an elite defender.  

As frustrating as this season has been to me the saving grace is that even if we think the guys on the team aren't as good as people may have thought before the year they can't possibly be THIS bad. Like if we had this same record and the guys were hitting say .700 to 725 OPS I would actually be more concerned cause there may not be much room for improvement from there but that's not the case. Coming into this game they were at .602 right now and on pace for less HRs than Bonds hit by himself one year. There's no way they are actually this bad so sooner or later they will start to hit and hopefully when they do we'll take advantage of it. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

As frustrating as this season has been to me the saving grace is that even if we think the guys on the team aren't as good as people may have thought before the year they can't possibly be THIS bad. Like if we had this same record and the guys were hitting say .700 to 725 OPS I would actually be more concerned cause there may not be much room for improvement from there but that's not the case. Coming into this game they were at .602 right now and on pace for less HRs than Bonds hit by himself one year. There's no way they are actually this bad so sooner or later they will start to hit and hopefully when they do we'll take advantage of it. 

If they don't improve, can we then blame Hinch? 

On 5/6/2022 at 12:38 PM, RandyMarsh said:

I would love to trade Mize for a bat but I think his value is pretty low right now.  We need a legit bat and the Tigers would have to part with Skubal to make that happen.  Would Pittsburgh do something like Mize, Baddoo, and a B grade prospect for Brian Reynolds?  I doubt it.