2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

7 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Unfortunately there isn't much to do until the hitters wake up except trying to keep players like Hasse , Willie C, Harold C from losing games defensively which is why I would send them all down ASAP for Garneau, Short and Reyes ( when ready). I want solid defense when we substitute s starter. We have lost about four games defensively this season already. No reason for that with better defenders  in the system and the current bench players can not field OR hit.

I would stick with Torkelson and give him time to adjust which makes it hard to promote Clemens from AAA but I doubt he is a major league player anyway. Miggy is blocking him making it difficult to audition players like Clemens as he holds a roster spot on reputation only. It's going to be an increasingly difficult situation that is over the head of Al's  ability. 

Agreed.

With respect to Haase, the experiment should end sooner or later, even if he gets claimed by someone else and rebounds again. His defense pretty much locks him into a DH going forward if that tail risk comes true

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think Hinch has had input into player acquisition since November 2020. 

Without question. Shortly after Hinch was hired he conducted interviews that would give you the impression, if you didn’t know better, that he was the GM. At the time that was my impression when hearing him speak. I honestly think Al has relied heavily on Hinch’s opinions and advice. 

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Without question. Shortly after Hinch was hired he conducted interviews that would give you the impression, if you didn’t know better, that he was the GM. At the time that was my impression when hearing him speak. I honestly think Al has relied heavily on Hinch’s opinions and advice. 

Also a big reason I dont see the opt-out line as a reflection of reality.

Success or not, managers in other places don't generally get that kind of authority

23 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I want solid defense when we substitute s starter. We have lost about four games defensively this season already. No reason for that with better defenders  in the system and the current bench players can not field OR hit.

this. this. this.

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Also a big reason I dont see the opt-out line as a reflection of reality.

Success or not, managers in other places don't generally get that kind of authority

And for the opt-out to make sense, someone else would have to want him.  After failures in Arizona and Detroit, and a disgraceful player mutiny in Houston, who would that be?

4 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

And for the opt-out to make sense, someone else would have to want him.  After failures in Arizona and Detroit, and a disgraceful player mutiny in Houston, who would that be?

I honestly do not feel that the rest of the league feels as you do about AJ's time in Houston, having said that, the implicit idea of the "opt out" line is that the rest of the league would give him a pass for everything that is happening here during his tenure. And that doesn't reflect reality either.

I like AJ Hinch and generally am OK with the job he's doing here. And I understand that there have been plenty of decisions made prior to his time here that have negatively impacted this franchise. But you have to compartmentalize the macro and the micro, and in the micro, I don't see what has transpired over these couple of years as being something that would springboard a team toward letting go of a winning manager and hiring AJ Hinch.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I honestly do not feel that the rest of the league feels as you do about AJ's time in Houston, having said that, the implicit idea of the "opt out" line is that the rest of the league would give him a pass for everything that is happening here during his tenure. And that doesn't reflect reality either.

I like AJ Hinch and generally am OK with the job he's doing here. And I understand that there have been plenty of decisions made prior to his time here that have negatively impacted this franchise. But you have to compartmentalize the macro and the micro, and in the micro, I don't see what has transpired over these couple of years as being something that would springboard a team toward letting go of a winning manager and hiring AJ Hinch.

Agreed, he needs to be evaluated on managing the pitching staff, managing the clubhouse, and motivating the players.  I don't see that he is above replacement level in any of those.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Just to add, at a larger level, the whole rumor was probably just Lynn Henning shooting his mouth off and taking advantage of the fact that the Tigers fanbase has a natural inferiority complex based on a number of factors (lack of success during the Avila years, lack of WS during last successful period, etc.). He has experienced what we haven't.... and we don't feel worthy.

Even though, similar to when Mariucci became head coach for the Lions, even though he has had success and way more than his boss, he still can make mistakes and should be evaluated with clear eyes.

Edited by mtutiger

How many kids have we had to rush into action?  

Mize, Manning out.  Torkelson an early season fail.  Badoo a sophmore slump.  No HRs at all.  Candy and Schoop not good until lately.   Haase no hit, no field. 

We have problems. 

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

How many kids have we had to rush into action?  

Mize, Manning out.  Torkelson an early season fail.  Badoo a sophmore slump.  No HRs at all.  Candy and Schoop not good until lately.   Haase no hit, no field. 

We have problems. 

I hate to say "I told you so" to this forum, but I said it for the last three months that this is one of the worst lineups in the AL if not all of baseball. This really isn't surprising and the true colors of our hitters are showing.......... We are no where near the finished product of this rebuild.  I continue to hope I'm wrong, but so far I've unfortunately been pretty spot on..... 

1 minute ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I hate to say "I told you so" to this forum, but I said it for the last three months that this is one of the worst lineups in the AL if not all of baseball. This really isn't surprising and the true colors of our hitters are showing.......... We are no where near the finished product of this rebuild.  I continue to hope I'm wrong, but so far I've unfortunately been pretty spot on..... 

Congrats.

• Haha 1

Just now, mtutiger said:

Congrats.

This is the one time I wish I was dead wrong. 

Now, having said that, I think Next year will be a lot brighter. We aren't barren by any means.

Baez
Torkelson (he'll be fine)
Greene
Daniel Cabrera 
D. Dingler

Thats going to be a pretty solid core. I have faith in all of those guys. We might be able to add Grossman to that. Everyone else IMO isn't MLB quality.  I really hope people don't lose faith in Tork. Plenty of people have failed at the MLB level in their first call up. He will be just fine.  

Kreidler might be able to be added on that list. But I'm not nearly sold on his hitting ability for some reason.... I'd bank that Daniel Cabrera will be better than Kreidler. Candy isn't a Division 1 Starter but he is a Division 2 type guy. 

I think the Tigers are going to have to deal some arms for some hitting prospects. Only two more years of Cabrera's contract too. So we will have some room to make waves in FA next off season as well....... 

23 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

This is the one time I wish I was dead wrong. 

Now, having said that, I think Next year will be a lot brighter. We aren't barren by any means.

Baez
Torkelson (he'll be fine)
Greene
Daniel Cabrera 
D. Dingler

Thats going to be a pretty solid core. I have faith in all of those guys. We might be able to add Grossman to that. Everyone else IMO isn't MLB quality.  I really hope people don't lose faith in Tork. Plenty of people have failed at the MLB level in their first call up. He will be just fine.  

Kreidler might be able to be added on that list. But I'm not nearly sold on his hitting ability for some reason.... I'd bank that Daniel Cabrera will be better than Kreidler. Candy isn't a Division 1 Starter but he is a Division 2 type guy. 

I think the Tigers are going to have to deal some arms for some hitting prospects. Only two more years of Cabrera's contract too. So we will have some room to make waves in FA next off season as well....... 

What do you see in Daniel Cabrera?