2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

this. this. this.

yeah, if someone is a good enough hitter where you can forgive subpar defense, they are usually in the starting line-up.  Everybody on the bench should be able to field at a couple of positions well.  

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

This is the one time I wish I was dead wrong. 

Now, having said that, I think Next year will be a lot brighter. We aren't barren by any means.

Baez
Torkelson (he'll be fine)
Greene
Daniel Cabrera 
D. Dingler

Thats going to be a pretty solid core. I have faith in all of those guys. We might be able to add Grossman to that. Everyone else IMO isn't MLB quality.  I really hope people don't lose faith in Tork. Plenty of people have failed at the MLB level in their first call up. He will be just fine.  

Kreidler might be able to be added on that list. But I'm not nearly sold on his hitting ability for some reason.... I'd bank that Daniel Cabrera will be better than Kreidler. Candy isn't a Division 1 Starter but he is a Division 2 type guy. 

I think the Tigers are going to have to deal some arms for some hitting prospects. Only two more years of Cabrera's contract too. So we will have some room to make waves in FA next off season as well....... 

Daniel Cabrera?  Can we say "told you so" after he is released?

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I honestly do not feel that the rest of the league feels as you do about AJ's time in Houston, having said that, the implicit idea of the "opt out" line is that the rest of the league would give him a pass for everything that is happening here during his tenure. And that doesn't reflect reality either.

I like AJ Hinch and generally am OK with the job he's doing here. And I understand that there have been plenty of decisions made prior to his time here that have negatively impacted this franchise. But you have to compartmentalize the macro and the micro, and in the micro, I don't see what has transpired over these couple of years as being something that would springboard a team toward letting go of a winning manager and hiring AJ Hinch.

1) because the rest of the league was doing the same or very similar things.  houston just got caught.

2) hinch was going to get the white sox job until reinsdorf decided to hire his old buddy larussa.

3) hinch got more out of this god awful team last year than we were entitled to see.  this year?  injuries and a piss poor talent base have caught up with us.  it happens.  this team had little margin for error and needed a lot of luck.  theyre not getting any luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

3) hinch got more out of this god awful team last year than we were entitled to see.  this year?  injuries and a piss poor talent base have caught up with us.  it happens.  this team had little margin for error and needed a lot of luck.  theyre not getting any luck.

If Hinch got more out of this god awful team last year, why isn't he doing it this year?

Have you considered that explaining the Tigers situation away on luck (both their success last year and failure this year) kinda undermines the whole point that all of the Tigers success last year is because of AJ Hinch?

Again, people want to have it both ways and it doesn't work.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

If Hinch got more out of this god awful team last year, why isn't he doing it this year?

Have you considered that explaining the Tigers situation away on luck (both their success last year and failure this year) kinda undermines the whole point that all of the Tigers success last year is because of AJ Hinch?

He can't bat for the hitters. If the guys would hit this conversation is not happening period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

1) because the rest of the league was doing the same or very similar things.  houston just got caught.

2) hinch was going to get the white sox job until reinsdorf decided to hire his old buddy larussa.

3) hinch got more out of this god awful team last year than we were entitled to see.  this year?  injuries and a piss poor talent base have caught up with us.  it happens.  this team had little margin for error and needed a lot of luck.  theyre not getting any luck.

How do you know their record last year was because of Hinch?  Teams get luckly and have random good years all the time.  It's not like it's trending into this year.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

It's like a political discussion.  When something good happens it's because your guy made it happen.  If something bad happens, it's somebody else's fault.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Also a big reason I dont see the opt-out line as a reflection of reality.

Success or not, managers in other places don't generally get that kind of authority

Yeah I’d be really surprised to see Hinch opt out after this year, and even more surprised to see him fired.

Tell you this much: if Hinch does opt out I will despair for this franchise. Because that would mean something has gone so terribly, terribly in the front office wrong that he believes can’t be fixed. 

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah I’d be really surprised to see Hinch opt out after this year, and even more surprised to see him fired.

Tell you this much: if Hinch does opt out I will despair for this franchise. Because that would mean something has gone so terribly, terribly in the front office wrong that he believes can’t be fixed. 

I am still not sure that all the player development hires after he was hired is a coincidence.

Which, if that means AJ is more involved on that side of the house, is absolutely a good thing.

Edited by mtutiger

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I am still not sure that all the player development hires after he was hired is a coincidence.

Which, if that means AJ is more involved on that side of the house, is absolutely a good thing.

Not clear what you mean by the bold-faced?

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not clear what you mean by the bold-faced?

The team underwent some organizational restructuring late last year, particularly relating to player development.

The upshot being that AJ's fingerprints were likely all over that

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe they can get Dusty Baker.  He is doing great in Hinch's old role.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

because his OPS in MLB is like .200 lol. 

I think that's better than many of our current players and he can catch and throw. He's a utility player which suggest he has utility versus the futility of our current bench players.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

The maddening thing is we do have talent on this team based on multiple years of production in Baez, Meadows, Candy, Schoop, Grossman but they are all stinking up the joint. Yes we have injuries but offensively only Greene, which considering Torks adjustment ,he might not be that much of an impact at this point. Crazy bad. Look at their stats..Grossman has a.263 SLUGGING percentage for one example. It's not just bad it's ugly.

"They all need to go out on the town slump busting" - Mark Grace.