2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Zach Short was not a good fielder for the Tigers last year. 

The Tigers should bring up Kreidler when the feel he is ready.  They shouldn't bring him up because Schoop is in a slump.  

Dont bring him up because Schoop is in a slump. Bring him up to replace him. The Mets owed Robinson Cano big, big money. And they still cut him because he was only hitting .180. Yeah, OK. The Tigers aren't scoring runs consistently and Schoop is hitting ~.160. But by all means, let him play all summer to see if he starts hitting. In years past, before huge contracts were guaranteed, he would have been cut. I guess it's just that I dread seeing him come to bat and kill any possibility of a....rally.

If it were me I'd find a different sacrificial lamb than Brieske to make a couple of starts - maybe more BP days, or Peralta or Fulmer. Kid has potential but his off speed command just isn't there yet. Seems excessively cruel to keep beating the kid up in particular when you could be spreading the pain around more widely. It's not there is much need to preserve depth in the back of the BP when you don't have any save or hold situations for Chafin, Fulmer and Soto anyway. This is Hinch again feeling like he has to have all these levers to push on a machine that isn't even turned on.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If it were me I'd find a different sacrificial lamb than Brieske to make a couple of starts - maybe more BP days, or Peralta or Fulmer. Kid has potential but his off speed command just isn't there yet. Seems excessively cruel to keep beating the kid up in particular when you could be spreading the pain around more widely. It's not there is much need to preserve depth in the back of the BP when you don't have any save or hold situations for Chafin, Fulmer and Soto anyway. This is Hinch again feeling like he has to have all these levers to push on a machine that isn't even turned on.

I hate bullpen days.  I understand they may be necessary in case of an injury, but to make them a regular thing is silly.  Too much risk of over-working your relief pitchers.  Then they need a couple of days off and you are in no better position than before.  Not to mention the injury risk.  It's just not worth it.  

I think Brieske is fine.  He'll learn a lot more from Fetter than whoever is in AAA.  Sometimes the best development is at the ML level.  The Tigers don't have many options for starters with all of their injuries.  Do the Tigers even have anyone is AAA that will give us more innings than Brieske?  I'm still wondering why they don't want to stretch Wily Peralta out.    

There are many things from Hinch to complain about, but the use of Brieske probably isn't one of them.  

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I think Brieske is fine.  He'll learn a lot more from Fetter than whoever is in AAA.  Sometimes the best development is at the ML level.  The Tigers don't have many options for starters with all of their injuries.  Do the Tigers even have anyone is AAA that will give us more innings than Brieske?  I'm still wondering why they don't want to stretch Wily Peralta out.    

I'm going to disagree in Brieske's case and my logic is this: What he has to do is throw more breaking balls in competition but he can't go that in a major league game because he immediately gets behind and has to come in with the FB and get hammered, so he won't throw it. So he either stays in the game as best he can without getting enough work on the breaking balls, or he throws it and ends up quickly out of the game. I don't think this is the same thing as learning to sequence or learning ML hitters or even getting on top of his fastball more (Skubal last season). He doesn't really seem to have the pitches down at all yet, so Brieske needs reps doing exactly something he can't stay in games doing at this level. Maybe Fetter is a miracle worker but I don't see how he makes much progress, or at least as quickly as he could against better matched competition.

Sure, I hope he throws a shutout next time out, I just don't see how he gets there yet.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm going to disagree in Brieske's case and my logic is this: What he has to do is throw more breaking balls in competition but he can't go that in a major league game because he immediately gets behind and has to come in with the FB and get hammered, so he won't throw it. So he either stays in the game as best he can without getting enough work on the breaking balls, or he throws it and ends up quickly out of the game. I don't think this is the same thing as learning to sequence or learning ML hitters or even getting on top of his fastball more (Skubal last season). He doesn't really seem to have the pitches down at all yet, so Brieske needs reps doing exactly something he can't stay in games doing at this level. Maybe Fetter is a miracle worker but I don't see how he makes much progress, or at least as quickly as he could against better matched competition.

Sure, I hope he throws a shutout next time out, I just don't see how he gets there yet.

I'll admit that I don't keep up with all the Tigers prospects.  Brieske was only rated around 20th in the Tigers system. Does anyone really think he's going to be a starter in the Big Leagues long-term?  If his ceiling is only that of a middle reliever, he can ditch his weakest pitch, if it is his curveball.  

The Tigers are only in this situation because the have 5 starting pitchers on the IL.  If they have someone in their minor league system that can perform better than he has been, then of course I'm all for it.  To me, Brieske seems to be their best option right now and I don't think his development is hurting at all. Just my 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

To me, Brieske seems to be their best option right now and I don't think his development is hurting at all. Just my 2 cents. 

yeah - the problem is all the options are crap. we are left to mull over which crappy options might be less crappy.

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - the problem is all the options are crap. we are left to mull over which crappy options might be less crappy.

This season is lost.  So we might as well look at the kids and let them battle through.   Lets see how they fare facing teams a second time.   Probably won't be pretty, but this is the time to see what you potentially have because obviously with Turnbull coming back and a couple other starters that may be ready for a leap next year, we're going to have to make a couple of trades to get some decent bats.    Figure all that out now.      I just have my doubts about the guy making these trades.    I can't tolerate another season of this next year.   I'm gonna be apoplectic if 2023 starts anything like this again.  I don't care what they do the rest of this season, you can't play like this and lose all hope before you play 50 games.    Crush me in September, at least I will have had a good ride.  

I don’t think the Tigers are willing to shrug their shoulders and say oh well the season is lost. Heck, it’s not even Memorial Day yet. Technically anyway, we have a lot of time to come back and win the division, plus the front office basically indicated earlier this year that the rebuild is done, or at least turned the corner. So they can’t just throw all their kids into the pool just to see who drowns and who floats. They’re still trying to get back in it to win it. I think that’s why they’re rushing Manning back in without the at least one more rehab start he probably needs: we’re getting desperate to win.

I don’t necessarily agree that’s the best approach in this particular instance, but I totally get why they are approaching it as they are.

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think the Tigers are willing to shrug their shoulders and say oh well the season is lost. Heck, it’s not even Memorial Day yet. Technically anyway, we have a lot of time to come back and win the division, plus the front office basically indicated earlier this year that the rebuild is done, or at least turned the corner. So they can’t just throw all their kids into the pool just to see who drowns and who floats. They’re still trying to get back in it to win it. I think that’s why they’re rushing Manning back in without the at least one more rehab start he probably needs: we’re getting desperate to win.

I don’t necessarily agree that’s the best approach in this particular instance, but I totally get why they are approaching it as they are.

yeah - Hinch appeared just a little bit PO'd that McClendon pulled Manning from his last start when he hit the system 30 pitch/inning rule. OTOH, CCG made the point in the game thread Tuesday that there is a good reason that limit is there. If they bring him back without more rehab will they hold him to 50-60 pitches in his start?

Edited by gehringer_2

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So ... what's the latest with Casey Mize?

They've locked him in a dark room with his arm tied down until he agrees to have pre-emptive TJ before June 1

Seriously - I've seen nothing since Monday's report that he is in FLA and not cleared to throw .

Edited by gehringer_2

Here's a pretty fun article in the Athletic if you have access to it. It's a guy's attempt to track every baseball used in a selected major league game, i.e., Tigers and Guardians.

Spoiler alert: the number of baseballs used in this game was 115.