2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It kinda makes sense... there were an insane amount of foul balls in his last start, and the pitches weren't bad.

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It kinda makes sense... there were an insane amount of foul balls in his last start, and the pitches weren't bad.

I hit a pay wall on the link but I would like to know if Brieske himself figured this out or it was something one of the coaches saw and suggested to him. I would like to think someone at the coaching level would be attentive enough to recognize this if this is in fact the case.

15 hours ago, BBFCFM said:

I thought this was/is incredibly interesting:

This was interesting.  One thing I noticed was how the list dramatically changed with each new generation, but has stayed the same since 1990 other than Cabrera.  The  Cabrera era had other great players, but they didn't stay in Detroit long enough to accumulate WAR.  

Check out how this current Tigers team compares against all the teams in big league history that averaged fewer than three runs per game for an entire season.

What jumps out at me is how much ground we have to make up to get even to 3.

image.thumb.png.6376f3791dead76dba67abd8b4595abf.png

Edited by chasfh

All they need is a 16-3 blow out today and their average jumps to 3.  Get it done!

What the chart does show is that it's very hard to have a decent record when you average fewer than 3 runs per game.  

Edited by Tiger337

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Check out how this current Tigers team compares against all the teams in big league history that averaged fewer than three runs per game for an entire season.

What jumps out at me is how much ground we have to make up to get even to 3.

image.thumb.png.6376f3791dead76dba67abd8b4595abf.png

This is a nice find, very intersting - thanks for posting.  Just think how bad this team would be if the team pitching stats were below average or even league average?  Tigers would have the worst record in MLB.

18 hours ago, BBFCFM said:

I thought this was/is incredibly interesting:

First reactions:

There are names beyond Cobb-Crawford-Mullin from 1900-1915 who I should know more about, like Kid Elberfield and Matty McIntyre. And surely Donnie Bush is the most forgotten, underrated star in Tigers history, no?

Sadly, no change to top 15 since 1996 except for insertion of Miggy. Not even McAuliffe, Parish or Lemon displaced  

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

Here's another list: all the teams in big league history who have scored 125 runs or less in their first 46 games of the season:

image.png.0bf53cbeb8d27dfe59f4c5ad036bdf15.png

The run-scoring futility is almost impressive.

deadball eras, two teams not trying to win, and al avila's tigers.

well, good new, bad news from Columbus tonight where the Mudhens got rocked 9-1. 

The bad news was Tyler Alexander gave up 5 of the runs in 3 IP. The good news was Greene played CF and had a hit (1/4) and Vest pitched an inning giving up one hit and tallying a K.

Edited by gehringer_2