2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

I haven’t been paying a lot of attention — I’ve been sick most of this month  — and I only just now realized we’re in a new deadball era. I’m going back to the beginning of May on this thread because I assume that’s where the discussion might take place.

But if anybody wants to summarize what’s going on with that and if that’s one of the reasons we’ve sucked I would appreciate it. Has MLB over corrected? I know Chuck @chasfhhas done some extensive research on the nature of the ball these last few years and I’m wondering if our hitters who seemingly over performed last year are underperforming in relation to the ball. I’m sure there’s other things like regression to the mean etc. 

I know he was serving as the 27th man, but does it just feel wrong to return him to Toledo when he exited the game injured while throwing the shutout? 

Also, how does that work...do they ask him if he is ok, then have him sign a form/waiver to go back down?Seems like if you are injured on the pro team, you'd have the benefit associated with that level (medical and service time) until you are cleared?  I confess I'm not sure how that works in this situation as the 27th man.

Edited by StatikIEV

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Did he talk about what he used to do in the 80s when umpires made bad calls?

No, but then, I think Morris might have been conflicted on whether the call was actually bad.

EDIT: To be clear, I’m kidding about Morris being conflicted as a pitcher versus a hitter, not Morris as a Twin vs a Tiger.

Edited by chasfh

TBH, one terrible call is not the worst. Umps blink, hiccup, whatever, missing ONE call once in a while can be expected in any human endeavor, it's the umps that miss ten or twelve in a game or shift their zone during a game etc,  and so tilt the outcome that are unacceptable.

11 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I haven’t been paying a lot of attention — I’ve been sick most of this month  — and I only just now realized we’re in a new deadball era. I’m going back to the beginning of May on this thread because I assume that’s where the discussion might take place.

But if anybody wants to summarize what’s going on with that and if that’s one of the reasons we’ve sucked I would appreciate it. Has MLB over corrected? I know Chuck @chasfhhas done some extensive research on the nature of the ball these last few years and I’m wondering if our hitters who seemingly over performed last year are underperforming in relation to the ball. I’m sure there’s other things like regression to the mean etc. 

I was wondering whether I could easily and quickly cut through last year’s and this year’s Statcast data to see whether I can locate some key differences, but that might take me the rest of the year, given my general lack of capabilities (i.e., Excel and nothing else).

Tell you which slugger is doing just fine, though: our old buddy J.D. Martinez. In a league where batting averages are dropping like toilet floats, he’s basically leading the league in batting average, hitting around .360. But how he’s gotten there is a big deal: he’s changed the launch angle profile of his hitting so that his line drive rate is by far the highest of his career (31% vs previous high of 24%), and his fly ball rate is down to a career low of 32% (down from recent seasons over 40%).

This is just one anecdotal example, but it is a clear indication of how a hard hitter can adjust his swing and still crush it in a new deader-ball environment. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBH, one terrible call is not the worst. Umps blink, hiccup, whatever, missing ONE call once in a while can be expected in any human endeavor, it's the umps that miss ten or twelve in a game or shift their zone during a game etc,  and so tilt the outcome that are unacceptable.

I have long wondered how much a strike three call on a pitch that’s obviously out of the zone has to do with an umpire being annoyed when a batter presumes ball four and starts trotting toward first before the umpire makes the call.

4 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

There are few things on this forum that bring me as much joy as when Chuck comments on Jack Morris. I'm not being facetious, I really enjoy it.

I tried to give you a laugh face on this but somehow I am already out of reactions on a day I haven’t given any.