2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, Faedo has been a pleasant surprise so far.  He wasn't someone I was previously envisioning as a future starter.  We will learn more obout his durability thiks season.    

Next year could be get tricky if Mize, Manning, Turnbull and Faedo are all healty, but then again, how likely is that!?

Edited by gehringer_2

22 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Next year could be get tricky if Mize, Manning, Turnbull and Faedo are all healty, but then again, how likely is that!?

That's not to speak of the fact that they have guys like Wentz, Olson and Hill that could all be knocking on the door this time next year. 

Good problem to have.

Edited by mtutiger

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Turning the Corner Podcast had an interesting discussion about leadership and how, at least from the outside, it seems like this team kinda lacks of a true leader in the clubhouse. And how many may have had a perception of Baez being that guy but that, despite his qualities as a showman on the field, is a much more complex dude off the field.

At this point, it seems like Barnhart fills that role to an extent, as he seems to talk to the media often and relay the mood of the team, but it's an interesting observation... I don't know that it matters much though.

Everyone expects the best player on the team to be the leader of the clubhouse and the mentor of all young players. People expected that of Miggy, too. He wasn’t, at least not in the way we’d like to have seen.

I think people expect the same of Javy, and he does present as a leader on the field, maybe because the act of playing is such an emotional experience for him. But he’s always been known as a quiet and thoughtful guy off the field, maybe in part because of his sad past (e.g., he lost his sister to spinal bifida early in his career). So the kind of player leadership every clubhouse needs is probably going to have to come from someone else.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Faedo is a revelation.  I had him written off forever.  

He was completely off my radar, too, so anything we get from him is a bonus in miNd. That said, he gave up a lot of hard contact both early and late yesterday and got assists from good defense and Lady Luck. So, I need to see more. 

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Everyone expects the best player on the team to be the leader of the clubhouse and the mentor of all young players. People expected that of Miggy, too. He wasn’t, at least not in the way we’d like to have seen.

I think people expect the same of Javy, and he does present as a leader on the field, maybe because the act of playing is such an emotional experience for him. But he’s always been known as a quiet and thoughtful guy off the field, maybe in part because of his sad past (e.g., he lost his sister to spinal bifida early in his career). So the kind of player leadership every clubhouse needs is probably going to have to come from someone else.

Interesting. I don't think you need to be a great performer to lead, but I do think you need to be a steady one - and good enough your job is secure. Guys who are always going in and out of slumps have to consume too much of their own mental energy on themselves  - so that leaves out Schoop, Baez, Grossman etc. OTOH, I think despite not being an all-star, Alex Avila was a team leader - other than one year he wasn't much at the plate, but he was always a solid receiver and consistent in doing what he could do with the bat, and that kind of combination is/was enough for credibility I think.

If Torkelson makes it, I think he is the most likely candidate to grow into the role. Candy would be the other obvious possibility, but I think he's a little too sweet to push anyone - maybe not...

Edited by gehringer_2

Miggy has stepped up as a leader this year according to the Tiger's broadcasters. The glove for Torkelson, team speech after the 3000th hit, pulling individual players aside for a pep talk. Maybe it helps that he isn't on the field saving some aches and pains in his legs.

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He was completely off my radar, too, so anything we get from him is a bonus in miNd. That said, he gave up a lot of hard contact both early and late yesterday and got assists from good defense and Lady Luck. So, I need to see more. 

This is right. I will say that I am encouraged that he's showing this level of productivity while still just coming off TJ. Most of us probably didn't expect to see him in Detroit this quickly at all and that he'd be given more time in Toledo, although injuries have obviously pushed the issue. Gives me some home he can improve from what we have seen.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

That's not to speak of the fact that they have guys like Wentz, Olson and Hill that could all be knocking on the door this time next year. 

Good problem to have.

It won't be a problem.  Pitching depth "problems" always take care of themselves.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, Faedo has been a pleasant surprise so far.  He wasn't someone I was previously envisioning as a future starter.  We will learn more obout his durability thiks season.    

Well, the first season off TJ is usually a bumpy road and they should be cautious with him. The second year is when they generally return to full health.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Next year at this time, we'll have a whole new set of pitching situations that we didn't anticipate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

... If Torkelson makes it, I think he is the most likely candidate to grow into the role...

I think both Tork and Greene will be able to become leaders on our now and future teams.

If Dingler's bat can cut it in MLB, I think he too has that type of potential.

That will put less stress on Baez (I think hugely beneficial) and "retire" Miggy as the expected/ possible/ but not really clubhouse leader.

Add some scrappy/talented guy like Kreidler or Workman and I think our leadership team is all set for the future.

But we ain't quite yet there... today...

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Mine as well. Let's hope Michael doesn't send him fishing in Lake Tahoe.