2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I think most will agree that one of the biggest things holding this team back has been not enough Jason Foley.  

Thanks Al for your master class on always being one step ahead! 

correct, either of a couple guys hitting the ball out of the park down on Monroe street? No need for any of that!

Seriously though, Hinch's total obsession with having total pitching match-up flexibility when his team is being shut out every other night and he can't give the relievers he has enough work to be sharp, has become beyond baffling.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

correct, either of a couple guys hitting the ball out of the park down on Monroe street? No need for any of that!

Seriously though, Hinch's total obsession with having total pitching match-up flexibility when his team is being shut out every other night and he can't give the relievers he has enough work to be sharp, has become beyond baffling.

Is it Hinch or Avila pulling the trigger on these transactions? I assume it's more of a collaboration (ie. before game) working out scenarios given how quickly he states this stuff to the media after games.

32 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Is it Hinch or Avila pulling the trigger on these transactions? I assume it's more of a collaboration (ie. before game) working out scenarios given how quickly he states this stuff to the media after games.

i guess I don't see why a GM would be telling a manager how many pitchers he wants him to carry, maybe which ones he can have inside that number, but who knows.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Could be this, or it could be Hinch trying to maximize his pitching advantage because his team is in danger of being shut out every other night. The need to manage his staff throughout an entire season notwithstanding, were at the point now where we have to get a win right away, so he might be managing each game in that must-win-today, more, including matchups. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

i guess I don't see why a GM would be telling a manager how many pitchers he wants him to carry, maybe which ones he can have inside that number, but who knows.

I think Hinch has had input into player acquisition since November 2020. 

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Could be this, or it could be Hinch trying to maximize his pitching advantage because his team is in danger of being shut out every other night. The need to manage his staff throughout an entire season notwithstanding, were at the point now where we have to get a win right away, so he might be managing each game in that must-win-today, more, including matchups. 

It's kinda hard for me to buy this when Michael Fulmer/Greg Soto are going 4-5 games between appearances

Edited by mtutiger

Jim Leyland Palmer
12:11
Dan, is the Tiger's season completely toast in mid May? Is there any hope for any meaningful baseball in 2022 for them? If not, what's the best approach with this current group to regroup for 2023?
ReactReact

12:11
Meaningful in playoffs? Probably not. But meaningful in getting better, there's still a lot they can do.

Take as much a future-centered approach as possible. If your choice is seeing what a 2023 option can do and what a 2022 option can do, take the former.

Unfortunately there isn't much to do until the hitters wake up except trying to keep players like Hasse , Willie C, Harold C from losing games defensively which is why I would send them all down ASAP for Garneau, Short and Reyes ( when ready). I want solid defense when we substitute s starter. We have lost about four games defensively this season already. No reason for that with better defenders  in the system and the current bench players can not field OR hit.

I would stick with Torkelson and give him time to adjust which makes it hard to promote Clemens from AAA but I doubt he is a major league player anyway. Miggy is blocking him making it difficult to audition players like Clemens as he holds a roster spot on reputation only. It's going to be an increasingly difficult situation that is over the head of Al's  ability. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Realistically the best case scenario is we end up about where we did last year. While disappointed I would be OK with that if it came with guys like Tork, Greene, Mize, Manning, Skubal etc. looking good on the way there. Like I'd rather finish with 60 some wins and those guys play very well but we lose do to cast offs or bullpen failure than win mid to upper 70s but those guys look bad but we win thanks to our AAAA guys or dudes like Schoop and Grossman who aren't going to be here for the future. 

• Thanks 1

Szymborski is right.  It's not a playoff team.  It never really was.  This is a development year.  Unfortunately, most of the key pieces - Greene, Mize, Manning - have been hurt.  Another big piece - Torkelson - is off to a slow start.  How well those players do the rest of the season will determine what the off-season and 2023 look like.