2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Interesting. I don't think you need to be a great performer to lead, but I do think you need to be a steady one - and good enough your job is secure. Guys who are always going in and out of slumps have to consume too much of their own mental energy on themselves  - so that leaves out Schoop, Baez, Grossman etc. OTOH, I think despite not being an all-star, Alex Avila was a team leader - other than one year he wasn't much at the plate, but he was always a solid receiver and consistent in doing what he could do with the bat, and that kind of combination is/was enough for credibility I think.

When I read this I immediately thought of Neifi Perez. I thought, here's a guy, worst player in the majors at just about any given point in his career, and yet he managed to generate some 5,000 at bats across 12 years in the majors. I remember thinking at the time, how does this guy keep getting work as a major league regular? Is he some force of nature in the clubhouse who serves as a leader and a catalyst for the teams he is on? But then I concluded for myself that's kind of silly, and it's been proven out because as far as I can tell, he is out of baseball in any capacity now.

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If Torkelson makes it, I think he is the most likely candidate to grow into the role. Candy would be the other obvious possibility, but I think he's a little too sweet to push anyone - maybe not...

I was actually going to post that Tork might be the next leader on this team, because of all the fire he shows on the field and his poise in being interviewed ... but I decided against it because it would have undermined the entire point of my post! 😆

Edited by chasfh

44 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

It looks like one roster vacancy has been resolved.  There was a lot of concern here about the role of Big Fat Righthanded Reliever and how it might be vacant, but Rony Garcia staked a claim for the job this afternoon.

the rotation for the Cleveland series is already listed as Skubal/Faedo/Brieske, so they are just skipping the 5th starter spot on the open day tomorrow. Can Brieske refine a breaking ball in 5 days?

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the rotation for the Cleveland series is already listed as Skubal/Faedo/Brieske, so they are just skipping the 5th starter spot on the open day tomorrow. Can Brieske refine a breaking ball in 5 days?

I know they won't do it but Skubal looks like a 250 innings guy, he looks like a guy who is not going to get injured.  He is so big and strong, and that delivery is so fluid and consistent.

11 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I know they won't do it but Skubal looks like a 250 innings guy, he looks like a guy who is not going to get injured.  He is so big and strong, and that delivery is so fluid and consistent.

you have doomed Skubal to a gruesome fate

also

Is there a reason why they don't want to stretch out Wily Peralta to be a starter?  With all the starting pitchers dropping like flies and his experience in starting, seems like they would have done this weeks ago.  What's their reasoning for keeping him in the arm barn?  

4 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Is there a reason why they don't want to stretch out Wily Peralta to be a starter?  With all the starting pitchers dropping like flies and his experience in starting, seems like they would have done this weeks ago.  What's their reasoning for keeping him in the arm barn?  

Who knows? I would think that Brieske with the good swing and miss FB could slide into a relief role with some success and we know Wily is pitching near to his best form. I guess one possible answer is they have already pulled the plug on the season and care more about working Brieske through developing his breaking stuff even on MLB time than about the results.

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

When do we start asking questions about the trainers/med staff with this team? 

But in all seriousness, those quad strains for Victor Reyes make you question the training staff, that was my first thought when he got the second one.